U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So where do you buy Groceries?
Krogers 20 12.20%
Safeway 16 9.76%
Wal-Mart 20 12.20%
Aldi's 4 2.44%
Target 4 2.44%
Meijers 6 3.66%
Kmart 0 0%
any organic food store 18 10.98%
any foreign Market store 1 0.61%
other 75 45.73%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,035,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I have orgasms over their buffalo chicken wing pizza smothered in bleu cheese!
Don't ever mention orgasms and bleu cheese in the same sentence again. I might have to skip lunch today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 PM

187 posts, read 477,344 times
Treasure Island, a small chain of European grocery stores in Chicago.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM

30,220 posts, read 67,358,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Don't ever mention orgasms and bleu cheese in the same sentence again. I might have to skip lunch today.
Oops! I didn't even see the irony in that!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,619,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Oops! I didn't even see the irony in that!
duuuude you crack me up every time, man....thanks for the laugh

anyways, I noticed in VA that there's Food Lion, is there any Food Lions in other states? VA was the only state that I noticed that had food lion

Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,597 times
a local family found a giant metal clamp inside an Aldi frozen dinner under the plastic wrapping. Hilarious for me, but terrifying for anyone who eats food there.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,161,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
duuuude you crack me up every time, man....thanks for the laugh

anyways, I noticed in VA that there's Food Lion, is there any Food Lions in other states? VA was the only state that I noticed that had food lion
I've seen them in NC, MD and DE too. I think they're HQ'd in NC. I remember TV commercials in which the spokesman had a very thick southern accent when he'd say "Food Lahhn, Extra Loeew Prahces."

Old 07-08-2008, 12:39 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,752,281 times
Hy-Vee. Sometimes Price Chopper. I get some stuff at Big Lots whenever I can. They're dirt cheap.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:43 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,464,536 times
Where is Publix on this list? They pretty much killed Winn Dixie here in Atlanta and Wal-Mart put them in the Grave.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:16 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,161,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Where is Publix on this list? They pretty much killed Winn Dixie here in Atlanta and Wal-Mart put them in the Grave.
Most regional supermarkets aren't on the list.

How many truly national supermarket chains are there, though? I can only think of Wal-Mart (which doesn't have grocery stores in NJ, but probably do in most other states), Whole Foods, Trader Joes, ... I see Target on the list, but they don't do groceries in NJ either (as far as I know). Do they have groceries in their stores elsewhere? Are there other nationwide chains?

Chains like:

Shop Rite
Wegmans
Price Chopper
Stop & Shop
A&P
Food Lion
Winn-Dixie
Farm Fresh
PathMark
BELO
Publix
Ralphs
Kings
Hannaford
Kroger
Meijer
DeMoulas Market Basket

etc are all regional supermarkets, each with stores in only a few states. They're all very popular in their respective regions (except BELO maybe), but unless someone has lived in or traveled to an area frequently, outsiders probably haven't heard of most of them.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:24 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Most regional supermarkets aren't on the list.

How many truly national supermarket chains are there, though? I can only think of Wal-Mart (which doesn't have grocery stores in NJ, but probably do in most other states), Whole Foods, Trader Joes, ... I see Target on the list, but they don't do groceries in NJ either (as far as I know). Do they have groceries in their stores elsewhere? Are there other nationwide chains?

Chains like:

Shop Rite
Wegmans
Price Chopper
Stop & Shop
A&P
Food Lion
Winn-Dixie
Farm Fresh
PathMark
BELO
Publix
Ralphs
Kings
Hannaford
Kroger
Meijer
DeMoulas Market Basket

etc are all regional supermarkets, each with stores in only a few states. They're all very popular in their respective regions (except BELO maybe), but unless someone has lived in or traveled to an area frequently, outsiders probably haven't heard of most of them.
Yep, that's true.

I know Safeway is 'national', even if it's not Safeway in name everywhere. They're Vons or Pavilions in SoCal, Tom Thumb in DFW, Randalls in Houston, Dominicks in Chicago, etc.

Ralph's is owned by Kroger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.