U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Cross country moving: affordable, looking for a job, mountain bike trails, real estate, downtown.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM

500 posts, read 822,137 times

Advertisements

Isn't Phoenix pretty conservative? I'd check out Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:41 PM

147 posts, read 338,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Old Town? Its for tourists, basically. There are some clubs/restaurants in the area and some new housing, but its too expensive. Minus the art galleries, Old Town is basically t-shirt shops, Indian jewelry stores, knick-knack joints, etc, not exactly a hip place for a young graduate. The OP would be FAR better looking at Tempe.
Good call Steve-O! I gather from your post that you must have a nice understanding of the East Valley. Do you make your way into Phoenix much, or did you at one time happen to call our fine cities home? LOL! You might be the first midwesterner that I have spoken with, that doesn't already live in Phoenix! I'm sure that vandy333 can use your unique situation as a visitor to help him make a more valid decision. Thanks for the info.

Actually, the first time that I thought about how to approach my response, Tempe just kept coming to mind. The reason I went the Scottsdale route instead was two fold. a) I am vastly more familiar with it than I am with Tempe, and b) his desire to be closer to outdoor activities, which Scottsdale is of course. To be honest though, the whole outdoor question is very relative since the entire Phoenix metro area sits in one of the most popular outdoor recreational sites in the nation. It just depends how fast you want to get to it. For those living on the northern edge of Scottsdale, the outdoors are a bit faster to explore on a weekly basis, than someone living in central Tempe. But we are talking about differences amouting to no more than an hour in reality.

One of the great things about Tempe is it's awesome location to everything! It literally sits in the middle of the entire area, and highway access is almost a breeze. It is also one of the few areas in the the metro that IS landlocked for the most part, and has only the option of growing "up" instead of "out". Although this may sound odd, this is a unique feature that sets Tempe apart from many of the other cities around it. This also makes it one of the most dense locations in the area. I think that it is very important to understand that Tempe, much like Phoenix, is a rapidly changing city. There are developments down there that are right on the same level, as what is going "up" in Phoenix, and even in Scottsdale. The Tempe of today, is no where near what the Tempe of 2020 will be. Tempe also has the main campus of ASU, which brings in thousands upon thousands of young students into the city each and every year. Of course along with this you get the college party scene too, but I would imagine that this wouldn't bother you too much considering your age, and would give you the amazing opportunity to meet people from all over the world. I'm sure that apartments are everywhere near the university, and they would tend to be cheaper, overall, than anything in Scottsdale. I have heard great things about the Mill Avenue down in that area as well. Living in Tempe would also give you close access to everything in south Scottsdale, which is almost a different world than most of the East Valley region. It doesn't appear that Steve-O has a great liking for Old Town like myself, but since I was just there last weekend, I can assure you that the clubs, restaurants, and cafes were all packed with young, college aged kids. The nice part is, most are very respectful to us with families, and nothing ever gets to out of hand.....well.... not until at least the early hours in the morning. There was even a couple on stilts walking around the sidewalks, making balloon animals for the little ones that very night. I just personally love spending the evening in Old Town.

Of course Old Town is just a part of the greater south Scottsdale experience. There is tons more than just that! Hope this creates a better picture of what life is like in Tempe and Scottsdale. Like I said, Tempe is where the majority of my knowledge is, but there are forum members here that are from that area, that I'm sure would be more than glad to help you.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:14 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,047,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Old Town? Its for tourists, basically. There are some clubs/restaurants in the area and some new housing, but its too expensive. Minus the art galleries, Old Town is basically t-shirt shops, Indian jewelry stores, knick-knack joints, etc, not exactly a hip place for a young graduate. The OP would be FAR better looking at Tempe.
Agreed. Scottsdale is a really nice area for things like golf and luxury homes, but Old Town isn't the most vibrant place in the world for night life or hanging out.

Tempe is far more fun for a young person.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,047,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman View Post
Isn't Phoenix pretty conservative? I'd check out Portland.
Parts of Phoenix are conservative (but not like Southern Baptist conservative...more of a moderate, libertarian conservative).

Areas like Tempe are liberal, though.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:27 PM

147 posts, read 338,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Agreed. Scottsdale is a really nice area for things like golf and luxury homes, but Old Town isn't the most vibrant place in the world for night life or hanging out.

Tempe is far more fun for a young person.
Yeah, I guess I must be really showing my age here when suggesting Old Town to a college grad. I don't know how it has been for you guys, but in my younger days, I thought every place that my parents dragged me to for a "night on the town", was the exact opposite of what I really wanted to be doing. Then, once that first kid came around, I began to really understand and embrace that kind of lifestyle. I guess that is why Old Town is such an attractive place for our family now. There is no doubt that the majority of the younger crowd concregates mostly in Tempe. I can already forsee the day when I'm telling my own teenagers,
"Don't even think about going to that club in Tempe!", and then slapping myself for sounding like my own dad. Of course, in my case it was my parents telling me to stay away from the never ending supply of clubs in LA. I can now see their wisdom in saying that! Wow! What was I thinking!!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.