U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 AM

379 posts, read 948,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I lOVE Queen City Sqaure !!!!!!!!

What a handsome building. Why can't more cities get beauts like these?? Lucky Cincy
The best architecture in Cincinnati is found on the Univerisity of Cincinnati campus. Not this^, IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,331,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_Arbor View Post
The best architecture in Cincinnati is found on the Univerisity of Cincinnati campus. Not this^, IMO
Whoever said it was the best number one, and number two were talking about high rise architecture

Old 08-21-2008, 03:04 PM

No one I hope, we all have our opinions, I'm just saying there's great architecture on U of Cincinnati's campus that people might not know of. I'm promoting that highly contextual and deep collection of designs, far more urban than this gaudy, decadent, piece of garbage. The designer of this building most of forgot about the context or maybe it's just meant to be generic and autonomous.

If you're going to through up images like that, I am going to be motivated to comment on them- sorry for disturbing the thread.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
No one I hope, we all have our opinions, I'm just saying there's great architecture on U of Cincinnati's campus that people might not know of. I'm promoting that highly contextual and deep collection of designs, far more urban than this gaudy, decadent, piece of garbage. The designer of this building most of forgot about the context or maybe it's just meant to be generic and autonomous.

If you're going to through up images like that, I am going to be motivated to comment on them- sorry for disturbing the thread.
Ok Thats cool. I respect your opinion. But you're comparing a skyscraper to a university. Now which one is automatically more urban? feeling a single building or a group of buildings? Also, Its like comparing apples to oranges again because the two are designed with different styles of architecture. Are you against skyscrapers by any chance? Do you know the nick name of Cincinnati? If you look a little harder you will see it is not out of context at all with the city. Its crown was designed like a tierra to signify what city it is in, the Queen City

Old 08-21-2008, 03:24 PM

Billiam-

Sorry if my rant was a little overly critical- nothing personal.

I'm not against high rises- I love them for what they give to urbanism/city life. A well thought out campus plan or group of campus buildings is something very similar to a contextual collection of high rises and other city buildings. I just thought this high rise, going off that rendering, seemed un contextual and too autonomous. Personally, I think the tiara/Queen city concept is a little kitschy- but again, just my opinion.

Thank you for the post and responding..

Old 08-21-2008, 03:28 PM

Have you seen some of Baltimore's new/planned high rises? What do you think? Some of them are really nice, particularly the new 'silo' renovation + new building in Locust Point near Ft. McHenry. I'll post some images later

Old 08-21-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
it looks like something that one would typically find in Chicago. OKC is on the major come up.
No way! Typical buildings in Chicago are not as nice as this. I mean there are Many buildings as nice, but 'typical' wouldn't be the word. This building is world class and there's no city on Earth with mostly world class buildings imo. Here's a few more renderings

*Drool

Last edited by Billiam; 08-21-2008 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Billiam-

Sorry if my rant was a little overly critical- nothing personal.

I'm not against high rises- I love them for what they give to urbanism/city life. A well thought out campus plan or group of campus buildings is something very similar to a contextual collection of high rises and other city buildings. I just thought this high rise, going off that rendering, seemed un contextual and too autonomous. Personally, I think the tiara/Queen city concept is a little kitschy- but again, just my opinion.

Thank you for the post and responding..
I understand Completely - thank you for not being rude about it though. We seem to have a lot of people who just get bitter when someone disagrees with them!

Quote:
Have you seen some of Baltimore's new/planned high rises? What do you think? Some of them are really nice, particularly the new 'silo' renovation + new building in Locust Point near Ft. McHenry. I'll post some images later
I like many of them. although Baltimore seems to almost always play it safe in the skyscraper department. I love what they did with Locust Point. It looks awesome! We actually have 3 buildings that could potentially be the tallest

All three are supposed to be redesigned (luckly!)

10 Inner Harbor - i used to be excited with it when the design was classy and simple - than they changed it and i can't say im too fond of the project. If built it will extend the skyline around the inner harbor, connecting the intercontinental hotel with the rest of the skyline..but Honestly, ICK!!
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1900/10ihga5.jpg (broken link)

The Naing Towers - Its only ok - hope its redesign is better though - its central downtown location is great though!

300 East Pratt Street - location is grade A but I don't really like its 'hat'. The Redesign is supposed to have a crown - lets be hopeful

But by far the best project in Baltimore is the one that is extending the Harbor East skyline - Legg Mason (26 stories) and Four Seasons (supposed to be 48-50 floors)
http://www.fourseasons.com/residence_clubs/images/generated/property/baltimore/slideshow/page_633_image_0.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-21-2008, 06:53 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,021,565 times
Quote:

it's not a centerpiece bldg. qcs is going to balance the skyline, and prepare the city for the big show, a crown jewel between carew and qcs. if that building isn't cutting edge, then the criticism would be fair. but to critique a striking building that will break a 77-year run by carew is a little much.

and you're right, uc is really special.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:06 PM

Billiam-

Thanks for understanding- it's good to open these forums up a little and include some respectful opinions. High rises get us excited about cities.

Those B'more ones will really enhance the city, especially that first one- what a great site with that existing, modern park adjacent to it (I love the natural grasses). I think there is an existing parking lot where that third one is (between the Examiner Building and the building with Filenes and Panera)- maybe they are going without a 'crown' to compliment that existing/historic building (name?) behind it. Thanks for posting those up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or