Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 PM

23 posts, read 74,184 times

Advertisements

or any age for that matter, given the economy the way it is, what would you major in and why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Well I'm 21 and entering my senior year in pursuit of my undergraduate Accounting degree. This has proven to be a huge mistake on my behalf. I was promised by career counselors that Accountants would always be in high demand in the wake of the corporate accounting scandals, Sarbanes-Oxley, etc., but I was unable to locate an internship in my area this summer, hence why I'm still working overtime at a big-box store. Where this "accounting shortage" is is beyond me.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 07-02-2008 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 PM

23 posts, read 74,184 times
I was doing sales for Dell Computers until I got tired of customers calling in and yelling at me about how they hate Dell and not wanting to buy a computer. Although I did make pretty good money..... I wish I wouldn't have quit, because I am having a very hard time finding a decent job. I have a Communication degree.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well I'm 21 and entering my senior year in pursuit of my undergraduate Accounting degree. This has proven to be a huge mistake on my behalf. I was promised by career counselors that Accountants would always be in high demand in the wake of the corporate accounting scandals, Sarbanes-Oxley, etc., but I was unable to locate an internship in my area this summer, hence why I'm still working overtime at a big-box store. Where this "accounting shortage" is is beyond me.
Omaha is still there you know.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Omaha is still there you know.
Sheesh! You really want me to move to Omaha, don't you? Is there "something" you're not telling me (wink, wink)? LOL!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
I have in fact returned to college at a "non-traditional" (euphamism for "old geezer") age. I've been majoring in English, concentrating in creative writing. I'm now researching graduate programs in the field.

Back when, I didn't really know what I wanted to do, so I ended up falling accidentally into work that provided me with a paycheck, but little satisfaction. Even when I started back to college, I was still exploring the question of what to do with my life. I started out on the wrong track, majoring in math, finding that I could understand it and get decent grades, but the spark wasn't there. In fact, it kind of turned my stomach to think of doing any work where I'd be using math all the time (my feelings about what didn't work for me, not a knock against the field of mathematics or those who find it interesting). For years I'd been wanting to write, and had made false starts on a couple of novels. Back in school, I was too busy with my studies to have much time to give writing a serious try. Then it kinda hit me . . . like, duh . . . here's the perfect opportunity to devote full time to what I've wanted to do all along. I changed my major to English, love it, and haven't looked back.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I don't think one should pick out a major based on the economy.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
I would say medicine (nursing, billing, etc) or teaching since there will never be low demand for those.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
I guess a lot of it depends on WHY you go to college. If you go to college so you can find any old job that will make you a lot of money, then the answers will be the usual suspects: engineering, nursing, medicine, law, business.

But if you're like me and you went to college to study something you really love, and making a lot of money just isn't important, study what the heck you want. I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 AM

23,442 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I would say medicine (nursing, billing, etc) or teaching since there will never be low demand for those.
I agree, and would add Pharmacy to the list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.