U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,069 times

Advertisements

Good morning! I love the states I've been to on the east coast (which are only Massachusetts and New Hampshire) and would very much like to move there. I just wasn't sure about the weather and housing/economy. Can someone tell me the best state weather wise on the east coast (nothing below South Carolina)? I live in Michigan and have quite cold winters (below 30 for much of the time, and lasts from about October/November to March/April) and want something better! I'm very sick of it being so cold for 8 or 9 months out of the year. Any place offer warmth for more like 6 or 7 months?
Also, does anyone know anything about the housing markets on the east coast? I'd like to move relatively close to the ocean and was wondering what the cost of living around areas are? And which states have the best economies? Best landscapes? Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-03-2008 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:52 AM

5,727 posts, read 9,090,851 times
Virginia has a fairly mild climate if you are near the coast. The western region of the state will be colder. Housing costs are quite high in the areas from DC down to Richmond and over to the Virginia Beach area. The western part of the state is less expensive.

Right now it seems as though the Bangor, Maine area has a pretty good economy as does Burlington, VT. But both will be far colder than you are looking for. Not sure about the current health of the economies of cities south of Philly.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:11 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aen935 View Post
I'm very sick of it being so cold for 8 or 9 months out of the year.
Its not cold 9 months of the year in MI, unless you dont like temps below 80 degrees.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM

139 posts, read 407,274 times
Ditto on Virginia. I moved there to go to college, for, among many reasons, the ability to be on the East Coast, but still get a mild version of all 4 seasons. I've lived in Charlottesville and Richmond, and I prefer the weather in Cville, but the cost of living/housing is much more reasonable in Richmond. It's also only about 90 mins from the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or