U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:05 PM

11,886 posts, read 32,924,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, I read that a couple days ago. I read that most of the stores closing are those within supermarkets and ran by airport vendors, and in bookstores like Barnes and Noble. Some 200 or so will be closing that are "stand-alone" stores. Which, will in fact, affect many cities/towns. No Starbucks! OH NO!! lol
The 600 Starbucks stores that are closing are company-owned stores. Those in Target, Barnes & Noble, and supermarkets are not company-owned stores so aren't affected. At least that's what today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting. And even after those 600 are closed, there will still be over 10,000 Starbucks stores left untouched.

Personally, as a non coffee drinker and someone who generally dislikes trendy people, I've never really understood the attraction with Starbucks. But they do have good lemon pound cake and big huge bricks of Rice Krispie bars if you can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 PM

3,673 posts, read 8,776,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The 600 Starbucks stores that are closing are company-owned stores. Those in Target, Barnes & Noble, and supermarkets are not company-owned stores so aren't affected. At least that's what today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting. And even after those 600 are closed, there will still be over 10,000 Starbucks stores left untouched.

Personally, as a non coffee drinker and someone who generally dislikes trendy people, I've never really understood the attraction with Starbucks. But they do have good lemon pound cake and big huge bricks of Rice Krispie bars if you can afford it.
Oh is that right? Well, maybe I misunderstood the article. I can't recall which paper it was in--I think the Stamford Advocate.

Yeah, the closing of the stores will be a big cost-cutting measure for Starbucks. Starbucks has a huge presence in the city (Manhattan)--and they have something like 400 stores in the metro area.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM

11,886 posts, read 32,924,797 times
Quote:
Oh is that right? Well, maybe I misunderstood the article. I can't recall which paper it was in--I think the Stamford Advocate.

Yeah, the closing of the stores will be a big cost-cutting measure for Starbucks. Starbucks has a huge presence in the city (Manhattan)--and they have something like 400 stores in the metro area.
We have a couple of Starbucks on campus, and I have to admit I'm more than just a little annoyed at all the students who come to class with their Starbucks cups and continue to slurp up their java during class. On the other hand, I really do like all the pastries at Starbucks, especially those gigantic bricks of Rice Krispie treats. I always feel like a little kid again when I eat one of those.

But with gas prices at $4/gallon I can see why fewer people are willing to pay $5 for a cup of coffee.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 PM

3,673 posts, read 8,776,314 times
Yeah...ppl bring them everywhere. In Target, I always see the cups sitting on store shelves. THAT'S gotta be annoying...also at the grocery store, they are randomly sitting on soup shelves, cereal aisles, etc.
Well, up here, there's still a line to the door for coffee each morning. So I'm unsure if people have given up their coffee addiction to starbucks yet...

Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,161,688 times
Jersey City (population 240,000) had only one Starbucks until last year. Most of this city hasn't gentrified to the degree necessary to support many of their stores yet. I, like most JC residents, prefer a 75-cent small coffee from Papi's bodega (or any other bodega). Meanwhile, Hoboken next door has 38,000 residents and 3 Starbucks locations.

I couldn't tell you where the nearest Wal-Mart is.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 PM

10,675 posts, read 8,199,563 times
New Haven, Stamford, Hartford etc has one but Bridgeport nope.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM

22,706 posts, read 28,744,369 times
I'm in an area with approximately 5,000 families. There is no Starbucks here. In fact, there is no coffee shop, but you can get a cup of coffee at the gas station/ convenience store/ post office.

This might be the largest population without a Starbucks. Those things are everywhere.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,621,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Starbucks just announced they are closing 600 stores nationwide. No doubt many more cities will be left without one.

I suspect the people of Bridgeport prefer to patronize locally owned and operated establishments as opposed to spending their money in a large, faceless nationwide chain store.
About a decade ago in some cities the ultimate cliche became seeing a Starbucks going in across the street--from another Starbucks.!

Starbucks whole plan was to completely over saturate the market to take out some of the smaller independent or other coffeehouses.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:42 AM

164 posts, read 253,539 times
Starbucks coffee tastes like it's burnt, to me. I think 7/11 has much better tasting coffee than Starbucks. Seriously.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,452,464 times
Quote:
Never heard of them. Went to their website and it looks interesting. Only 5 locations in the US though. In Decatur and in Washington state. Probably plan on expanding nationwide, I'd think.
Oh cool. Sounds like the next Starbucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or