U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,020 posts, read 8,265,617 times
Reputation: 1785

Advertisements

I was looking at the Starbucks' website to find a location in Bridgeport, CT. There are no stores in this city! The surrounding suburbs have a lot, but the city itself does not have a Starbucks' store.
Why is this important and who cares? Well, I think Starbucks arriving in areas have typically been indicative of neighborhoods on the rise, and gentrification well under way or definitely coming.
Anyone know of larger cities than Bridgeport without a Starbucks? Bridgeport has about 140,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
29,615 posts, read 65,640,395 times
Reputation: 15044
Yikes! Even we hicks here in Scranton, PA have two of them in our downtown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
 
5,639 posts, read 8,748,046 times
Reputation: 2352
Starbucks just announced they are closing 600 stores nationwide. No doubt many more cities will be left without one.

I suspect the people of Bridgeport prefer to patronize locally owned and operated establishments as opposed to spending their money in a large, faceless nationwide chain store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 09:14 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,020 posts, read 8,265,617 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Starbucks just announced they are closing 600 stores nationwide. No doubt many more cities will be left without one.

I suspect the people of Bridgeport prefer to patronize locally owned and operated establishments as opposed to spending their money in a large, faceless nationwide chain store.
Yeah, I read that a couple days ago. I read that most of the stores closing are those within supermarkets and ran by airport vendors, and in bookstores like Barnes and Noble. Some 200 or so will be closing that are "stand-alone" stores. Which, will in fact, affect many cities/towns. No Starbucks! OH NO!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,265 posts, read 7,187,813 times
Reputation: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, I read that a couple days ago. I read that most of the stores closing are those within supermarkets and ran by airport vendors, and in bookstores like Barnes and Noble. Some 200 or so will be closing that are "stand-alone" stores. Which, will in fact, affect many cities/towns. No Starbucks! OH NO!! lol
Haha. It's really their own fault. The market is oversaturated with their product -- and when you charge a bajillion dollars for a cup of mediocre coffee in an economy where people have to put out more expenses for food and transportation, it's completely logical that people would patronize them less.

Anyway, I think having a balance between corporate behemoths like Starbucks and independent, smaller business is important, and this will hopefully rectify that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Reputation: 12534
A coffee bar called Dancing Goats opened here in Decatur about one year ago and it is awesome. The brand of coffee they serve is Batdorf-Bronson. Anyway, it's eating the neighboring Starbucks' lunch. Has anyone else seen these around?
Also, memo to Starbucks: Stop charging for internet access when no one is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 09:34 AM
 
7,022 posts, read 5,771,723 times
Reputation: 6963
I am proud to say that I live in a great community where there is no Starbucks. We have a local coffee shop that everybody goes to. I love it.

We also have no Wal-Mart. It's like heaven, my town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,020 posts, read 8,265,617 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A coffee bar called Dancing Goats opened here in Decatur about one year ago and it is awesome. The brand of coffee they serve is Batdorf-Bronson. Anyway, it's eating the neighboring Starbucks' lunch. Has anyone else seen these around?
Also, memo to Starbucks: Stop charging for internet access when no one is.
Never heard of them. Went to their website and it looks interesting. Only 5 locations in the US though. In Decatur and in Washington state. Probably plan on expanding nationwide, I'd think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 09:36 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,020 posts, read 8,265,617 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I am proud to say that I live in a great community where there is no Starbucks. We have a local coffee shop that everybody goes to. I love it.

We also have no Wal-Mart. It's like heaven, my town.
Where do you live?

Stamford, CT--my city--has no Wal-Mart, either, I'm proud to say. We have a Target and several Starbucks--but with those, I'm never complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,566,323 times
Reputation: 794
I like Starbuck's. I don't get coffee but at least the one kind of close to me has good, moist coffee cake and everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top