U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,463,420 times

Advertisements

Food & Wine has recently selected the 10 best restaurant cities in the world and two US cities (New York & Chicago) made the cut. In my opinion, San Francisco should be right there along with NYC & CHI.

Which is the most exciting restaurant city in the world right now? Hint: Itís not Paris, and itís not New York.... Itís Tokyo, hands-down, thanks to the cityís ultra-diverse, thrillingly dynamic food scene.

1. Tokyo
2. Paris
3. New York City
4. London
5. Barcelona
6. Sydney
7. Madrid
8. Chicago
9. Stockholm
10. Vancouver, Canada

10 Best Restaurant Cities | Food & Wine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:49 AM

475 posts, read 2,040,971 times
Vancouver should be commended for being listed among this 'who's who' of the world's cities (which I guess you'd expect to feature the finest dining... by virtue of numbers alone).

My only question is... where is Omaha ???

(no please... don't answer that... I'm trying to lighten things up a little!)

Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 PM

23,109 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Wow, no Italian cities? Some of the best food experiences I ever had were in Florence, Venice and Rome.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,423,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Wow, no Italian cities? Some of the best food experiences I ever had were in Florence, Venice and Rome.
Its probably because they focus on too much of one thing, in Italy's case: pasta. Same could be said for Mexico City and tacos, etc. While Italy does pasta best, and Mexico City might do burritos best, you cant walk into Tuscany and find a Thai restaurant, ya know? Its quality and quantity in this case, and places like NYC, Chicago, etc, dont have one set cuisine that eveyrthing revolves around. You can get Ehtiopian, Thai, Mexican, American, Brazilian, etc, etc, and those restaurants are well represented and the food is prepared/cooked by some of the best in the industry. See where Im coming from?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 PM

11,886 posts, read 32,924,797 times
I can't believe places like Stockholm and Madrid are ahead of places like Montreal, San Francisco, or Hong Kong.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,247,257 times
Have you been to Stockholm? It has a lot of fine dining. In my experience the likelihood of eating well in a random restaurant is much higher in Stockholm than London. Food in England is generally terrible. It really depends how much you need to pay for the fine dining. You have to pay a lot in London to get some decent food. In Barcelona the portions are so small so it ends up being rather expensive. Portions in the U.S tend to be more generous than most of Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I can't believe places like Stockholm and Madrid are ahead of places like Montreal, San Francisco, or Hong Kong.

Last edited by internat; 07-03-2008 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Have you been to Stockholm? It has a lot of fine dining. In my experience the likelihood of eating well in a random restaurant is much higher in Stockholm than London. Food in England is generally terrible. It really depends how much you need to pay for the fine dining. You have to pay a lot in London to get some decent food. In Barcelona the portions are so small so it ends up being rather expensive. Portions in the U.S tend to be more generous than most of Europe.
Yes, I've been to Stockholm. It's a beautiful, exceptionally clean city where people speak better English than many Americans. In my experience, there's a much richer variety of excellent food in places like Montreal, San Francisco, and Hong Kong. I mean geez, even mall food courts in Montreal have fantastic food.

I agree that it's more difficult to find good food in London, and invariably it's at an ethnic restaurant (of which there are plenty, thank goodness). I don't know if there's such a thing as "fine English food" haha.

Having said that, there is good food to be found anywhere. I have had excellent food in Stockholm to be sure.

But since this is the US forum, we should probably concentrate on American cities. So here's my list of places in America with the best food based on cost (availability to the masses and not just a few wealthy elite), quality, and variety. I don't drink, so wine isn't a consideration:

1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. New Orleans
5. Miami
6. Boston
7. Honolulu
8. Atlanta
9. Houston
10. Detroit

Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,395,684 times
Quote:
Yes, I've been to Stockholm. It's a beautiful, exceptionally clean city where people speak better English than many Americans. In my experience, there's a much richer variety of excellent food in places like Montreal, San Francisco, and Hong Kong. I mean geez, even mall food courts in Montreal have fantastic food.

I agree that it's more difficult to find good food in London, and invariably it's at an ethnic restaurant (of which there are plenty, thank goodness). I don't know if there's such a thing as "fine English food" haha.

Having said that, there is good food to be found anywhere. I have had excellent food in Stockholm to be sure.

But since this is the US forum, we should probably concentrate on American cities. So here's my list of places in America with the best food based on cost (availability to the masses and not just a few wealthy elite), quality, and variety. I don't drink, so wine isn't a consideration:

1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. New Orleans
5. Miami
6. Boston
7. Honolulu
8. Atlanta
9. Houston
10. Detroit
I'm no food expert...but chances are you aren't either. Should the only 2 cities that made it on Food & Wine's list also be listed as the #1 and #2 cities on the list?

Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,035,933 times
Quote:
I loved Madrid during my visit there, but the food there left a lot to be desired IMO. I found myself eating at the American style cafes quite a bit.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm no food expert...but chances are you aren't either. Should the only 2 cities that made it on Food & Wine's list also be listed as the #1 and #2 cities on the list?
I never said that my criteria were the same as Food & Wine's criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.