U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,601,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I think people are too invested in the belief that the suburbs, far from the city, are the safest place to be. It fits too well with the whole American mythology about seeking elbow room in the pristine wilderness/countryside. Also, Americans are in love with their cars, and probably find it hard to believe that cars are more dangerous than guns. I'm actually a bit surprised that no one has posted to disputed the findings yet.
Actually, the most dangerous place is the hospital. I just read recently that over 200,000 people die each year from medical mistakes. Far more than all homicides (about 18,000 per year) and traffic fatalities (about 44,000 per year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 AM

210 posts, read 1,063,339 times
The suburbs aren't more dangerous than inner city. Example, NYC: what's more dangerous Brooklyn or Weschester? The Bronx or Bergen County? East Harlem or Long Island?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,282,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
The suburbs aren't more dangerous than inner city. Example, NYC: what's more dangerous Brooklyn or Weschester? The Bronx or Bergen County? East Harlem or Long Island?
Do you have data to back that up or are you just stating your opinion?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:41 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,755,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
That was the point of the article. I will use your example as mine. As somebody who does not purchase drugs, my chances of being murdered while walking down 125th Street is higher than being murdered anywhere on Long Island. However, I would always be the person walking down the street and my chances of being murdered in Harlem are lower, for example, than being killed in a car crash on the L.I.E. That was the point of the article. I am just as dead after that car crash as I am after being shot. Neither could be controlled, but I am more likely to die while driving along the road. You did read the article, right?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:21 PM

47,974 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
The problem, unfortunately, in in perception rather than reality. People for some reason think that they have more control over driving. That their caution can avoid an crash, right? They feel that their good driving skills can compensate for everyone else's bad ones. Not only is this a fallacy, but one (arguably, of course) has much more control over their chances of being murdered by controlling when they go places, where they go and how they go about going to any certain destination. Mostly, it is common sense things that can help most. Don't walk down a city street with an iPod in your ears. The main point, though, is how hysterical we can be as a society. Irrational fear of crime is the same thing as checking Halloween treats. It is often feared but seldom a reality.
True, and that isn't the only thing to consider. Sometimes the rural settings can be places to committ crimes and hide somewhere. Why? Not alot of witnesses. The Green River killings is one example. In the city, gun shots have a bigger chance of being seen because there are more people to see it. In the sticks, you can get accidentally shot walking around in the woods because of some hunter or some sociopath could use the rural setting as a place to committ heinous crimes and not get noticed. Not saying it to scare anyone. Just saying because it's a possibility.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:30 PM

56,502 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Good find indeed. I've been trying to get people to realize this for a while. People don't realize that people die in drunk driver accidents as much as deaths by a weapon. Both due to recklessness and has the same result, but people get so caught up in hommicides in cities.

I also wonder if it has to do with who is involved in such incidents as well. It is interesting how it spells out in terms of prison sentencing too. For instance, we've had a guy kill two people in a boating accident on a lake. it was found that the person was drunk and didn't even go back to check on the people. This guy only got 1 and a half-3 years in prison. If he shot the people, he's probably looking at 25 years to life. So, I sometimes wonder about things like this.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 PM

195 posts, read 559,403 times
Man, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this one didn't get more clicks.

If it had been another "scary black guy" thread, there would've been 1000 responses.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,453,015 times
To be honest, no one is truly safe anywhere. I'd imagine that even a police station can become a dangerous place at a moment's notice.
Maybe safety can be found in houses of worship. Um, on second thought, maybe not:
Church Killings - washingtonpost.com

Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,561,033 times
I'd much rather die in a car crash than be murdered.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:20 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,930,589 times
The study is very flawed in that it didn't take into consideration a few things like the amount of time people spend in the outer suburbs compared to in the inner city area nor the ratio of people that take mass transit to work instead of driving. Of course if people drive their car to the train station and then take the train into the city and then also use the car in the burbs on the weekend then of course there is going to be a much higher incidence of dying in a car crash in the burbs than in the city.

Here are the metro areas the study used. Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Milwaukee–Waukesha, Minneapolis–St. Paul, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Charlottesville, Danville, Lynchburg, Norfolk–Virginia Beach, Richmond, Roanoke, and the Virginia part of Washington, DC. Not really a well rounded group to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or