U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:01 PM

59 posts, read 152,180 times

Advertisements

Why aren't Texas, Florida, and Louisiana part of the Confederate States of America? All of them were charter Confederate states. I doubt they would've left the nation had it remained sovereign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 04:25 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,887,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMarvin View Post
Why aren't Texas, Florida, and Louisiana part of the Confederate States of America? All of them were charter Confederate states. I doubt they would've left the nation had it remained sovereign.
If you follow the link I included there's an explanation of all the what-if's that went into this map.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:52 PM

59 posts, read 152,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
If you follow the link I included there's an explanation of all the what-if's that went into this map.
Ah. After reading the link I have to say that I doubt the Confederacy would have existed like that. It is impossible to tell what presidents would have came to be after Thomas Jefferson. Knowing that we can't say that we would have had Lincoln elected or even a North vs. South mentality. I reckon we would've been to busy warring with all of our neighbors. I admire the man's creativity but his thinking is a bit flawed, IMO.

I also doubt that Napoleon would have refused to sell Louisiana to the USA. He was practically desperate for money to fuel his war by that time.

Also by keeping Louisiana that would have only intensified the war between France and Britain (a war we wanted to stay out of) so that would have either quickened the war with France and Britain making it end faster or prolonged it making the countries poorer.

Napoleon wanted us to have Louisiana so we could later kick their (the English) butts and increase our own power. As Napoleon said This accession of territory affirms forever the power of the United States, and I have given England a maritime rival who sooner or later will humble her pride."

Last edited by MinnesotaMarvin; 07-06-2008 at 05:15 PM..

Old 07-06-2008, 05:10 PM

I think the author of this just made the map for sh*ts and giggles, and that's the only reason I posted it. Just for fun.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:39 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,487,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Both Varmint and Texas were independent Republics prior to joining the Republic of the United States of America. I never knew Oregon had designs on being its own country.
Oregon can barely support itself as a state, let alone it being its own country. What a disaster that would be. Its president would be one of the many homeless panhandlers here asking for spare change. The countrys national anthem would begin with. Welcome to Oregon, have a nice visit but please don't stay. THe chorus would be, Give us your spare change. I think Oregon better stay a state so the rest of the country can continue supporting it.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I would love to see Cascadia created. That would be such a great country.
Cascadia, I think its a stupid concept
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f6/Cascadia_extreme.jpg/306px-Cascadia_extreme.jpg (broken link)
Cascadia

Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Oregon can barely support itself as a state, let alone it being its own country. What a disaster that would be. Its president would be one of the many homeless panhandlers here asking for spare change. The countrys national anthem would begin with. Welcome to Oregon, have a nice visit but please don't stay. THe chorus would be, Give us your spare change. I think Oregon better stay a state so the rest of the country can continue supporting it.
Oregon as it is today by itself would probably be exactly like New Zealand with all of the same attitudes and problems, and that wouldn't be good. But "Oregon" (aka Oregon Country) according to this map/Cascadia would be great because BC/WA would be able to support Oregon's dead weight.

And who knows how things would have turned out if it had been its own country from the get go. Maybe the modern day area of Oregon wouldn't have been such dead weight.

I personally love all these little "what if's". Another one... In the mid 1800s a fairly respected cartographer (can't remember his name now) put Newport, Oregon on a map of the West as a major port and city along with Seattle and San Francisco as he predicted it would end up being a major city, but today you won't find a sprawling metropolis on the Oregon Coast or even a large city. At less than 11,000 people, Newport is the second biggest city on the Oregon coast (the twin cities of Coos Bay/North Bend add up to 26,000 together).
But what if Newport had ended up being Oregon's big city instead of Portland? Would Portland/East Portland/Albina just be little farm towns? Would Vancouver, WA become a very large city in Portland's place? Would Depoe Bay and Otter Rock be the Newport equivalent of Beaverton and Tualatin? Would the metro stretch east to Corvallis or north and south to Lincoln City and Waldport? It's all fascinating.

Last edited by backdrifter; 07-06-2008 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: Even though I proof read, I still find boo boos...

Old 07-07-2008, 06:09 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,750,013 times
Given it's location one would think that Cairo Illinois should've been a great city second only to Chicago in the central United States. But the site was also malaria ridden and flood prone.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 AM

30,204 posts, read 67,344,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
That's my nickname for Vermont. New Hampshire is "Gnu Hamster" while Maine is "Mane". Remember these states are largely rural in nature.

Southern New England is as follows. "Taxachushettes" everyone knows. Rhode Island is "Road Island" because of the high population density. Connecticut I cannot mention because this is a family forum.

I might add that I am a native of the Nutmeg state and some of us try to keep a sense of humor about things. We try not to take ourselves too seriously like some people at least.
Thanks for the clarification. I myself refer to Massachusetts as "Taxachusetts," so it's nice to see that there are others who thought of the same nickname. I didn't mean to sound so overly-defensive; I'm just tiring of there being so many Southerners on this site who think "the war ain't over 'til I says it's over."

Old 07-07-2008, 12:06 PM

32,371 posts, read 55,164,890 times
Ironic that according to this map, the homes of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are not in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.