U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:13 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,048,434 times

Advertisements

I lived in Chicago for awhile and didn't care for it at all. It's a nice city to visit, but far too high-stress for everyday life (heavy traffic, lots of workaholics, gloomy weather for much of the year). The first year or so can be fun, but it starts to wear on your patience after awhile. Not too many people seem genuinely happy there.

I know that a lot of people compare Chicago to Houston...it has a similar vibe, apparently, but with lower stress, happier residents, and less extreme winters. It may be worth a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:18 PM

Oh, and you're definitely not alone - Chicago has one of the highest out migration rates in the country.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 PM

500 posts, read 822,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I lived in Chicago for awhile and didn't care for it at all. It's a nice city to visit, but far too high-stress for everyday life (heavy traffic, lots of workaholics, gloomy weather for much of the year).
Yeah, a lot of people seem to take pride in that, at one time I did as well. People that leave because they couldn't take the weather I used to make fun of, but it was one of the reasons I left. It's not just the cold, it's so grey and dark, you'll see the sun once a week during the winter months.

But I do miss the tension of the city, it kept you alert, cautious and constantly moving. And even when I would get really bummed in the winter the skyline always would inspire me.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:37 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,187,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona sunset View Post
I can believe it! There are Chicago transplants everywhere around these parts. I prefer NYC (Manhatten sp?), most of LA, and all of San Fran as a place to live over Chi-town, anyday. I found it to be a fun city to play for a few days, but I would never want to move there long term. With a rapidly sprawling metro area, and many of its own transplants moving by the thousands to places like Phoenix and Houston, I feel comfortable in saying that I am not alone.
Nonetheless, of the top ten growing metropolitan areas in the country, Chicago is the only one that is not in the sun belt. So apparently it still has allure to plenty of people.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:14 PM

Chicago isn't a high growth city, percentage wise....it hasn't been for awhile.

I could understand Chicago having high raw numbers, due to international (mainly Hispanic) immigration, but the growth percentages are still really low. More US citizens are leaving the city than entering it.

Quote:
(Chicago)
Growth 2006-2007: 0.6%
Average Internal Migration: -84,000 per year
Average Annual Population Growth: +50,000 per year (note: since it's clearly not internal migration, this is mostly drawing from international immigration)
Quote:
10 Fastest-Growing U.S. Metro Areas: April 1, 2000- July 1, 2006
St. George, Utah 39.8%
Greeley, Colo. 31.0%
Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Fla. 29.6%
Bend, Ore. 29.3%
Las Vegas-Paradise, Nev. 29.2%
Provo-Orem, Utah 25.9%
Naples-Marco Island, Fla. 25.2%
Raleigh-Cary, N.C. 24.8%
Gainesville, Ga. 24.4%
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Ariz. 24.2
Quote:
10 Fastest Growing US Metros - 2006-2007:
Palm Coast, FL 7.2%
St George, UT 5.1%
Raleigh, NC 4.7%
Gainesville, GA 4.5%
Austin, TX 4.3%
Myrtle Beach, SC 4.2%
Charlotte, NC 4.2%
New Orleans, LA 4.0%
Grand Junction, CO 3.7%
Clarkesville, TN 3.7%

Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 PM

Ah yes, now I remember. Growth only counts as growth if it's U.S. citizens moving in.

I guess I should have clarified and said Chicago is the only top ten MAJOR metropolitan area in terms of growth that isn't in the sun belt. I should have presumed that not everyone would know I wasn't including Assbriar NV and Dicklethorn UT.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 PM

149 posts, read 154,771 times
Big Apple, Southern cities tops in growth - USATODAY.com

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8684/5656ma3.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 PM

147 posts, read 338,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nonetheless, of the top ten growing metropolitan areas in the country, Chicago is the only one that is not in the sun belt. So apparently it still has allure to plenty of people.
I hope that I didn't offend you! That was really not my intention in the post, but I guess I can see how it could be taken as such. I was just trying to answer the original post. I wasn't trying to infer that Chicago was loosing population because it is a bad city. I was only agreeing with you when you stated that Phoenix has absorbed many former Chicago residents, and subsequently, taxpayers into it's streets. I think that it is apparent and rather obvious that these people where not happy with their lives in Chicago, and in my experience in befriending them, they tend to be very vocal about it. I myself have few dealings with the Windy City, and therefore, really can't make an accurate account to display for you. I fully admit though that I much more prefer suburban living, over urban living anyday of the week. That is just me though! Those numbers that soho111 shared with us are very revealing to say the least.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 AM

What they reveal is that the U.S. Census Bureau estimates that Chicago proper (NOT the metropolitan area) has lost population since the 2000 census. They thought the same thing in the mid-90s too only to find out in the official count that the city had actually gained population.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I lived in Chicago for awhile and didn't care for it at all. It's a nice city to visit, but far too high-stress for everyday life (heavy traffic, lots of workaholics, gloomy weather for much of the year). The first year or so can be fun, but it starts to wear on your patience after awhile. Not too many people seem genuinely happy there.

I know that a lot of people compare Chicago to Houston...it has a similar vibe, apparently, but with lower stress, happier residents, and less extreme winters. It may be worth a try.
What a crock. Soooo, noone seems happy here, eh? Youd need 15 semi trailers to haul all that BS out. Everyone I know LOVES it here, and wont consider moving. In fact, Ive had many family members move to AZ (PHX area), all but 3 have moved back because PHX wasnt anywhere on the level that Chicago is. I personally know people who have moved here from IN, MI, WI, WY, AZ and TX who absolutely love it. And the fact that Chicagoland is the 3rd largest (and growing) metro in the area speaks volumes about exactly how many people want to live here. For every one that leaves, another takes his/her place, and its evident by all the job growth and development going around all over the area.

And Houston might have less extreme winters, but the most God-awful summers (up there with PHX). Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or