U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,464,766 times

Advertisements

I know a guy from Chicago, he's been here about 3 years, he's got the dirtiest mouth I have ever seen on an old guy, or any guy actually but he keeps me laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:18 PM

14,272 posts, read 44,972,066 times
Full disclosure I don't like a big city at all. What I particularly did not like about Chicago (during a few brief visits) - severe winter and when it's not snowing they are working on the roads, yet, the roads are full of potholes. Toll booths, one that hits you up for 15 cents (FFS!). Hot, muggy summer. High cost of living, high taxes, at least the appearance of a corrupt city government, severe gun laws (in one of the places where I really *would* want to be packing most of the time).

Beyond that - nothing special that I particularly liked.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,053,442 times
Quote:
What a crock. Soooo, noone seems happy here, eh? Youd need 15 semi trailers to haul all that BS out. Everyone I know LOVES it here, and wont consider moving. In fact, Ive had many family members move to AZ (PHX area), all but 3 have moved back because PHX wasnt anywhere on the level that Chicago is. I personally know people who have moved here from IN, MI, WI, WY, AZ and TX who absolutely love it. And the fact that Chicagoland is the 3rd largest (and growing) metro in the area speaks volumes about exactly how many people want to live here. For every one that leaves, another takes his/her place, and its evident by all the job growth and development going around all over the area.
That's your perception then. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. When I was living in Chicago (and even visiting recently), people seemed kind of down and unhappy. Job stress, the heavy traffic, and the harsh winters do take a toll on a lot of people. You and your friends love living Chicago. I really am happy for your happiness. But it's silly to assume that everyone else loves living there as much as you do. If everyone was really happy there, the net migration wouldn't be negative.

Net migration is typically a solid indication of how happy the average resident is with the city. If it's positive, that means that the city is doing something right and that residents are happy enough to stay. If net migration is negative, a lot of people must be unhappy for some reason, since they're all leaving. You can boast Chicago's size all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that net migration is negative.

And I'm not saying that Chicago is a bad city either...I actually enjoy the occasional visit. I'm just saying that there are plenty of people who don't like living there. No city is right for everyone. The whole point of this thread isn't to invalidate the OP's feelings by saying that "everyone loves Chicago". No, the point is to share why other people have had negative experiences in the city, and to help him or her find a city that may be a better fit. The OP is asking us to share our personal negative experiences. So I just find it kind of ridiculous that people are on here arguing against the comments that the OP is asking for.

Last edited by radraja; 07-07-2008 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,269,992 times
So wait -- someone from eastern Washington is complaining about Chicago winters? Huh?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM

14,272 posts, read 44,972,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So wait -- someone from eastern Washington is complaining about Chicago winters? Huh?
Well, yeah. Eastern WA winter is dreary but generally don't have the snow and the wind (at least not at the same time) and it does not get as cold here. Admittedly I'm saying the winters here are "less bad" but IMHO that's how it is.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 PM

147 posts, read 339,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
That's your perception then. But when I was living there (and even visiting recently), people seemed kind of down and unhappy no matter where I went. Job stress, the heavy traffic, and the harsh winters do take a toll on a lot of people. You and your friends love living Chicago. Congratulations. I really am happy for your happiness. But it's silly to assume that everyone else loves living there as much as you do. If everyone was really happy there, the net migration wouldn't be negative.

Net migration is typically a solid indication of how happy the average resident is with the city. If it's positive, people must be happy enough to stay. If it's negative, a lot of people must be unhappy for some reason. You can boast the city's size all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that net migration is negative.

And I'm not saying that Chicago is a bad city either...I actually enjoy the occasional visit. I'm just saying that there are plenty of people who don't like living there. No city is right for everyone. The whole point of this thread isn't to invalidate the OP's feelings by saying that "everyone loves Chicago". No, the point is to share why other people have had negative experiences in the city, and to help him or her find a city that may be a better fit.
radraja, I couldn't have said it better myself. You are 100% correct about everything! Rep points for you!...wait...I guess I have to wait awhile before I do that again. Just know that they are coming to you in time!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:52 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,053,442 times
Well, thanks.

I felt like I could have initially been more polite though, so I tweaked it a bit more.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,269,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, yeah. Eastern WA winter is dreary but generally don't have the snow and the wind (at least not at the same time) and it does not get as cold here. Admittedly I'm saying the winters here are "less bad" but IMHO that's how it is.
I'm not sure where exactly in eastern WA you live, but using Spokane as a guide, the differences in average temperature and snow accumulation between Spokane and Chicago are negligible. Average Dec/Jan/Feb high and low temps are almost identical, and average precipitation as measured in liquid form is within fractions of an inch. Average wind speed is within 2mph. The winters there and here are practically the same.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 PM

692 posts, read 2,421,801 times
WOW another Chicago sucks/Chicago is great debate.

The O.P didn't click with Chi-Town and is looking for an alternative.

Personally I can name a 1/2 dozen cities I like better and another 1/2 dozen
that are worse than Chicago. You know what they say opinions are like
A-holes everyone has one.

As I have said before I bled Chicago pride growing up.
Than I was fortunate enough to make a little money,
travel, and live in other cities. When I moved back to
Chicago (post divorce) it just wasn't the same city
I grew up in. So I get it when others say Chicago is
not for them and want something better.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,138,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
That's your perception then. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. When I was living in Chicago (and even visiting recently), people seemed kind of down and unhappy. Job stress, the heavy traffic, and the harsh winters do take a toll on a lot of people. You and your friends love living Chicago. I really am happy for your happiness. But it's silly to assume that everyone else loves living there as much as you do. If everyone was really happy there, the net migration wouldn't be negative.

Net migration is typically a solid indication of how happy the average resident is with the city. If it's positive, that means that the city is doing something right and that residents are happy enough to stay. If net migration is negative, a lot of people must be unhappy for some reason, since they're all leaving. You can boast Chicago's size all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that net migration is negative.

And I'm not saying that Chicago is a bad city either...I actually enjoy the occasional visit. I'm just saying that there are plenty of people who don't like living there. No city is right for everyone. The whole point of this thread isn't to invalidate the OP's feelings by saying that "everyone loves Chicago". No, the point is to share why other people have had negative experiences in the city, and to help him or her find a city that may be a better fit. The OP is asking us to share our personal negative experiences. So I just find it kind of ridiculous that people are on here arguing against the comments that the OP is asking for.
You're right, but then complaining about Chicago is pointless, because every city has the same things: tons of unhappy people.

And people leaving a city says nothing about what they think of the city, just as people moving into a city says nothing about what they think of the city.

Some people have to move because of high cost of living and wish they could stay. Some people have to move because of jobs. Some people move because of crime.

It's all of a mixture of reasons not only about unhappiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or