U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 02:16 PM

148 posts, read 579,917 times

Advertisements

In today's terrible real estate climate, I am still shocked to see so many new homes being built. The developer, who is sitting on hundreds of empty unsold homes built a few years ago during the boom, now has to lower the cost a few times to get buyers interested. But instead of holding off on new homes to slow the glut of houses sitting waiting for buyers, they keep building more new homes. This is crazy.

On the plus side, the slowing development, this has sent some of the illegal aliens out of town. And the pace of the new home construction has slowed.

What town is still building tons of new homes?

Last edited by total_genius; 07-06-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 02:33 PM

763 posts, read 3,226,227 times
Miami keeps building more and more skyscrapers. Thankfully, Miami has stopped building suburban crap.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:36 PM

909 posts, read 2,705,456 times
columbus indiana is building TONS of new homes, but also we have a fortune 500 company and tons of other high tech or manufacturing companies around us. we have about 3 industrial parks and we have some big names in those, like toyota, arvin meritor, and now a neighboring city has built a Honda plant, I wouldnt be suprised if some of those workers choose to live here. Cummins Inc. headquarters is located here as well.

I dont have any pictures, but we have several new residential areas, we have Sycamore Bend in the north, huge houses at a $300,000 average cost. he have Wildflower Estates on the south side, with a $200,000 average cost, and a few more that i cant think of. But Columbus is growing at a reasonable pase.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:18 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,597 times
I can only speak for Omaha, but we're building a lot of new condos downtown as a part of the revitalization, I think we're able to do so because Omaha is relatively uneffected by poor economic times. We're one of the lucky few though, so I don't know what some places' explaination is.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Status: "Moon landing 50th anniversary July 20." (set 45 minutes ago)

46,878 posts, read 37,047,196 times
If you look at most cities in Texas, you will constantly find bulldozers. And you'll also see different styles of housing being built. Condos are becoming more popular. And now, some new shopping centers (town centers, as they are becoming to be called) are implementing a mixture of shopping and residential in the designs.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,459,022 times
in Albuquerque just some more lofts and condo type things, they have already built so many of these in the past few years, anyways things are getting started on a community that will be home to over 100,000 people in the next 30 years that will include over 37,000 homes, apartments, jobs,schools,retail and such. Its a live/work type community to where you can bike or walk to get to work or what you need.

Right now its a big empty piece of land with a movie studio,our Journal Pavilion for concerts and a business or two.

Here is a link for a virtual tour-[SIZE=4]Mesa del Sol[/SIZE]

Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 AM

29,910 posts, read 8,619,235 times
where I used to live(McDonough, GA), they are builiding endlessly too much houses there, I lived there for 2 years, they never stopped building houses. Quite a bit of forest was gone also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or