Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 AM

721 posts, read 2,610,320 times

Advertisements

My wife is from Scotland, and I was just reading your post in the UK forum and I thought you were planning on staying in the UK? Anyway, we thought about moving to Scotland, but it is too expensive. I really like Stirling area and Edinburgh. Housing is outrageously priced in Scotland and the wages are depressed if you ask me.

Anyway, as far as moving to the US, I think if you are looking for ranches a move to Wyoming, Colorado or Montana may be a good fit. Bozeman is a young progressive city.

This website may be of use to you too. Hello America, Inc. | Living, Studying, Working Inside and Outside the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Like I said ! "She's back" I was just joking. I took a bit of offence at you're past post questioning our "gun culture" and was just being a brat ! If you want to live in the U.S.A. ya gotta grow a thick skin ! It's the Europeans that have gotten so soft and sensitive. Americans are still rough and ready ! Almost as rough and ready as our fine brothers Down under ! Seriously I welcome you to our country and admire you're appreciation for our country and the freedoms that we enjoy. Sorry to appear snarky in some of my posts but I endure a great deal of pain from degenerating joints and being allergic to pain pills I can get a bit snippy when annoyed ! People wonder why old folks are so grumpy, well I know why, It's because they frigging hurt. I may have moved to a bad place (because of my health and age) I now live very close to "the high line" in northern Montana But I just can't afford to live anywhere else it seems.
I really don't think you'll be happy living in the southern U.S. I think you will end up missing the cold after a few southern summers. I love The Rocky Mountain Front in Montana even though it's tough to live here. See some of my pictures on this Picasa link. (use slideshow button, mo betta !)

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Pics of the R...

Old 07-08-2008, 03:15 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Hi everyone, i just thought that i wasn't welcome just by the earlier posts but i may have overreacted. The past is the past and alot has been happening since then. I have taken up rifle hunting and bowhunting and its great My boyfriend is looking to stay here for a few years and get dual citizenship and hopefully live between the US and Scotland (If possible)

Rickers, the reason i want to live in the US is really for the weather and how cheap it is over there compared to here. You get more land and house for your money too and i enjoy the "big portions" the gun thing isn't on the list as i hunt here so its no biggy My boyfriend's family are all in MS now but i dont know if i'd actually enjoy living there compared to the UK we're more "modern" (if that is the right word?)

I've missed this forum, unfortunately with work i've been unable to come online as much and chat to other members but thankfully things are back on track now and you'll be seeing me more often

I think alot of you guys got confused with my other threads, im sorry if i seem to be asking the same questions. I just have a GREAT interest in the US.

I was looking into a complete career change to be an ambulance technician or an EMT here in the UK to transfer to America eventually. I dont think the TSA wages ($25,000) starting would be enough?

Sorry to be a pain.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
Perhaps if you just chimed in now and again, asked a question, or added a comment you could participate without wasting people's time trying to give more of the same info. Or at least state that you have gotten some info but need additional and get specific rather than saying you "have no idea about relocating to the US" after numerous threads and answers.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Perhaps if you just chimed in now and again, asked a question, or added a comment you could participate without wasting people's time trying to give more of the same info. Or at least state that you have gotten some info but need additional and get specific rather than saying you "have no idea about relocating to the US" after numerous threads and answers.
I didn't realise I was being watched constantly..I do make comments, please read my posts properly and you will see that. Instead of "jumping the gun and hijacking my posts" I wouldn't do it to you, so if you don't mind i expect the same thank you.

Being in airport security has closed alot of doors for me but exploring the options of becoming a paramedic is sure to open alot more doors and places where I can live now.

So if you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you would stop going on and on about it because it is becoming really annoying, you made your point and I intend to take it onboard.

I said if anyone had a problem to PM me and we could talk about it, not hijack my thread which you enjoy doing, (2nd time now) it is a simple instruction as I know you wouldn't like me constantly butting in and telling you what to do.

Can we stay on topic now. I have found "new" places of interest because of a career change, i couldn't explore these cities prior to my other job because it was near airports but im sure there are many hospitals in America. I think I will just stick to NC and SC to be nearer the coast.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:45 AM

27 posts, read 129,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
My boyfriend and I would love to move to the US in a few years (or just own a house there to vacation in so i can try out living there)

My parents have signed their house over to me but i wouldn't sell it. Its my home and has such significance to me. Its worth over $400,000 but im still not selling if it comes to it.

I was looking around different states, i would work for the TSA (hopefully) and i know i have a wide option because they're always looking for people but the salary is $25,000 per year which isn't alot. The max i could earn is up to $40,000. My boyfriend would be a qualified joiner/carpenter not sure what he would earn.

I was looking into living obviously about 20 miles to an airport/city. The question is which is nice?

I am looking to be 20 miles from a city which is modern, has charm and is relatively safe. Nice and friendly people, pleanty of bars and restuarants.

I would like to live in a fairly small/medium town (perhaps evern rural about 5 mins from town) have a nice small rancher or 2 storey house. With less than an acre (not fussy) i love my hunting and fishing. Being near a lake would be a bonus and climate is a major issue. I hate the cold. Actually i loathe it (being from Scotland)

I was interested in cities such as

Charlotte, NC
Columbia, SC
St Louis, MO
Louisville, KY
Austin, TX

(Put off with Florida because of hurricanes)

(I like AL and MS but there doesn't seem to be much happening there as far as pubs, clubs and general young feel for someone in their 20s)

I come from a really nice area here, its clean, safe and very expensive to live in but we get the wages to balance it out. I'd like the same in the US. I really wouldn't like to live somewhere that is run down, with no progression at all like some parts of rural MS, WV etc.

I'm just worried that $20,000 a year wont be enough to own a decent rancher in the US but surely my boyfriend would make a good wage considering it is a trade afterall. Even if he could get in with a housing company and build houses?

I would greatly appreciate any info you could give or even recommendations of other cities, towns?. I have no clue about the US when it comes to relocating.
They're always looking for women. Make sure you use USAJOBS - Job Search to find the posting and fill it out there. My fiancee got an answer with 2 weeks. Type in transportation security officer. Also, within 6 months you can apply for a lead or supervisor position. So work VERY hard for the 1st 6 months, and volunteer for every colateral duty you can get. They notice that stuff. Once you get your lead, it's a good bump in pay. Then after a year, if you're work is exceptional you can get a bonus. Plus the benefits are GREAT. The dental is top shelf with the right plan. TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security is another great site. Oh, and welcome home.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:42 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I was looking around different states, i would work for the TSA (hopefully) and i know i have a wide option because they're always looking for people but the salary is $25,000 per year which isn't alot. The max i could earn is up to $40,000. My boyfriend would be a qualified joiner/carpenter not sure what he would earn.

I was looking into living obviously about 20 miles to an airport/city. The question is which is nice?

I am looking to be 20 miles from a city which is modern, has charm and is relatively safe. Nice and friendly people, pleanty of bars and restuarants.

I would like to live in a fairly small/medium town (perhaps evern rural about 5 mins from town) have a nice small rancher or 2 storey house. With less than an acre (not fussy) i love my hunting and fishing. Being near a lake would be a bonus and climate is a major issue. I hate the cold. Actually i loathe it (being from Scotland)

I was interested in cities such as

Charlotte, NC
Columbia, SC
St Louis, MO
Louisville, KY
Austin, TX

I come from a really nice area here, its clean, safe and very expensive to live in but we get the wages to balance it out. I'd like the same in the US. I really wouldn't like to live somewhere that is run down, with no progression at all like some parts of rural MS, WV etc.

I'm just worried that $20,000 a year wont be enough to own a decent rancher in the US but surely my boyfriend would make a good wage considering it is a trade afterall. Even if he could get in with a housing company and build houses?

I would greatly appreciate any info you could give or even recommendations of other cities, towns?. I have no clue about the US when it comes to relocating.
$20k-$25k a year in St. Louis is doable. And it's pretty affordable. I love St. Louis myself. It's an old city, lots of old brick buildings and it's a big beer city as well. Baseball is also very popular here.

You could live in a more-rural area outside the city if you'd like to, but suburban houses may cost more. It just depends on the area. St. Louis City also has some nice little neighborhoods. North St. Louis is a little rough right now and can be dangerous, but gentrification is starting. There are rehabs going on and people starting to move back in. There are also plenty of other neighborhoods: downtown, Lafayette Square, Soulard, Dogtown, The Hill, Midtown...

Except, St. Louis will get cold. You might get 20 inches of snow in the winter. Lately it's been close to 100, though most of the summer won't be that hot. The weather may take some getting used to.

But St. Louis is pretty affordable, especially for being so large. And there are plenty of things to do, as well as 3 major sports (baseball, hockey, football, and hopefully soccer in a couple years).

There are some small lakes in the area. If you want a weekend trip, Lake of the Ozarks is a couple hour's drive. It's a big lake with nice resorts. Most have fishing docks as well as swimming and water sports. Plenty of golf as well.

I love St. Louis. It's a fine city. I think as long as you can handle the winter you'll be okay.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
Getting offended because of a different opinion on "gun culture" is sensitive, irrational, and also immature regardless of your age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I took a bit of offence at you're past post questioning our "gun culture" and was just being a brat ! If you want to live in the U.S.A. ya gotta grow a thick skin !

Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM

7 posts, read 18,576 times
Scotlass, I am 25, I have lived in the UK (London), South Carolina, and Austin, TX...so I feel pretty qualified to give you a good answer.

First off...in my opinion, Columbia, SC is one of my least favorite cities in America. It is dirty, the people aren't very progressive, crime, etc. (sorry if I have offended anybody from Columbia). Charleston, SC on the other hand is great- cheap, fun, safe (if you are not in North Charleston), beaches, etc., but if you are trying to avoid hurricanes it might not be a good choice because it is right on the coast.

I currently live in Austin, TX and I think it is amazing. Great downtown, bars, live music, festivals year round, outdoorsy, progressive people, and it is the safest city of its size I have ever been too. The cost of living is not really THAT high, especially moving from the UK and I am willing to bet you can find a nice cheap plot of land 20 miles outside of the city. The landscape around the city (Hill Country), Lake Austin, and Lake Travis are all beautiful, as well. It is one of the fastest growing cities in America, so keep that in mind if you hate traffic.

I think it would be a perfect city for a UK expat, besides one tiny little problem...it is REALLY HOT! Like, in the 100's all summer. There is a nice breeze though most of the time and relatively dry heat. So, it is not unbearable and eventually you get used to it. If you want to get away from the cold, it is a good place. It has really mild winters in which it might only drop below freezing a few times.

I have not been to the other cities so that is all I can say. On the subject of gun crime...I must say I feel 100x safer living in America than in the UK. You can get stabbed just by looking at somebody the wrong way in most of the larger cities in the UK. In America, it is simple...just avoid the bad spots that every city has and you will be perfectly fine.

Safety is just about common sense no matter where in the world you are.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Yeah, most cities will have dangerous areas. You just need to go where you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.