U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:19 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,288,476 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I would love to move to the US in a few years (or just own a house there to vacation in so i can try out living there)

My parents have signed their house over to me but i wouldn't sell it. Its my home and has such significance to me. Its worth over $400,000 but im still not selling if it comes to it.

I was looking around different states, i would work for the TSA (hopefully) and i know i have a wide option because they're always looking for people but the salary is $25,000 per year which isn't alot. The max i could earn is up to $40,000. My boyfriend would be a qualified joiner/carpenter not sure what he would earn.

I was looking into living obviously about 20 miles to an airport/city. The question is which is nice?

I am looking to be 20 miles from a city which is modern, has charm and is relatively safe. Nice and friendly people, pleanty of bars and restuarants.

I would like to live in a fairly small/medium town (perhaps evern rural about 5 mins from town) have a nice small rancher or 2 storey house. With less than an acre (not fussy) i love my hunting and fishing. Being near a lake would be a bonus and climate is a major issue. I hate the cold. Actually i loathe it (being from Scotland)

I was interested in cities such as

Charlotte, NC
Columbia, SC
St Louis, MO
Louisville, KY
Austin, TX

(Put off with Florida because of hurricanes)

(I like AL and MS but there doesn't seem to be much happening there as far as pubs, clubs and general young feel for someone in their 20s)

I come from a really nice area here, its clean, safe and very expensive to live in but we get the wages to balance it out. I'd like the same in the US. I really wouldn't like to live somewhere that is run down, with no progression at all like some parts of rural MS, WV etc.

I'm just worried that $20,000 a year wont be enough to own a decent rancher in the US but surely my boyfriend would make a good wage considering it is a trade afterall. Even if he could get in with a housing company and build houses?

I would greatly appreciate any info you could give or even recommendations of other cities, towns?. I have no clue about the US when it comes to relocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 05:35 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,819 times
Louisville sounds like a fit, its safe, I'm pretty sure its cheap, and has the mild climate you want. The rest of the cities either aren't safe, or are too expensive.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 24 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,135,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Louisville sounds like a fit, its safe, I'm pretty sure its cheap, and has the mild climate you want. The rest of the cities either aren't safe, or are too expensive.
Louisville does get pretty cold in the winter, although it typically will warm back up into the 50s (F). The average January high is 40 (F), and we get about 14 inches of snow per winter (typically spread out over ~5 small snows from Dec to Feb)

If L'ville is too cold, Columbia SC is one of my favorite small cities, despite all the Clemson fans . It is absolutely beautiful around there.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,619,939 times
Scottslass How many times are you going to ask the same question on different threads in this forum?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,047,857 times
Charlotte could be good - since it's growing so fast, your guy will have plenty of job opps.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,901,272 times
Thumbs down She's back !

She's back

Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 AM

Because things change. Careers change. I can't help that.

No need to be like that. I didn't come here to be bashed you know, i expected helpful responses not sarcastic posts.

Please please if you do not like my posting then you don't have to comment. PM me if there is such a problem. I just don't think its fair to judge people on a public forum because for one its nasty and two its very immature.

Thank you everyone else who has been very helpful.

I can't say i've been to Kentucky, but my boyfriend has lived there and enjoyed it. His favourite states to live in have been SC, NC and KY. But i've heard from various people that the carolina's are very expensive to live in. Surely not as expensive as Scotland?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Scotslass; 07-07-2008 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM

605 posts, read 2,219,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Because things change. Careers change. I can't help that.
So you're not asking the exact same question then?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 AM

Why can't I just get some advice without hassle? (Have i done something wrong?) LOL

Im not asking for alot you know, if there are any problems PM me.

I love the US and I love finding out info and the best people to ask are American's or expats. So here i am, different cities and different jobs to look for. So not the "exact same" question

Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 AM

30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
Scotslass, welcome back to the forum! I'm sorry to see that you're getting a cold shoulder from some others. The same thing happened on my own area's sub-forum when a member named "rumncoke" from Georgia was a little too "suspiciously" gung-ho about moving to Scranton, Pennsylvania. They frightened her away, and she settled in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts. Please don't let these negative attitudes discourage your relocation. Out of the cities you listed I'm fondest of St. Louis, followed by Louisville, followed by Columbia. I think both Austin and Charlotte are far too over hyped on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.