Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better climate?
Dallas 15 42.86%
Phoenix 20 57.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,057 times

Advertisements

Which of these two cities, in your opinion, has the best climate? Dallas or Phoenix?

I'm looking to move somewhere that is basically warm year round. Both can get a little cold but nothing compared to where I live now, in the Louisville, KY area. Like most of the country, we have been in an extreme heat wave for the past week or so and I played 18 holes of golf the other day in 102 and it wasn't that big of a deal to me. As long as I have water or Gatorade or something like that and plenty of it I'm fine with the heat and I prefer it over cold anyday. I'm tired of 4 straight months of cold weather with little or no breaks.

Dallas doesn't get quite as hot as Phoenix but has a little more of a "winter" than Phoenix does. It can get down into the 30s in Dallas whereas it rarely drops below freezing in PHX. I don't think I'd mind if it was cold sometimes but definitly not for long periods of time like here. I think Dallas and Phoenix would both suit me fine as far as cold weather goes. Dallas has more storms and severe weather. We have our stormy tornado season here too so I'm pretty much used to it and it wouldn't be anything that I'd have to adjust to. Phoenix is dry while Dallas is more humid. I used to think it was humid here in Louisville until I started comparing humidity levels to Dallas and saw that it's typically in the 30%-40% range here while Dallas is usually 40-60%. I'm not sure how much of a change that would be but I think I prefer dry heat.

Which do you feel has the better climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 06:17 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times
I'd say both climates suck. Winter and snow are not an evil-- especially in the Rocky Mountains and high elevation southwest where it can be cold AND sunny at the same time, with light, powdery snow. It's called skiing, baby! Both Phoenix and Dallas get a thumbs down. If you see my current location on the upper right tab, though, you can see which of the lesser of the two evils I went with. For my last relocation, the choice was Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Arizona. I went with Arizona.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:22 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times
Quote:
Winter and snow are not an evil
Says who.

I'd say Phoenix definetly has the better climate. Dallas may not be as hot as our summers but they're much more humid. And winters in Dallas aren't nearly as nice as our winters.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,685 times
Between the two, I would pick Dallas. Of course, Dallas is more humid than Phoenix but it also has more variety... thunderstorms, a very occasional snow storm, etc... Phoenix doesn't see much rain and it's sunny most of the time. I'm someone that prefers a little variety in the weather.

Also, I'll take the humidity in Dallas over the dry, parching air in Phoenix any day. The harsh desert climate drys out my skin, eyes and throat too much. It's really just depends on your personal preference... many people much prefer the dry desert air over the sticky, muggy air.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:28 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Says me
Anyways, I never got the dry heat argument. A frying pan doesn't have humidity either. Last I checked, it still burns. If you are moving because of weather, stay in Louisville. You don't know how good you have it there.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Says me
Anyways, I never got the dry heat argument. A frying pan doesn't have humidity either. Last I checked, it still burns. If you are moving because of weather, stay in Louisville. You don't know how good you have it there.
The cloudy days out-number the clear/partly clear days and it's too cold for too long in the winter time. I'd guess you're from Minneapolis based on your user name and I can see where you would think this would be nice. I absolutely hate the cold and I don't mind the heat at all. The weather here is far from good and while Dallas and Phoenix are also both not exactly perfect, they are a lot better than here in my opinion.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:00 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,644 times
Better climate, Dallas or Phoenix? There's a joke in here somewhere, right?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Dallas: extreme humidity, not as much sun, weather variety.

Phoenix: brutal heat and sun, brutal heat and sun, brutal heat and sun, brutal heat and sun, brutal heat and sun, brutal heat and sun... repeat about 120-150 times, thatll give you an idea about PHX's summers.

The question is, do you like variety in Dallas, or neverending monotony in Phoenix? Id go with Dallas, a little humidity never hurt anyone and its good for the skin/sinuses/etc. Hot, arid air sucks. Hold a hairdryer to your face, thats what Phoenix's summers feel like.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,503 times
If I had to choose between the two (thankfully I don't), I would choose Dallas. I think the monotony of Phoenix's weather would drive me crazy, based on my experience of living in a high desert climate in the past. The day after day of sun got so boring. We missed seeing thunderstorms! I know getting tired of the sun sounds hard to believe, but it happens! You get tired of slapping lotion on your skin all the time. My husband had to stop wearing contacts when we lived out west because of the dry climate. My parents live in Phoenix and I really don't enjoy the oven-like heat in my face when I visit.

I used to live in Dallas, and I remember the summers were pretty uncomfortable. However you get a better variety of seasonal change. Autumn was great there. Keep in mind it isn't uncommon to get a nasty ice storm in the winter. I remember it being pretty windy in the spring, too...which got annoying. You get some excellent storms in the area though...fun to watch!

Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
I live in Louisville too but I don't think the winters are too awful bad. As a matter if fact the year before last my hubby and I went for walks much of the winter it was so warm! But, to each his own. This winter was shorter than usual except that two week cold snap that killed some plants that got used to the 80s too quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.