U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is the greatest transportation need in the US
Replacing outdated bridges 8 7.14%
Public transit/ high speed rail 102 91.07%
Widening existing roads 2 1.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 13,106,509 times
Reputation: 3536

Advertisements

Public transit.
I'm sick of driving my car and sick of feeling guilty for adding CO2 to the air. I could care less about gas prices, I care about the environment.
My city has a pretty okay public transportation system but it's not convenient for most people.
Bike lanes, light rail, and more buses would be great. More buses would be a faster solution.
We should have had a better mass transit system years ago.
::sigh::

I'm going to make sure that the next city I live in won't require a car. Once I'm done with nursing school and work here in dull Arkansas for two years, I cannot WAIT to leave! I hope Californians decide to approve that high speed train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 AM
 
5,727 posts, read 9,090,851 times
Reputation: 2460
None of the above. Developing vehicles that run on alternative fuel sources like electricity and solar power should be job one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 06:37 AM
 
3,628 posts, read 9,213,521 times
Reputation: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

The Onion November 29, 2000
Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others

WASHINGTON, DCA study released Monday by the American Public Transportation Association reveals that 98 percent of Americans support the use of mass transit by others.
that article is on my fridge. they actually reprinted it a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if I took to it because it is so hilarious ... or sadly true.


j33, it won't let me rep you... but you know I agree with your sentiments.


Crew Chief - at least here in Chicago, we have crumbling bridges that carry our mass transit as well - i walk under one almost every day. then again, riding on the expressways I see the problem there as well. Sadly, our government can't agree on ANYTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,735 posts, read 9,848,997 times
Reputation: 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
None of the above. Developing vehicles that run on alternative fuel sources like electricity and solar power should be job one.
JG: It's a matter of physics.
A 100 passenger streetcar moves much more passengers per unit of energy and per vehicle load than 100 individual vehicles.

The Age of Fossil Fuels has finally run its course, and we're stuck with that reality.

Our only viable option is to migrate our transportation system to the highest efficiency modes.

First, is water. But that's mostly in place.

Second, on land, is the railroad.

Steel wheel on steel rail has the lowest coefficient of rolling resistance. That means it takes LESS POWER to move it.

And let us not forget that paved roads rely on PETROLEUM for asphalt, which is going to become ever more expensive.

In other words, your dream of EV automobile freedom will not be possible to achieve... At least not in the numbers you envision.

If you need a good introduction to the awesome streetcar -
Check out YouTube for : Things that move - streetcars, pt.1,2,3

YouTube - 1-Things that Move - Streetcars Part 1 of 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 AM
 
1,071 posts, read 4,019,235 times
Reputation: 265
the midwest needs to be linked up badly. also, specific midwestern cities need rail improvements. spend money somewhere besides chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 07:36 AM
 
5,727 posts, read 9,090,851 times
Reputation: 2460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
JG: It's a matter of physics.
A 100 passenger streetcar moves much more passengers per unit of energy and per vehicle load than 100 individual vehicles.

The Age of Fossil Fuels has finally run its course, and we're stuck with that reality.

Our only viable option is to migrate our transportation system to the highest efficiency modes.

First, is water. But that's mostly in place.

Second, on land, is the railroad.

Steel wheel on steel rail has the lowest coefficient of rolling resistance. That means it takes LESS POWER to move it.

And let us not forget that paved roads rely on PETROLEUM for asphalt, which is going to become ever more expensive.

In other words, your dream of EV automobile freedom will not be possible to achieve... At least not in the numbers you envision.

If you need a good introduction to the awesome streetcar -
Check out YouTube for : Things that move - streetcars, pt.1,2,3

YouTube - 1-Things that Move - Streetcars Part 1 of 3
Yes, reviving the railroads is an excellent idea and one that may eventually come to pass once it becomes too expensive to move many goods by truck.

Electric cars are definitely on the way up. But it will take a few years to fully develop the concept where it can be a viable alternative to gasoline and diesel powered cars.

They now have electric powered cars that can run highway speeds and obtain over 100 miles between charges. It's just a matter of time before new battery technology gives us 200 or more miles between charges.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 07-17-2008 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,735 posts, read 9,848,997 times
Reputation: 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yes, reviving the railroads is an excellent idea and one that may eventually come to pass once it becomes too expensive to move many goods by truck.

Electric cars are definitely on the way up. But it will take a few years to fully develop the concept where it can be a viable alternative to gasoline and diesel powered cars.

They now have electric powered cars that can run highway speeds and obtain over 100 miles between charges. It's just a matter of time before new batter technology gives us 200 or more miles between charges.
JG: Battery technology is probably not going to have a dramatic breakthrough. The chemical reaction is the obstacle. On the other hand, super and hyper capacitors may offer a solution.
Big News: EEStor Says Something : TreeHugger

Right now, the electrified rail is probably the most effective and efficient solution to land based transit. No batteries. No fuel to haul. No fumes. Steel wheel on steel rail. The list is quite extensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,735 posts, read 9,848,997 times
Reputation: 9853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

The Onion November 29, 2000
Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others

WASHINGTON, DCA study released Monday by the American Public Transportation Association reveals that 98 percent of Americans support the use of mass transit by others.
JG: Humor hides some important facts.
Most people lump all non-automobile transportation into "public transportation".

However, a common carrier of many passengers can be a taxi, bus, streetcar, train, and so on. That common carrier can be private or public sector.

What might clarify the issue is that PUBLIC mass transit is not operated in a manner that appeals to the American consumer.

You do not hear that people HATE taxis (private) or that they HATE jet air travel (private).

They hate public transit, operated by government (political) authorities. Such bodies are inept at serving the public's needs in a timely fashion. They are bureaucracies, stodgy, and often populated with political appointees and cronies of the ruling power.

Therefore, what people truly hate about mass transit is that it is mismanaged by PUBLIC SECTOR drones, who know their jobs are not at risk if they annoy their customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 02:45 PM
 
2,348 posts, read 3,925,105 times
Reputation: 2199
Once again, people feel that by magically building something will just inspire everyone to use it. It is easy to see the countless mass transit projects that have been built everywhere that are hardley ever used.

The number one thing that needs to be done is to have better city planners. It is and has been business and city planners that have driven this drive everywhere society. It is the planners that have allowed businesses to set up everywhere they want, constantly on the outskirts of towns and cities, creating more and more urban sprawl, all of it accessable only by driving. It is the government urban planners that allow this to happen without any thought into the future.

It is not up to the government to now devise some complicated, half assed scheme to try to accomodate everyone to go everywhere, an impossibility in many places given the spread out design many towns now have due to low fuel prices driving the development of our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 04:56 PM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,454,095 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Once again, people feel that by magically building something will just inspire everyone to use it. It is easy to see the countless mass transit projects that have been built everywhere that are hardley ever used.
Which are these now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top