U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the greatest transportation need in the US
Replacing outdated bridges 8 7.14%
Public transit/ high speed rail 102 91.07%
Widening existing roads 2 1.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2008, 12:30 PM

9,959 posts, read 21,230,822 times

Advertisements

What do you feel is the greatest transportation need right now in the US of A?

Replacing all those outdated and really ugly steel bridges?
Public transit/ high speed rail?
Road widening to relieve congestion?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 PM

32,451 posts, read 55,415,370 times
Right now? Cheaper and Cleaner Gas.

Unless we all move out of tract homes into densely populated condos/apts along subway lines and are able to walk at least a third of the time to get groceries and shopping etc, using public transit will never reach its full potential as its not very condusive to walking along wide suburban boulevards through strip malls to get to a bus stop to wait in the hot sun sometimes under no shade for a bus that only comes once an hour. Call me crazy?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:41 PM

15,469 posts, read 25,542,237 times
Public transit and high speed rail, especially given today's realities. Cities can only grow so much before they start to choke to death from traffic congestion when there are few to no alternatives like rail transit. Also having the right land uses to support transit is critical. People can continue to live in their big homes out in the suburbs if they want but have a fast, heavy rail system to take them to their jobs. Cars parked at a transit station are cars not on the freeways. People don't have to use transit for every single need like grocery shopping, errands, etc... but using it to get to work would greatly improve congestion or at least give an alternative. It's about options; being able to drive when needed as well as being able to take public transit when needed.

High speed rail is needed in many regions, especially in CA. With gas prices and air fares on the constant rise there needs to be more alternatives to those two options for longer distance travel.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 PM

343 posts, read 848,427 times
Public Transportation and rail transit is a start, and certainly a good thing, but it is not a solution to pollution and resource problems extant in the US. The suburbanization of America, made possible by the advent of the automobile and cheap fuel, has accelerated the need for clean, cheap, renewable, and accessible fuels. Hybrids do not solve this problem, since only the rich have access. Ethanol does not solve this problem, since it too is expensive and pollutive. Eventually, we will need to completely reorient American cities to make them more conducive to cleaner and more efficient transportation techniques. Though this localization scheme leaves much to be desired, it may be required in our slide down from peak oil availability. We must encourage walking, biking, and other clean forms of transportation when possible and devise solutions when not possible. It's hard to be optimistic, but it's also difficult to not be excited about the possibilities for change.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:19 PM

15,849 posts, read 30,486,805 times
I would say more comprehensive public transportation options in smaller towns an rural environments. Most large cities I have been in have excellent public transportation systems in place. But there are virtually NO OPTIONS available in rural or smaller communities.

I would love to see the American Railroad system return to the level that it operated at during the late 1940s when trains would stop at every little podunk town.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-07-2008, 01:29 PM

415 posts, read 393,406 times
Public transit easily. The United States as a whole is so behind on nationwide public transit. We need to improve Amtrak, and get rail moving in the urban areas. States like Texas and California are actively trying to get statewide rail in.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:30 PM

6,996 posts, read 12,555,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would say more comprehensive public transportation options in smaller towns an rural environments. Most large cities I have been in have excellent public transportation systems in place. But there are virtually NO OPTIONS available in rural or smaller communities.

I would love to see the American Railroad system return to the level that it operated at during the late 1940s when trains would stop at every little podunk town.

20yrsinBranson
Take a trip to Tampa St Pete, that is a prime example of big metro area, no real public transit. The bus system is extremely limited with few routes. It is obvious when one visits there, it is not a public transit region. Unfortunately there are many big metros in this country especially in the sunbelt cities that are completely auto dependent. If this country, states whatever can't put public transit in big cities, its doubtful smaller towns/regions will have it. I agree with you though its much needed in any populated area, big or small. I would also love to see the railroad system return to this country. I can't think of a better time than now to get one in place.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,774,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
I think rural areas have the greatest potential in terms of public transit. Transit in most major cities is a joke to most industrialized, even some semi-industrialized, nations. However, they can work when you press their services. Even mid-sized towns,though, lack any coherent system. Why can't a streetcar be built in a city as small as Fargo? The most important thing is to link the cities together and ensure that the system is run at a low-cost so that it is easily accessible. For instance, there is a company called MegaBus. I can get to Chicago from Minneapolis for less than $30. Its great, but it is what Amtrak should be. The government spends millions to maintain Amtrak, but does not spend the billions needed to make it remotely viable outside the Northeast. Almost the whole system runs on rented freight tracks, why?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,068,188 times
I think the most realistic option at the moment would be for more people to transition to hybrid-powered cars. They really aren't all that expensive anymore.

Public transportation takes years to build sucessfully, so cities without adequate PT still need cars for now.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 PM

763 posts, read 3,231,557 times
WE NEED BETTER PUBLIC TRANSIT! I'm sick of driving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.