Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM

311 posts, read 1,055,533 times

Advertisements

One thing that I've noticed in the US a lot since I've been here compared to home is how much employees at stores/malls/kiosks nag. This isn't a rant against the US or anything since it definitely happens too much in Canada *cough*ebgames and canadian tire*cough* as well and maybe it's because I'm from a rural province but I've been asked to apply for credit cards from at least 25 stores, asked to sign up for rewards cards from even more, asked if I want to try this, if I need something, if I want to "save 5% on my next purchase by ....", asked if I want to participate in x survey, asked if I want to try some lotion that'll make me look 20 years younger (I'm not even 20), asked if I want to buy 2 more things and save extra, asked if I'm interested in this "free" offer, in downtown areas of city asked if I want to buy this/that and the list goes on.

I know in stores saying hi and asking if you need help or whatever is polite but after a while, the constant nagging gets annoying. No, I don't want to look 20 years younger. No, I don't care if I can save 15% on my next purchase if I sign up for a credit card that I can't get anyway since I'm not a resident of the US and no I don't want to try your soothing handsoap. I really don't.

Apparently in Old Navy if the employee doesn't ask you if you want to get an Old Navy credit card, you can ask the manager for a $5 gift card. I don't mind getting a gift card but that means every single time I go to that store I'm going to be nagged into getting one... thankfully I shop at Old Navy no more than once a year.

I just want to shop/walk/bike/ride in peace. :/

All experiences from the eastern us... VA/DC/MD/DE/NJ/PA/WV/NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:56 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,549,919 times
I can agree on some things said here. I worked for a pizza chain in High School and we were pushed to sell, sell, sell! We would get $75 if we did such a big order etc. Remember many of these people are just doing there jobs because they need to put bread on the table. If the salesman at my current employer weren't pushy I wouldn't have any cars to detail. It's all a big circle.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 PM

I realize that. It just annoys me that the businesses push that on their employees and then me...

Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,549,919 times
I guess if business's didn't push these things then would they be where they are today. I see what your saying but this is corporate America.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,976,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire372~ View Post
I realize that. It just annoys me that the businesses push that on their employees and then me...

I know what you are talking about, I usually try to avoid the sales people in the mall.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 PM

259 posts, read 787,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire372~ View Post
One thing that I've noticed in the US a lot since I've been here compared to home is how much employees at stores/malls/kiosks nag. This isn't a rant against the US or anything since it definitely happens too much in Canada *cough*ebgames and canadian tire*cough* as well and maybe it's because I'm from a rural province but I've been asked to apply for credit cards from at least 25 stores, asked to sign up for rewards cards from even more, asked if I want to try this, if I need something, if I want to "save 5% on my next purchase by ....", asked if I want to participate in x survey, asked if I want to try some lotion that'll make me look 20 years younger (I'm not even 20), asked if I want to buy 2 more things and save extra, asked if I'm interested in this "free" offer, in downtown areas of city asked if I want to buy this/that and the list goes on.

I know in stores saying hi and asking if you need help or whatever is polite but after a while, the constant nagging gets annoying. No, I don't want to look 20 years younger. No, I don't care if I can save 15% on my next purchase if I sign up for a credit card that I can't get anyway since I'm not a resident of the US and no I don't want to try your soothing handsoap. I really don't.

Apparently in Old Navy if the employee doesn't ask you if you want to get an Old Navy credit card, you can ask the manager for a $5 gift card. I don't mind getting a gift card but that means every single time I go to that store I'm going to be nagged into getting one... thankfully I shop at Old Navy no more than once a year.

I just want to shop/walk/bike/ride in peace. :/

All experiences from the eastern us... VA/DC/MD/DE/NJ/PA/WV/NY

You are so right. Read my post The truth of Macys "outstanding" company that I wrote on Jul 2nd

Old 07-08-2008, 01:15 AM

3,940 posts, read 14,666,641 times
My mom calls them "Lotion Nazis".

Old 07-08-2008, 01:41 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,156,494 times
It's definitely a nuisance but it is nothing new or US-centric. Aggressive touts and salespeople can be found at markets and shopping malls just about anywhere, but particularly in tourist destinations. Best way to avoid it is to stay away from the places where they breed whenever possible, and never make eye contact!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:09 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,326,978 times
Pushy salespeople are certainly not limited to the U.S. Trying going to Turkey or Morocco or Bali where you haggle in the streets with people. Many shopowners, the world over, are reluctant to let a customer leave without buying something.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
It's definitely a nuisance but it is nothing new or US-centric. Aggressive touts and salespeople can be found at markets and shopping malls just about anywhere, but particularly in tourist destinations. Best way to avoid it is to stay away from the places where they breed whenever possible, and never make eye contact!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Pushy salespeople are certainly not limited to the U.S. Trying going to Turkey or Morocco or Bali where you haggle in the streets with people. Many shopowners, the world over, are reluctant to let a customer leave without buying something.
I didn't say it was US-centric. The only countries I've been to are Canada and the US and I said it was definitely an annoyance in the US moreso than Canada. As for international countries, I haven't been to any so I wouldn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.