Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
That flag doesn't mean anything to me but racism and ignorance. But I don't have a problem with people flying it. You are free to do and say whatever you want but be careful of what you do and say. The heritage argument is some BS so they won't be labeled a racist. However, I am perplexed that I never see the flag in major urban areas? Can someone explain that to me? Do these people live in major cities like NY, Chicago, LA, DC? Why don't they hold their rallies in Time Square or the Loop? You normally see them in some backwater, poverty stricken place. Just curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
The cities you mentioned aren't southern. Don't you see the flag in any large cities of the American south?
Depends on what you mean by southern, Washington DC is south of the Mason-Dixon Line Mason-Dixon line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Yes these types of people do live in urban/metro areas but their presence is less welcomed. I remember in December of 2000 the KKK had a rally in Skokie, IL a primary Jewish suburb just north of Chicago....talk about fireworks in the winter. I couldn't however see the KKK holding a rally on the south side of Chicago, Flatbush NY, or College Park GA just to name a few places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
That flag doesn't mean anything to me but racism and ignorance. But I don't have a problem with people flying it. You are free to do and say whatever you want but be careful of what you do and say. The heritage argument is some BS so they won't be labeled a racist. However, I am perplexed that I never see the flag in major urban areas? Can someone explain that to me? Do these people live in major cities like NY, Chicago, LA, DC? Why don't they hold their rallies in Time Square or the Loop? You normally see them in some backwater, poverty stricken place. Just curious!
i've seen the flag a couple of times. saw it on a car with jersey plates while entering the holland tunnel from nyc. i also saw a car driving around oak tree lane, edison nj (which has big indian population).....i felt it it was strangely out of place unless the person was originally from the south or wanted to make a point.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 AM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I'm black and from the South and I HATE the flag. I dislike everything it stands for. I dislike everything that it was used for. I don't care to hear any heritage stories come from people that want to talk about it. Do not preach to me about it. Burn every single one of those flags. That is all.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:56 AM

415 posts, read 506,071 times
I hate it. I hate it when people say it's the "Flag of the South". No it's not.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:03 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm black and from the South and I HATE the flag. I dislike everything it stands for. I dislike everything that it was used for. I don't care to hear any heritage stories come from people that want to talk about it. Do not preach to me about it. Burn every single one of those flags. That is all.
What you said.

Yeah, I hear the 'heritage vs. hate' arguement all the time, and it still rings hollow to me. To me, its a subtle way of saying, "We're putting the blacks in their place".

And before I get flamed, I don't buy the whole "why us black people can say the N-word and others can't" arguement either.

I'm an equal-opportunity hater, what can I say?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times
Quote:
Wait a minute...are you're saying that would not have a problem, if your next door neighbor had a flag pole on his front lawn flying a Confederate Flag?

Old 07-08-2008, 03:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
I have about 25 flags I own and used to display for different occasions for my own reasons. One of them is a Soviet flag. I could display that one every day of the week and nobody would say a peep. I put the Confederate flag in my window and someone called my landlord and threatened to burn down his building. Thankfully he had the balls to tell them to f#*k off. What an enlightened society we live in.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
In Its inception it was not meant to be racist symbol.It was the Flag of the Confederates States of America...
Not that it's particularly relevant to this conversation, but this is a common misconception. What is commonly thought of as the "Confederate flag" today was actually the battle flag -- infantry/cavalry in square form, naval jack in rectangular form. The battle flag was eventually inocorporated into the CSA flag, but this is what the first flag of the Confederate States of America looked like:

Here is what the second flag of the Confederate States of America looked like (minus the black edge which is there only to illustrate the contours of the flag):

And the final version:

Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 PM

14 posts, read 24,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I have about 25 flags I own and used to display for different occasions for my own reasons. One of them is a Soviet flag. I could display that one every day of the week and nobody would say a peep. I put the Confederate flag in my window and someone called my landlord and threatened to burn down his building. Thankfully he had the balls to tell them to f#*k off. What an enlightened society we live in.
I may be "unenlightened" but I don't recall many [ANY] instances where mobs [lynch-mobs] of people lynched, beat, murdered and committed TERRORISM on America's soil carrying Soviet flags.
However, I do recall numerous instances where people carrying confederate flags have committed these atrocities.
Russia is a country with a history longer than America's. It is not representative of a bunch of traitors who lost a war.
People have migrated to America from Russia. Americans of Russian heritage flying a flag is no different than Germans, Italians, etc. flying their homeland's flags.
Apples and oranges when comparing flying the Russian flag to flying the confederate flag.

This confederate flag or that confederate flag. Most things confederate = RACIST.
There are many ways to show heritage. To pick a symbol that is equated with bigotry and hatred shows [displays] more about the person displaying the flag than they are often willing to admit (or they know) about themselves.
I'd never intentionally display a swastika or even a symbol I knew to be offensive if I did not intend to offend.
And if I intended to offend then I'd come straight out and admit that!

Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeye View Post
I may be "unenlightened" but I don't recall many [ANY] instances where mobs [lynch-mobs] of people lynched, beat, murdered and committed TERRORISM on America's soil carrying Soviet flags.
However, I do recall numerous instances where people carrying confederate flags have committed these atrocities.
Russia is a country with a history longer than America's. It is not representative of a bunch of traitors who lost a war.
People have migrated to America from Russia.
Apples and oranges when comparing flying the Russian flag to flying the confederate flag.
Let's put your theory to the test and see what happens when we fly a Nazi flag. Peoples' selective outrage is amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.