Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times

Advertisements

Good question: If my next door neighbor had the flag, it would probably pi$$ me off that I live next to someone like that and I probably would look for ways to f*&k with him but as a whole when I see the flag, it automatically tells me where we stand with each other from the get go. So i know what frame of mind needs to be in when we meet. I am blessed that I live in DC, so I don't think any of these cowards who fly the flag have the balls to do it in my city. That goes back to my original question. Why don't we see people flying the flag in major urban areas? They are usually out in Hickville, USA. The whole "Our History" argument is some do do! I have seen the flag in rural parts of VA. But those people are still salty that the south lost the war. They have their little reenactments in the woods and battle plans discussing "What If" the confederacy would have attacked from the flank instead of a southern approach. Just get the f&%K over it and move on. Most of these hillbillies don't understand how ignorant they look. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
It is a sign of history and the past. I could care less what people do, but I always seem to associate people who love to fly the flag with ignorance. I think people get too wrapped into it.

I have a few neighbors of mine that are civil war buffs, and you would think that after talking to them about it, that they actually lived back then. They can tell you about all the battles, how,when, and who fought them, all the military strategies. I don't see why people get so wrapped up in. Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should know history, but your historic focus shouldn't be spent on this one war. They get so consumed with it that, I ask them a question about other major points (and they claim to be big in American history) in history, like the western expansion and the history of much of the western state, and they give me this vague look.

Then they always throw around, "well the south should have one", "it wasn't for slavery, it was for states right", yaddad yadda, but they are also conservative, love everything about America, bumper sticker/flag lapel pin types too. I also screw with their heads and ask them off the wall questions like "If the South decided to succeed again today, would you fight for the USA or the Confederacy" and they always try to avoid giving me a direct answer, lol.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
They were all traitors in the worst way in my opinion.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:31 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Let's put your theory to the test and see what happens when we fly a Nazi flag. Peoples' selective outrage is amusing.
I wouldn't call it selective. Rather it's impulsive...and rightly so.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 PM

9 posts, read 68,816 times
When I see the Confederate flag, I think, "this person is really proud of their Confederate heritage." I also think "this person would probably prefer it if my people were still miserable slaves."

Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 AM

14 posts, read 24,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Let's put your theory to the test and see what happens when we fly a Nazi flag. Peoples' selective outrage is amusing.
Let's put it to the test.
Without getting sidetracked on German flag history (that's not the purpose of this thread)...
The Nazi swastika flag was not the original German flag. It is not, today, the flag universally accepted and respected as representative of the country of Germany. It was most prominently a symbol of Germany during the era of a particular ruler and party and world war.
The Nazi flag, as the world knows it, was adopted by a racist, genocidal, murdering, evil sub-human and his party who are - I pray - burning in Hell...along with some confederates who were of a similar cloth as Hitler.

The confederate flag was not the original American flag and it is not the flag universally accepted and respected as representative of the USA.
The confederate flag, as the world knows it, was adopted by a breakaway element of the country for [fill in whatever excuse or justification you will] and under which people of many colors, religions, faiths, etc. (Black, Jew, White, the list goes on) were murdered in part to sustain the evil institution of slavery. This institution would have likely resulted in the genocide of Americans of African ancestry if it were not ended.

So, selective outrage because the confederate flag and Nazi flags are selective flags of countries that represented selective periods and parties in those countries. Both countries - and the world - acknowledge those flags as being representative of shameful and wrong people, parties, ideologies, etc.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
I just don't like the flag because today it is associated with neo-nazi's, the kkk, and other white hate groups. I always get on edge whenever I see it and regarding the "It's a symbol of the South's culture" argument, I too think it's garbage. I had this one guy tell me that it's a symbol of what was and that he's proud of his great great whatevers who fought for the South, really? I didn't say anything but I know that if I lived back in those days I wouldn't even be treated as a human and I wouldv'e had the same status as your dogs leash (property), I wouldv'e been seperated from my family, I would get jumped for trying to get myself educated and at the same time get berated for being dumb, on the other hand you have it made. I also think that those who fly it really learn to look down on those who aren't white and feel that I they belong in the toolshed. I could go on but I'll stop, sorry about the long post, y'all.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,261 times
I am not black but I will speak on this topic anyway.

Everybody i've ever met who shows a confederate flag is a racist. Usually they are an outright and open racist. Sometimes they are the type that won't admit to being racist, yet they hold all the ignorant ideals and officially are a racist for sure.

I don't think that any intelligent, educated, politically correct type of person would show that symbol. They are one of two things, a racist, or very ignorant and full of false pride.

This is coming from a white person's perspective. I have met lots of rebel flag type people and talked to them over the years. And it is never an inspiring conversation. They are always small minded and not worldly or travelled.

The confederate flag is a racist symbol that people get away with showing because it has that "southern history" alibi. But it's just racist.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 PM

14 posts, read 24,532 times
Another thing -
I get confused with all of this flag flying anyway.
I can understand a fan of a team flying their flag on game day or after a big win (or loss).
I can understand flags over government buildings.
But just randomly displaying a flag on your pickup, having a flagpole in your yard, or even the flag poles attached to houses...I don't get it.
It's as foolish as walking around with someone else's name on your clothes.
But in the case of a confederate flag on a vehicle or emblem on a shirt or cap - what are you advocating and why do you feel the need to advocate?
Again, if you go out in public seeking to offend then just be straight up about it! It is the way today, people love to offend. Just be honest about your intentions.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
I live in the south and I will tell you that in urban areas you see very few confederate flags - they are mainly a product of isolated rural areas. I have to admit that it makes me angry when I see the flag displayed and I do have preconceived notions towards most of the people that fly them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.