U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that the U.S.A should use both Imperial/English & Metric system on road signs?
Yes, we should have Metric included! 16 25.81%
No, keep it only imperial like now 32 51.61%
U.S should only use metric like other countries in the whole world 14 22.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,816,959 times

Advertisements

As a tourist to the US it didn't really bother me, I just did the calculations roughly in my head, same with F and C weather temperatures.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,058,248 times
It voted to include metric. But at the same time, is this really worth spending the money to add this new signage. I would prefer that this money (which is probably pocket change in the eyes of the federal government) be put towards a more important issue.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,405,231 times
It would be nice to have both options.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
As a tourist to the US it didn't really bother me, I just did the calculations roughly in my head, same with F and C weather temperatures.
Maybe you could do the £sd. to ¢ conversions in your head too? How about Julian to Gregorian calendar conversion? I wish you a happy June 25/26--(in your part of the world) today.

Those pictures in the OP have too many signs on one pole. Just replace the old ones with new (metric-only) signs already! Anything else will prolong it into failure. Heed the words of MLK!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,816,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Maybe you could do the £sd. to ¢ conversions in your head too? How about Julian to Gregorian calendar conversion? I wish you a happy June 25/26--(in your part of the world) today.

Those pictures in the OP have too many signs on one pole. Just replace the old ones with new (metric-only) signs already! Anything else will prolong it into failure. Heed the words of MLK!!!
Lol I'm only limited to the simple things at the moment, I'll work on it though

Hmmm yeah it could distract the driver a bit more perhaps.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:51 AM

605 posts, read 2,219,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
It voted to include metric. But at the same time, is this really worth spending the money to add this new signage. I would prefer that this money (which is probably pocket change in the eyes of the federal government) be put towards a more important issue.
Yes, I'm sure there must be some small corner of Iraq that hasn't been bombed yet!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:44 AM

312 posts, read 980,989 times
I'm not from the US, have no experience whatsoever with the imperial system and I've adjusted very quickly to it in my time down here... I don't think metric on signs as well is necessary; other countries don't have imperial on their signs to help US tourists.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Yes because it's eco-friendly and cost effective. The car manufacturers have to keep two kinds of speedometer dials in stock to build cars, the cost of duplication. When a model goes through a major re-design, the excess is discarded, the cost which is transfered into the price of a car. There are more excess dials around just to keep the two systems than if only one were kept.

Another reason is that if one is moving from Canada to the States, you would have to have mile markings on the speedometer which is another unnecessary moving cost. (I glanced through my friends drivers window and the km/h markings were big enough; anything smaller, such as supplementary mph markings, was too small to be seen through the window so I'm not sure if they are included on Canadian cars.)

Even driving to Alaska entails the danger of unfamiliarity with metric; you could be looking at the MPH accidentally, going too fast, and rear-end the car in front on the two-lane road.

With the economy right now, metrication would be a good modern New Deal program. That legislation prepared the way to post-war boom by completing the modernization process. One example is the Rural Electrification Program which provided electricity to the rest of the country (rural areas). It help the United States catch up with Europe with rural electrification.

Last edited by KerrTown; 07-09-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-09-2008, 09:08 AM

Sticky:

In case there was a discrepancy regarding the choices, choice 1 doesn't replace signs with metric-only. It only adds metric supplementary signs to the bottom (or next to) the old signage. (Pictures on the OP reflect choice 1.) This is what was supposed to happen in the 1970's but ended up causing the self-prophesied failure of adoption.

Choice 3 is replacing the old signs entirely with metric-only signs with no reference to Colonial measures.
Link to what choice 3 signs look like. This is a sure fire way not to fail!

Last edited by KerrTown; 07-09-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 AM

Metrication might provide modern signage in California. The whole state is a hodgepodge of signs from different-eras--some dating back to the '50s!!!

On I-15 between San Bernardino and San Diego there was a city distance sign with kilometers in parenthesis. (IIRC there was a taxi from Tijuana next to me at the time I spotted it.) I immediately knew it must be from the late 1970's-early 1990's. Also, most of the signs don't use the florescent green and the new font that I'm used to (or spoiled) in Texas. The condition of the pavement...well that's another issue that's much harder to fix than the signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.