U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:06 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,625,350 times

Advertisements

ok, ok everybody. She wanted a place with COOLER summers than ATL, and she said she dosen't mind cold winters, why is everyone suggesting places in TN or NC???? What's difference between summer temps in Nashville or Knoxville and Atlanta? NOTHING. In fact, Nashville is HOTTER in summer.......and Raleigh is about the same. Chicago is the perfect city for her....however I don't know it's too expensive for her....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 05:22 PM

16 posts, read 40,058 times
I love this! You guys are helping so much. I came to this site by accident. It's so interesting to get so much feedback. Does anyone know about Vancouver, Wa? It came up alot while looking for apartments in Portland. I can't wait to let everyone know where I end up! I'll be deciding by the end of the month. I want to have time to put the kids in some local activities. They might have a chance to get to know some kids a little before school starts. The Northwest will be my last stop. I may see if I can post some pictures of my journey. I think I'm going to move up my trip to Colorado.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:28 PM

16 posts, read 40,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
ok, ok everybody. She wanted a place with COOLER summers than ATL, and she said she dosen't mind cold winters, why is everyone suggesting places in TN or NC???? What's difference between summer temps in Nashville or Knoxville and Atlanta? NOTHING. In fact, Nashville is HOTTER in summer.......and Raleigh is about the same. Chicago is the perfect city for her....however I don't know it's too expensive for her....

I'll know as of Thursday. I'm going to go and get a feel. I've been before, but I was always busy. I've never gone just for fun. I've only been for business. BTW you're so funny!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerinheadlights View Post
I'll know as of Thursday. I'm going to go and get a feel. I've been before, but I was always busy. I've never gone just for fun. I've only been for business. BTW you're so funny!
hehe thanks I guess. I have an aunt who lives in Chicago and whenever I go to Chicago I always have lots of fun, it's a fun city, I hope you have fun!!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:15 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,051,441 times
Chicago gets tornados too right? how can that be perfect?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
Chicago gets tornados too right? how can that be perfect?
VERY rarely does it get torandoes, in fact ATL probably gets more tornadoes than Chicago, since Chicago is close to Lake Michigan, that kinda sheilds it from torandoes, which is why the amount of tornadoes increases rapidly once you get west of Rockford.......

Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,711,215 times
Well, if you really think about it, this year has been a really active year for tornadoes all over the country, besides this year, the last time there was a tornado in the city was 1975 I think. But still the risk is still there so I think the Pacific north west is still best. And even though Chicago doesn't get any tornadoes, its not called the Windy City for nothing.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 PM

[quote=Go Ne;4383061]Well, if you really think about it, this year has been a really active year for tornadoes all over the country, besides this year, the last time there was a tornado in the city was 1975 I think. But still the risk is still there so I think the Pacific north west is still best. And even though Chicago doesn't get any tornadoes, its not called the Windy City for nothing.[/QUOTE

though Chicago IS windy, that's not why it's called the windy city. The origin of the name comes from the late 1800s when people said that Chicago's politicians were "blowing a lot of wind" when they speak..

I think another good suggestion is Minneapolis, I may be wrong about this, but I think it's cheaper than Chicago, and it's very diverse, and the summers aren't THAT bad compared to Atlanta.

Good luck

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM

305 posts, read 886,920 times
Boy you guys always forget to mention Minnesota and the twin cities. Recreaion is great especially for families. Kids would have no problem finding things to do. Lots and lots of black people. Some of them are my good buddies and co workers. Winters are at best COLD. Nothing to hit wind chills 60 below zero. However if you are equipped for winter and have boots and hat and the kids to you will do fine. You may have to take your battery out of your car on really cold nights but here in Minnesota that is nothing new. People are great. But in the twin cities you will NOT get a three bedroom anything for I would guess be less than 1500. Outside the twin cities I would say maybe. Your choice and good luck in your move.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
Boy you guys always forget to mention Minnesota and the twin cities. Recreaion is great especially for families. Kids would have no problem finding things to do. Lots and lots of black people. Some of them are my good buddies and co workers. Winters are at best COLD. Nothing to hit wind chills 60 below zero. However if you are equipped for winter and have boots and hat and the kids to you will do fine. You may have to take your battery out of your car on really cold nights but here in Minnesota that is nothing new. People are great. But in the twin cities you will NOT get a three bedroom anything for I would guess be less than 1500. Outside the twin cities I would say maybe. Your choice and good luck in your move.
hey!!! I mentioned Minneapolis in my post above!!! I agree that everyone always suggest sunbelt cities for whatever reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.