U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2008, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Central Nebraska
1,821 posts, read 4,640,889 times
Reputation: 5065

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
VERY rarely does it get torandoes, in fact ATL probably gets more tornadoes than Chicago, since Chicago is close to Lake Michigan, that kinda sheilds it from torandoes, which is why the amount of tornadoes increases rapidly once you get west of Rockford.......
Learned something new today, which suburbs got hit with the tornado this year?

Is Milwaukee somewhat sheilded by the lake too? If so, that could be another option for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
603 posts, read 2,108,845 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Learned something new today, which suburbs got hit with the tornado this year?

Is Milwaukee somewhat sheilded by the lake too? If so, that could be another option for her.
Yes, Milwaukee is shielded by the lake. Every year we have tornado watches (i.e., conditions are favorable for tornados), but it rarely amounts to anything due to Lake Michigan.

Milwaukee is a nice place to live and cheaper than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,623,180 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Learned something new today, which suburbs got hit with the tornado this year?

Is Milwaukee somewhat sheilded by the lake too? If so, that could be another option for her.
I don't really know, if any part of Chicago gets hit with tornadoes, it'll be the FAAARR western 'burbs.


I agree w/ Littledog, Milwaukee is also very nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,956,604 times
Reputation: 1789
St Louis?
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,956,604 times
Reputation: 1789
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Races in Seattle:

* White Non-Hispanic (67.9%)
* Black (8.4%)
* Hispanic (5.3%)
* Two or more races (4.5%)
* Chinese (3.4%)
* Filipino (2.8%)
* Other race (2.4%)
* Vietnamese (2.1%)
* American Indian (2.1%)
* Other Asian (1.8%)
* Japanese (1.6%)
* Korean (0.9%)
* Asian Indian (0.5%)

Races in Portland:

* White Non-Hispanic (75.5%)
* Hispanic (6.8%)
* Black (6.6%)
* Two or more races (4.1%)
* Other race (3.5%)
* American Indian (2.3%)
* Vietnamese (2.0%)
* Chinese (1.4%)
* Other Asian (1.3%)
* Filipino (0.5%)
* Japanese (0.5%)

ROFL, you hardly proved your point that there are blacks there. 6 and 8 percent are hardly noticeable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 12:37 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,623,180 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
ROFL, you hardly proved your point that there are blacks there. 6 and 8 percent are hardly noticeable!
yea I know, that's nothing compared to ATL where it's like 62% black
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 01:03 PM
 
2,502 posts, read 8,052,913 times
Reputation: 885
Chicago is just really expensive though. Even the costs of parking alone are insane. And the taxes...yikes. She'd get a better deal for her money elsewhere - there's no avoiding that fact. And when I lived there, a tornado took the roof off of my house! So much for that arguement...

And the reason why people are picking states with moderate weather is because of the adjustment factor - she may not mind cold weather for short periods of time, but jumping right into 5+ months of freezing cold, gloomy weather can be a HUGE shock for someone who has never lived in it before.

As for Milwaukee...it probably wouldn't be the best fit. It's a pretty segregated city, and the areas with minorities tend to have bad schools. I obviously don't mean this in a racist way, but it's true. There are tornados as well. I don't see why people try to deny their existence?

Saint Louis might be better...I wouldn't really know, as I haven't spent a ton of time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,623,180 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Chicago is just really expensive though. Even the costs of parking alone are insane. And the taxes...yikes. She'd get a better deal for her money elsewhere - there's no avoiding that fact.

And the reason why people are picking states with moderate weather is because of the adjustment factor - she may not mind cold weather for short periods of time, but jumping right into 5+ months of freezing cold, gloomy weather can be a HUGE shock for someone who has never lived in it before.

As for Milwaukee...it probably wouldn't be the best fit. It's a pretty segregated city, and the areas with minorities tend to have bad schools. I obviously don't mean this in a racist way, but it's true. Saint Louis might be better...I wouldn't really know, as I haven't spent a ton of time there.
that's the thing though, people think that the ONLY extreme is cold, which is not true. Places in the south might have moderate WINTERS but summers aren't moderate at all, Chicago or Milwaukee have MUCH more moderate summers than anywhere in the south, except maybe places in the mountains. And how do you know she won't adjust well?? my aunt moved from MIAMI to Chicago and she adjusted to the climate very well, and in fact LOVES the climate there. I think if someone from Miami can adjust to the weather in Chicago, than someone from ATL can definitely do it. The only thing though....expensive.

which is why I also suggested Minneapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,956,604 times
Reputation: 1789
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
St Louis?
Good luck!

Just wanted to claify that my post was suggesting St. Louis as a possiblity and then also telling the op good luck with her decision. Not "St Louis? Good luck" lol, when I went back and re-read it, it looked sarcastic and that is not what I meant! Just wanted to make myself clear,lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM
 
2,502 posts, read 8,052,913 times
Reputation: 885
I've lived in both the north (WI and IL) and the south (NV). I realize that there is a such thing as extreme heat.

But experiencing 5+ months of extreme cold when you've never lived in it before can be a really tough adjustment. I mean, this year, winter in the Great Lake states lasted until April and had reached record snowfall. That would be insane for someone who never lived in the cold before. I'm glad that your aunt adjusted well, but honestly, most people don't.

That's why people are suggesting compromises (such as CO, which gets cold, but not as cold as the midwest, and has plenty of sunshine. And eastern TN, which snows sometimes, but doesn't get too cold).

Minneapolis...I don't know about that. Getting a decent 3-bedroom would probably be outside of her price range. MN isn't as expensive as Chicago, but still pretty expensive. Plus, MN is colder and would be even more of an adjustment.

Saint Louis is probably her best bet in the midwest...maybe Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top