U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is TX the best state of USA ?
YES 57 28.36%
NO 144 71.64%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
343 posts, read 848,539 times
Reputation: 197

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
As mentioned by a previous poster, this thread started in the Texas forum and was moved to General U.S.
That explains it.


ATTENTION EVERYONE: DO NOT ACCEPT THE RESULTS OF THIS POLL. THEY ARE TAINTED BY SELECTION BIAS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 393,577 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
No it's not. The fastest growing state is Nevada, and a few other states are growing faster than Texas.
Population Estimates Data Sets (http://www.census.gov/popest/datasets.html - broken link)
Wrong. Tell me which state is growing faster, Nevada or Texas: State Population Data. Hell, take out birth-deaths if you want. Just look at domestic migration and international migration.

Quote:
Still, this is beside my point. Texas does NOT have 30% of the US population. It has around 8%. This means one of two things: people from other states are saying yes to this question, therein admitting their own states are inferior. Or Texans are voting in this thread disproportionately.
What? You can't seriously judge this off of a poll from City Data. It doesn't make sense. Also, you don't have to live in Texas to say it's the best state. Just like some in Texas may live here, but don't think its the best state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,469 posts, read 25,549,683 times
Reputation: 8945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Wrong. Tell me which state is growing faster, Nevada or Texas: State Population Data. Hell, take out birth-deaths if you want. Just look at domestic migration and international migration.
Are you serious? Look at the % change in population, Nevada is growing at a faster RATE than TX. Both AZ and NV have been the two fastest growing states for decades. You can't compare total population change b/c of the differences in size, which is why people look at % change RATES and not total #'s. TX is growing with more people total but it is NOT growing FASTER at all, NV has a much higher RATE of growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
343 posts, read 848,539 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Wrong. Tell me which state is growing faster, Nevada or Texas: State Population Data. Hell, take out birth-deaths if you want. Just look at domestic migration and international migration.
Look. The reason that you seem to believe Texas is the fastest growing state is because it adds more total people every year than Nevada. But that's because there are more total people already there. That's why we look at growth rates which standardizes the absolute increase to the size of the population. Nevada has higher growth rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
What? You can't seriously judge this off of a poll from City Data. It doesn't make sense. Also, you don't have to live in Texas to say it's the best state. Just like some in Texas may live here, but don't think its the best state.
Right, but it seems unlikely that SO MANY people from other states think Texas is best. That's why the most likely explanation is an overabundance of TX voters in this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 12:05 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,181,092 times
Reputation: 5746
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
Can't say, never lived there.
You have to admire the pride with class displayed
on this forum. All to often others seem to get to defensive
or whiny. Seems Texans say we like it here, if you don't adiós.
Thanks Danco!

Quote:
..on a side note is it true that Texas is the only state in the
union that can actually secede if they vote it ?
As someone else said, no, that is just a myth. Without getting into my own feelings as regards the concept of secession, the right to secede was never part of the Annexation agreement with the United States when the Republic of Texas joined the Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Well, it may be "legal", but they tried it before and the Yankees kicked their behinds!!
Not Texas they didn't, by gawd. As it was, we were the only state of the Southern Confederacy in which the yankees never made a lasting base because we kicked THEIR behinds ever time they tried. In fact, two instances stand out. First was the Battle of Sabine Pass, where all of 47 Texans turned back an entire northern invasion fleet. CSA President Jefferson Davis praised it as "...the greatest military victory in the history of the world."

Handbook of Texas Online - SABINE PASS, BATTLE OF

The second was the Battle of Palmito Ranch, which is generally considered the last real engagement of the "Civil War." It was a Confederate victory on Texas soil!

Handbook of Texas Online - PALMITO RANCH, BATTLE OF

With all of that said though, I am one who also questions the whole intent of this thread topic. Just to stir **** up whether unintentionally or by design is the only thing I can think of.

Naturally, I consider Texas the best state in the USA, will rabidly and passionately defend it, and wish good-luck and god-speed, and Southwest Airlines is ready when you are, to those who move down here, then run it down. At the same time though, I agree with (I think it was without going back to check for sure), my yankee friend Steve-O said, it is all subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 393,577 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Are you serious? Look at the % change in population, Nevada is growing at a faster RATE than TX. Both AZ and NV have been the two fastest growing states for decades. You can't compare total population change b/c of the differences in size, which is why people look at % change RATES and not total #'s. TX is growing with more people total but it is NOT growing FASTER at all, NV has a much higher RATE of growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
Look. The reason that you seem to believe Texas is the fastest growing state is because it adds more total people every year than Nevada. But that's because there are more total people already there. That's why we look at growth rates which standardizes the absolute increase to the size of the population. Nevada has higher growth rate.
No, Texas is adding more people domestically and internationally. I said don't look at the total numbers so we can be fair. The far right two columns. Texas is growing faster in both.

You can't say "well, it has more people", because look at New York or California (specifically California). Check out their domestic numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,469 posts, read 25,549,683 times
Reputation: 8945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
No, Texas is adding more people domestically and internationally. I said don't look at the total numbers so we can be fair. The far right two columns. Texas is growing faster in both.

You can't say "well, it has more people", because look at New York or California (specifically California). Check out their domestic numbers.
They are still not adding as many people as a percentage of their population as AZ and NV. How do you not understand that? When you talk about how "FAST" a place grows you look at GROWTH RATES. I'm not looking at the numbers but at the PERCENTAGES since that is the measure of growth.

You can try to spin however you want in your 17 year old head, but the FACT is that AZ and NV are growing at a FASTER RATE than TX. Maybe when you get some more schooling you'll understand this.

Also check out CA's international #'s, over 2x as high as TX. But still that doesn't mean it's growing faster or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 393,577 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They are still not adding as many people as a percentage of their population as AZ and NV. How do you not understand that? When you talk about how "FAST" a place grows you look at GROWTH RATES. I'm not looking at the numbers but at the PERCENTAGES since that is the measure of growth.

You can try to spin however you want in your 17 year old head, but the FACT is that AZ and NV are growing at a FASTER RATE than TX. Maybe when you get some more schooling you'll understand this.

Also check out CA's international #'s, over 2x as high as TX. But still that doesn't mean it's growing faster or more.
That's nice, but overall, Texas is growing faster than both of them. Besides, I never said Texas was growing at a faster rate than AZ or NV. Somehow in your head, you got that. What do they teach in Cali? I said it was growing faster, which it is in raw numbers.

And Cali's international numbers are 2x that of Texas, but look at Cali's domestic numbers. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 12:31 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,469 posts, read 25,549,683 times
Reputation: 8945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
That's nice, but overall, Texas is growing faster than both of them. Besides, I never said Texas was growing at a faster rate than AZ or NV. Somehow in your head, you got that. What do they teach in Cali? I said it was growing faster, which it is in raw numbers.

Wow, you really don't get it do you? You just said TX is growing faster! Obviously you don't understand the difference in rates vs overall numbers. CA obviously teaches us something about growth that they don't teach in TX.

and this is YOUR ORIGINAL POST about TX growth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
But Texas isthe second most populous state, and is the fastest growing state in the United States, and has been since 2000. Don't sleep on Texas. Most people are ignorant about this place.
So how does TX being the "fastest growing state in the United States" not imply that it is growing faster than every other state including NV and AZ???

It's not growing faster but by MORE people overall, which is in relation to it's size.


Quote:
And Cali's international numbers are 2x that of Texas, but look at Cali's domestic numbers. Pathetic.
And this is exactly why you look at GROWTH RATES. You can't pick and choose what to look at and spin it how you want, which is what you are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 393,577 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Wow, you really don't get it do you? You just said TX is growing faster! Obviously you don't understand the difference in rates vs overall numbers. CA obviously teaches us something about growth that they don't teach in TX.

and this is YOUR ORIGINAL POST about TX growth:



So how does TX being the "fastest growing state in the United States" not imply that it is growing faster than every other state including NV and AZ???
Yes, I said fastest growing, and Texas is the fastest growing...in raw numbers. Just like you say AZ and NV is the fastest growing....but in growth rates. It could have taken it either way.

Quote:
It's not growing faster but by MORE people overall, which is in relation to it's size.
It is growing faster in terms of raw numbers. It adds more domestically and internationally than AZ or NV. Since AZ and NV are smaller, their growth rates will obviously be larger, but that doesn't mean they added more people domestically or internationally than Texas.

Quote:
And this is exactly why you look at GROWTH RATES. You can't pick and choose what to look at and spin it how you want, which is what you are doing.
Uh....no. I'm not spinning anything. You're the one saying I said Texas has a faster growth rate than AZ or NV, when I really said that it was just growing faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top