U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is TX the best state of USA ?
YES 57 28.36%
NO 144 71.64%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,057,804 times

Advertisements

Okay even though I was kind of anti-Texas in my earlier post...somebody mentioned that they though Texas was nothing but a barren wasteland???!!!? Maybe in El Paso, but you would have to be stupid to move to that part of Texas in the first place! But if there is one thing positive that I will say about east Texas it is that it has some very beautiful small towns (my favorite being a tiny place called Brenham, which also happens to be home to the Blue Bell ice cream factory) There is also plenty enough vegitation and I don't see how it is anywheres near accurate to classify the whole state outside of the cities as barren wasteland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:08 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,488,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
This poll is a joke. Just because a state has the most jingoistic residents doesn't make it the best. It's making up for deficiencies, IMHO.
Ouch! Not a lot of people use that word these days.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,488,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I would be inclined to vote no…simply because I don't care for the weather and geography of Texas. As for the people...well that is a different story.

I've worked in Austin and Houston on temporary assignments so I've met many Texans in my life and I like the people and most aspects of Texas culture, it's just the weather and geography I don't care for...
Likewise, don't care too much for geo and weather but like the people and their unique culture. Give me the mountains and oceans any day.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:30 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,394,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
I wonder how many people who have been voting now, have actually been to Texas.
I haven't been to Texas and wasn't going to vote but it was too close for my tastes and I love Illinois (Whether it's that best state I haven't decided) the heat is too much for me though, being there or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust2900 View Post
Most people that live here will tell you "HELL YEA". In my humble opinion I have to agree. We have over 23 million residents, 3 of the top 10 largest cities in the USA, affordable housing, diverse industries, decent weather, wide open terrain and one of the worlds' (yes world) strongest economy.
At least some more love for the plains. People form California and New York seem to always be putting down the vastness of the plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
outside of the TEXAS IS BEST attitude of some residents of the state, I've found it to be nothing short of a great place. It has entire cities to fit different categories of people, and generally doesn't lose track of the midwest like the coasts tend to.

"Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Wyoming/Colorado/Oklahoma/everyotherstateinthecountrybesidesNYandCA? where's that?" -Southern California / NYC
I usually don't mind people vying for their state or city and the fact that I haven't heard a "what's there to do in those states?" makes the people sound better than those of some other states. Like this guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
No. Why not? Lame cities without vibrant urban historic cores. No skiing areas. No surfing areas. Ugly landscape. Outside of cities backwards folks. Summer heat. Bugs. Humidity. States I prefer- California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, New York, Mass., North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, Montana, Alaska, Penn., Utah, Idaho, I could go on. Texas rates very low for me. Better than Kansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, and some other nothing states, but pretty lame. Austin is nice, San Antonio is OK, Dallas is OK, Houston blows, and the rest of the state is basically a wasteland.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 AM

415 posts, read 390,656 times
How can the heat be too much if you haven't been there? That's what I mean. Texas is a big state.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 AM

2,271 posts, read 4,528,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
How can the heat be too much if you haven't been there? That's what I mean. Texas is a big state.
Some people really don't tolerate heat very well at all, which I can understand. When I lived in Boston, I had quite a little chuckle when they told me things were going to be warming up into the 40s during the fall, but they must have been howling when I was enduring those winters! Though people don't believe me when I tell them there are places that get a fair amount of snow in Texas.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:12 AM

415 posts, read 390,656 times
Yes, like Lubbock and Amarillo. They always get snow. DFW gets it sometimes, too, but it is never widespread over the whole area.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 AM

8,223 posts, read 27,112,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Sounds like a typical Texan.

First of all, Texas has the 5th highest teen pregnancy rate out of every state in the nation. Only behind Nevada, Mississippi, New Mexico, and Arizona.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/2006/09/12/USTPstats.pdf

Also, Texas has the 12th highest violent crime rate:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/tables/08s0301.pdf (broken link)

Lastly Texas' public education was ranked 25th in the United States. Now obviously, these kind of rankings can be biased, but it is clearly not the best:

Smartest State 2006-2007

Maybe it would do some good to leave Texas and see the rest of the world, rather than have blind, unjustified patriotism.

Of course this sounds like a typical Texan --- and this post was meant to be sarcastic, as I stated in my 2nd post in this topic.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,145,269 times
Voted no. Lived in Texas for a few years and traveled around the state when I was there. Didn't impress me much to tell the truth.

Big? Sure no arguing that fact.

Diverse landscape? Somewhat.

Diverse weather? Not really. A spread between Damn hot and cool. No real seasonal changes though to speak of. Some areas get snow, a little, but not enough to really count as a snowfall, and not enough to offset the blistering Summer temps.

Don't get me wrong, the few years I spent there I made some very good friends and did enjoy myself, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is the "Best State". If you live there, then I would hope you think it is the best state. If you live in NJ I would hope you think that is the best state. I live where I do because I think it is the best state for me and my family. If I thought Texas was the best I would be back down there.

Kind of a loaded poll question if you ask me. Looks like it is designed to stir up the pot and get a major argument going as to why Texas is or isn't the best. It is for some people and families, but not for all.

Last edited by Bydand; 07-10-2008 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: grammatical error

Old 07-10-2008, 07:12 AM

4,102 posts, read 7,361,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
..on a side note is it true that Texas is the only state in the
union that can actually secede if they vote it ?
Well, it may be "legal", but they tried it before and the Yankees kicked their behinds!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or