U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite city in the sunbelt?
Atlanta 9 21.43%
Austin 3 7.14%
Charlotte 1 2.38%
Dallas 2 4.76%
Houston 6 14.29%
Los Angeles 2 4.76%
Miami 5 11.90%
Orlando 1 2.38%
Phoenix 1 2.38%
San Diego 9 21.43%
San Francisco 3 7.14%
West Palm Beach 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,955,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I would also add that these cities tend to be characterized by having lots of auto oriented development and sprawl and suburban since most of them didn't really start becoming big until after WWII and much of their development patterns reflect that.
Thanks for that tidbit! How would San Diego fall into that category then because as far as I know, it dosn't have alot of auto oriented development?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 01:24 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,433,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Thanks for that tidbit! How would San Diego fall into that category then because as far as I know, it dosn't have alot of auto oriented development?
How do you figure that? Outside of the central area of SD and maybe some of the beach communities most everything is auto oriented. Even Mission Valley and UTC with their very dense development is still geared towards the automobile rather than people or transit. Clairemont Mesa, University City, Carmel Valley, La Jolla, Rancho Bernardo and pretty much every North County suburbs are all auto oriented sprawl. It has a helluva lot more auto oriented development that it doesn't.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Explain "auto oriented"? I guess I'm just slow,lol Are you saying, you need an auto to get around? My first thought was "auto industry"so that is my confusion. I never cared to know any of these "labels" before I guess! I was just a habitant!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:39 PM

288 posts, read 809,138 times
Austin, followed closely by San Diego and San Antonio (not listed).

Old 07-09-2008, 01:44 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,466,100 times
Quote:
Explain "auto oriented"? I guess I'm just slow,lol Are you saying, you need an auto to get around? My first thought was "auto industry"so that is my confusion. I never cared to know any of these "labels" before I guess! I was just a habitant!
Basically, it means you need a car to get around and public transportation isn't a major factor in terms of development.

BTW, I concur that San Francisco is not "Sunbelt". San Jose would be, sort of, but the Bay Area is too far north and too liberal to be considered a sunbelt area, which tend to be more conservative (although there are exceptions).

I voted for San Diego. Lived there for 11 years. C-O-L sucks, but the weather can't be beat.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Basically, it means you need a car to get around and public transportation isn't a major factor in terms of development.

BTW, I concur that San Francisco is not "Sunbelt". San Jose would be, sort of, but the Bay Area is too far north and too liberal to be considered a sunbelt area, which tend to be more conservative (although there are exceptions).

I voted for San Diego. Lived there for 11 years. C-O-L sucks, but the weather can't be beat.
Thank you! I'm not big on public transportation, but then I've always enjoyed living outside of city limits. I think then, you definately have a point about SF not being sunbelt!
ATL, I hear, has a good system, but I don't or wouldn't use it.
San Diego, got the trolley, but we always felt it was used more to haul "trash" into our areas.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:52 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,466,100 times
Quote:
Thank you! I'm not big on public transportation, but then I've always enjoyed living outside of city limits. I think then, you definately have a point about SF not being sunbelt!
ATL, I hear, has a good system, but I don't or wouldn't use it.
San Diego, got the trolley, but we always felt it was used more to haul "trash" into our areas.
Well, public transportation is useful for getting people around without people clogging the streets with traffic. I use MARTA to get around DT Atlanta and to the airport.

And having rid the trolley in San Diego, I didn't find it to be used to haul 'trash', whatever that means. I think I know what you mean, but I'm not about to go there...

Old 07-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Well, public transportation is useful for getting people around without people clogging the streets with traffic. I use MARTA to get around DT Atlanta and to the airport.

And having rid the trolley in San Diego, I didn't find it to be used to haul 'trash', whatever that means. I think I know, but I'm not about to go there...

Well, if you hung at some of the trolley stations then you would know. I'm not too pc to go there. Yes, public transportation, which most times, "means well" is not the safest transportation around. Marta and the trolley are no exception.

Editing for some typos. Using my husband's laptop with sticky keys ack!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:58 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,125,548 times
Quote:
What exactly is a "sunbelt" city? Don't dog me, I really don't know! Especially seeing that San Diego is on the list and I'm born and raised there, and Atl and I live an hour outside of it,lol. Who knew?!

That's a good question, Breeze. Here is a decent map which seems to show the approximate extent of the so-called "Sun Belt"

Image:Map of USA highlighting Sun Belt.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO though, it is important to note that it is not a true "region" of the United States in terms of history or culture (the things that define a true region/sub-region), but more of a "Chamber of Commerce" type designation which connects states across the southern tier of the country which, as several other posters mentioned, shares commonalities of weather, booming economy, business friendly tax policies, etc. Or at least they did back when the phrase took hold in the 80's.

And, especially in the true historically Southern states' part of this "region" (NC thru Texas) it was a slogan used by the same CofC concerns, to attract businesses and industry and workers from parts of the country where "Southern" had a negative connotation. "Sunbelt" just sounded much less threatening and devoid of historical baggage. (BTW -- "their" rationale, not mine. Personally, and far as I am concerned, if one has a negative image of the South, then do a favor all the way around and stay out of it! )

But point is, many of these states, ranging from east to west have almost nothing in common with one another. Particularly when one got west of Texas and the traditional South and all spheres of influence ended. That is, into the true Southwest of the West.

Oh well, just my own rambling thoughts for the day!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
That's a good question, Breeze. Here is a decent map which seems to show the approximate extent of the so-called "Sun Belt"

Image:Map of USA highlighting Sun Belt.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO though, it is important to note that it is not a true "region" of the United States in terms of history or culture (the things that define a true region/sub-region), but more of a "Chamber of Commerce" type designation which connects states across the southern tier of the country which, as several other posters mentioned, shares commonalities of weather, booming economy, business friendly tax policies, etc. Or at least they did back when the phrase took hold in the 80's.

And, especially in the true historically Southern states' part of this "region" (NC thru Texas) it was a slogan used by the same CofC concerns, to attract businesses and industry and workers from parts of the country where "Southern" had a negative connotation. "Sunbelt" just sounded much less threatening and devoid of historical baggage. (BTW -- "their" rationale, not mine. Personally, and far as I am concerned, if one has a negative image of the South, then do a favor all the way around and stay out of it! )

But point is, many of these states, ranging from east to west have almost nothing in common with one another. Particularly when one got west of Texas and the traditional South and all spheres of influence ended. That is, into the true Southwest of the West.

Oh well, just my own rambling thoughts for the day!
Thanks Tex! You're always the gentleman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or