U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Favorite city in the sunbelt?
Atlanta 9 21.43%
Austin 3 7.14%
Charlotte 1 2.38%
Dallas 2 4.76%
Houston 6 14.29%
Los Angeles 2 4.76%
Miami 5 11.90%
Orlando 1 2.38%
Phoenix 1 2.38%
San Diego 9 21.43%
San Francisco 3 7.14%
West Palm Beach 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:02 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
Reputation: 4768

Advertisements

My two favorite Sunbelt places, Las Vegas and Raleigh were not listed. Neither was Tampa, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,462,545 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Well, if you hung at some of the trolley stations then you would know. I'm not too pc to go there. Yes, public transportation, which most times, "means well" is not the safest transportation around. Marta and the trolley are no exception.

Editing for some typos. Using my husband's laptop with sticky keys ack!
I've been on enough public transportation systems to know. I know us big scary minorities tend to use Public transportation moreso than ya'll good white folks. I know when I board a train, I try to figure out what people I'm going to rob so I can buy a fried chicken and watermelon dinner before I go home and impregnante another babymama.

But seriously, you're going to have the good with the bad in large cities full of people. What did you expect, Disney World?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,462,545 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
My two favorite Sunbelt places, Las Vegas and Raleigh were not listed. Neither was Tampa, btw.

LV should be on here. Even, ugh, Tampa Bay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,466 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Well, public transportation is useful for getting people around without people clogging the streets with traffic. I use MARTA to get around DT Atlanta and to the airport.

And having rid the trolley in San Diego, I didn't find it to be used to haul 'trash', whatever that means. I think I know what you mean, but I'm not about to go there...

Unfortunately this is the mindset a fair amount of people in Southern CA have about public transit yet they don't seem to realize in many other cities across this country people of all incomes use it, not just the poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Well, if you hung at some of the trolley stations then you would know. I'm not too pc to go there. Yes, public transportation, which most times, "means well" is not the safest transportation around. Marta and the trolley are no exception.

Editing for some typos. Using my husband's laptop with sticky keys ack!
well if you're hanging out on the Orange Line in East SD or the Blue Line near the border, those trolley station reflect the neighborhood. But in the better parts of town like Little Italy, Mission Valley, SDSU, La Mesa, etc.. it's perfectly fine and safe.

Have you ever ridden the Coaster? the people who use that are very affluent and middle to upper middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,951,554 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I've been on enough public transportation systems to know. I know us big scary minorities tend to use Public transportation moreso than ya'll good white folks. I know when I board a train, I try to figure out what people I'm going to rob so I can buy a fried chicken and watermelon dinner before I go home and impregnante another babymama.

But seriously, you're going to have the good with the bad in large cities full of people. What did you expect, Disney World?

You don't have to be sarcastic, it's a fact of life. If the description dosn't apply to you, then why post something like you did.
I don't live in the "big city" for safety reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,951,554 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Unfortunately this is the mindset a fair amount of people in Southern CA have about public transit yet they don't seem to realize in many other cities across this country people of all incomes use it, not just the poor.



well if you're hanging out on the Orange Line in East SD or the Blue Line near the border, those trolley station reflect the neighborhood. But in the better parts of town like Little Italy, Mission Valley, SDSU, La Mesa, etc.. it's perfectly fine and safe.

Have you ever ridden the Coaster? the people who use that are very affluent and middle to upper middle class.
No, I didn't grow up with anyone in my family using pulic transportation and the Coaster does not operate in my area. I grew up in La Mesa and Santee and trust me, when the trolley started to make stations in La Mesa and Santee, plenty of people were upset.
We rode the trolley once from La Mesa to a Padre game and it was a less than pleasant experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,462,545 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Unfortunately this is the mindset a fair amount of people in Southern CA have about public transit yet they don't seem to realize in many other cities across this country people of all incomes use it, not just the poor.



well if you're hanging out on the Orange Line in East SD or the Blue Line near the border, those trolley station reflect the neighborhood. But in the better parts of town like Little Italy, Mission Valley, SDSU, La Mesa, etc.. it's perfectly fine and safe.

Have you ever ridden the Coaster? the people who use that are very affluent and middle to upper middle class.

Exactly. This mentality is quite prevalent in Atlanta too. That's one of the many reasons why MARTA didn't expand along with Atlanta's growth over the last 2 decades. IIRC, one of MARTA's nicknames was "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta". The white folks in the suburbs at the time didnt want a 'criminal element' moving into their neighborhood. The ironic thing is, the people they were trying to avoid wound up moving out to those areas anyhow, so whatever.

Compare that to a city like Washington, DC or Chicago, which yes, have horrid congestion, but imagine how much worse it would be if they didn't have their transportation systems. The DC Metro is one of the better systems in the country, and it forever changed how DC and the surrounding area developed. Chicago has an older, albeit comprehensive mass transit system combined with a great commuter rail system. Atlanta DESPERATELY needs a commuter rail system to help with the congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,951,554 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Exactly. This mentality is quite prevalent in Atlanta too. That's one of the many reasons why MARTA didn't expand along with Atlanta's growth over the last 2 decades. IIRC, one of MARTA's nicknames was "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta". The white folks in the suburbs at the time didnt want a 'criminal element' moving into their neighborhood. The ironic thing is, the people they were trying to avoid wound up moving out to those areas anyhow, so whatever.

Compare that to a city like Washington, DC or Chicago, which yes, have horrid congestion, but imagine how much worse it would be if they didn't have their transportation systems. The DC Metro is one of the better systems in the country, and it forever changed how DC and the surrounding area developed. Chicago has an older, albeit comprehensive mass transit system combined with a great commuter rail system. Atlanta DESPERATELY needs a commuter rail system to help with the congestion.
Grindin, I'm sorry. I don't have anything against you at all and personally, would probably like you. The fact that MARTA is known as that, is a sad fact. That was one of the first things I learned when moving here. Unfortunately, it's the gang banging type that make most people stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,466 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
No, I didn't grow up with anyone in my family using pulic transportation and the Coaster does not operate in my area. I grew up in La Mesa and Santee and trust me, when the trolley started to make stations in La Mesa and Santee, plenty of people were upset.
We rode the trolley once from La Mesa to a Padre game and it was a less than pleasant experience.
Well that's too bad, I grew up taking BART up in the Bay Area all the time and it was great. I'm sure some loud mouth NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) types were upset. People in those parts were upset probably b/c they had the same thoughts like you, that public transit just brings hobos and bums to the area, which is not true. Now look at the Trolley, it's one of those most successful light rail systems in the country. All those people who complained about the Mission Valley East extension through SDSU have been proven wrong, again. Just like all the naysayers for the UTC extension will be proven wrong.

So you rode the trolley once and decided never to try again. What was the bad experience exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,466 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Reputation: 8936
Thankfully with all the congestion and gas prices that mindset in SoCal is becoming less prevalent. Even BEVERLY HILLS wants a subway station when they expand the Red Line in LA to Santa Monica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top