U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite city in the sunbelt?
Atlanta 9 21.43%
Austin 3 7.14%
Charlotte 1 2.38%
Dallas 2 4.76%
Houston 6 14.29%
Los Angeles 2 4.76%
Miami 5 11.90%
Orlando 1 2.38%
Phoenix 1 2.38%
San Diego 9 21.43%
San Francisco 3 7.14%
West Palm Beach 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,950,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well that's too bad, I grew up taking BART up in the Bay Area all the time and it was great. I'm sure some loud mouth NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) types were upset. People in those parts were upset probably b/c they had the same thoughts like you, that public transit just brings hobos and bums to the area, which is not true. Now look at the Trolley, it's one of those most successful light rail systems in the country. All those people who complained about the Mission Valley East extension through SDSU have been proven wrong, again. Just like all the naysayers for the UTC extension will be proven wrong.

So you rode the trolley once and decided never to try again. What was the bad experience exactly?

Our bad experience? The people that rode it that looked like they'd slit our thoats if we looked at them! Not fun.
Now we did visit Chicago on vacation once and rode the L (is that what it is called?) around the city and had no problem. That looks like a city that has a very good public transportation system.
But in all fairness, I grew up in a place that didn't have one so it is an awkward feeling for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:26 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,462,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Grindin, I'm sorry. I don't have anything against you at all and personally, would probably like you. The fact that MARTA is known as that, is a sad fact. That was one of the first things I learned when moving here. Unfortunately, it's the gang banging type that make most people stereotype.

No need to apologize! When MARTA was designed and implemented, it didn't help that many of the stations went through what were at the time some of the worst parts of town. Of course, with the gentrification of the area, many neighborhoods have changed over time, but the perception is still there - especially with mentally unstable rubes like this riding the it:
YouTube - ATL Hoodrat aka SOULJA GIRL goes crazy on the Marta!

In contrast, DC's metro bypassed many of the worst parts of DC when it was completed, but the Green Line was eventually completed, which did go through some less-than-desirable parts of town, however, the Metro station openings were an asset to those neighborhoods.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:28 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Quote:
Our bad experience? The people that rode it that looked like they'd slit our thoats if we looked at them! Not fun.
Now we did visit Chicago on vacation once and rode the L (is that what it is called?) around the city and had no problem. That looks like a city that has a very good public transportation system.
But in all fairness, I grew up in a place that didn't have one so it is an awkward feeling for us.
WOW, no offense but you have some thin skin or something. I know the the types of people you're talking about and I've never thought they were that bad nor have I ever felt unsafe there. You'd probably be surprised that some people aren't exactly how you think they are.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
No need to apologize! When MARTA was designed and implemented, it didn't help that many of the stations went through what were at the time some of the worst parts of town. Of course, with the gentrification of the area, many neighborhoods have changed over time, but the perception is still there - especially with mentally unstable rubes like this riding the it:
YouTube - ATL Hoodrat aka SOULJA GIRL goes crazy on the Marta!

In contrast, DC's metro bypassed many of the worst parts of DC when it was completed, but the Green Line was eventually completed, which did go through some less-than-desirable parts of town, however, the Metro station openings were an asset to those neighborhoods.

Well if you are ever in town, I'll ride the MARTA with you,lol. Although, technically, public transportation dosn't do well for me here since I'm an hour outside of ATL!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
WOW, no offense but you have some thin skin or something. I know the the types of people you're talking about and I've never thought they were that bad nor have I ever felt unsafe there. You'd probably be surprised that some people aren't exactly how you think they are.

Thin skin? Sorry, if you want to run around looking like a gang banger, I'm going to respond. I don't care if you "think" I have thin skin for that. I'm not going to ask this person over for dinner to find their "inner beauty".

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Quote:
Thin skin? Sorry, if you want to run around looking like a gang banger, I'm going to respond. I don't care if you "think" I have thin skin for that. I'm not going to ask this person over for dinner to find their "inner beauty".
I guess you've never heard the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover". Whatever I shouldn't be surprised, that's some typical east county mentality anyways.........

Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I guess you've never heard the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover". Whatever I shouldn't be surprised, that's some typical east county mentality anyways.........
Oh, I've been served! Well see ya, takin my kids to the pool, by foot, not on public transportation

By the way, where are you originally from SAV that makes you so "worldly"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or