U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 PM

167 posts, read 412,125 times

Advertisements

Just returned from the AAU 11yr olds National basketball tournament where my daughter participated with her team from Arizona. I noticed alot of good teams from the midwest particulary from Indiana and Missouri. (The Iowa girls team won). Our team was clearly outclassed in part due to the lack of talent or interest here in Arizona. We are in a position to move as I have a fixed income and can live anywhere as long as the cost of living is reasonable. I am looking for an area where people live and breathe girls basketball thus allowing my daughter to learn and compete at a much higher level than she is now. Good schools would also be important and foremost in my search. She is a very talented player and is by far the best player on her team. I just want the best for her and if it means moving to get it I will. We have Branson/ Springfield Mo. in mind but if anyone else has any ideas of where the opportunities are that my daughter may suceed in basketball as well as in school (she gets all A's) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by crunchtime; 07-09-2008 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: Add bold lettering to Title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 01:10 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,047,258 times
Don't tell me you're seriously planning on moving just for good basketball teams?

I mean, that seems sort of silly...

Especially as being the best player in state without a lot of talent would probably get her significantly more attention than being an average player in a good state.

(That said, maybe Atlanta? I don't know.)

Old 07-09-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Don't tell me you're seriously planning on moving just for good basketball teams?

I mean, that seems sort of silly...
Appreciate your reply. Lets see. Its silly to want the best for your family? Look, I am on disability. The high cost of living here in Phoenix is eating my pension check up each month. My wife and I hate this place. We love basketball. People here have no interest at all in local sports. The high school here may attract 30 fans for a girls basketball game if they are lucky. My daughter has the ability and drive to get a scholarship for basketball after High School. I can't afford college for her. Add it all up. Willing to do anything for her. Moving to a smaller town that appreciates local sports, has good schools and is cheaper to live in makes all the sense in the world to us.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:24 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,637,203 times
Here's something I found on ESPN:
ESPN - ESPN High Elite 25 Girls High Basketball Rankings

Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
Appreciate your reply. Lets see. Its silly to want the best for your family? Look, I am on disability. The high cost of living here in Phoenix is eating my pension check up each month. My wife and I hate this place. We love basketball. People here have no interest at all in local sports. The high school here may attract 30 fans for a girls basketball game if they are lucky. My daughter has the ability and drive to get a scholarship for basketball after High School. I can't afford college for her. Add it all up. Willing to do anything for her. Moving to a smaller town that appreciates local sports, has good schools and is cheaper to live in makes all the sense in the world to us.
Well, seeing as you didn't mention any of this in your initial post, no one had any way of knowing.

That said, I still did make a legit suggestion. Try the Atlanta burbs. Basketball is huge there.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
I've seen these rankings before. My guess is a majority of these schools listed are private and can recruit players from anywhere. I know the team from San Francisco has been playing together since they were kids and makes for an interesting story as I read about them before.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Well, seeing as you didn't mention any of this in your initial post, no one had any way of knowing.

That said, I still did make a legit suggestion. Try the Atlanta burbs. Basketball is huge there.
No hard feelings radraja. Will check Atlanta out. Appreciate it.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 PM

Haha. I just wasn't sure if you were like my neighbors, who are slightly crazy. They're the type of parents who are overly-involved in their kids lives, to the point where they would pick up and move every year or so, so they could be zoned for whichever school had the most promising softball team that year.

But your move seems to be more reasonable.

High school sports also seem to be big in TX, which may be another good option (if you've ever seen the TV show Friday Night Lights, that should give some idea).

Old 07-09-2008, 02:13 PM

11,871 posts, read 32,899,856 times
The Women's Basketball Hall of Fame is here in Knoxville, Tennessee. The University of Tennessee Lady Volunteers have won more national championships than any other college program. Over 20,000 fans routinely attend Lady Vols basketball games. Women's basketball is HUGE here, and it extends to the high school level.

The cost of living in Knoxville is very reasonable, the public schools here are good, and Tennessee has very low state and local taxes.

http://www.knoxvillemarathon.com/Upload/images/knoxville-mntns.jpg (broken link)

http://www.atlcc.net/images/knoxville.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Haha. I just wasn't sure if you were like my neighbors, who are slightly crazy. They're the type of parents who are overly-involved in their kids lives, to the point where they would pick up and move every year or so, so they could be zoned for whichever school had the most promising softball team that year.

But your move seems to be more reasonable.

High school sports also seem to be big in TX, which may be another good option (if you've ever seen the TV show Friday Night Lights, that should give some idea).
I heard alot about Texas also. And they always seem to dominate the top 20 high school survey along with Florida done by US News and World report Magazine every year. Have to understand that a scholarship to college does mean alot to a parent who may have a talented child playing in sports. I think about 1 in every 100 kids playing sports in high school ends up with one so the desire to give your child the best opportunity that they can get is real. Sometimes this desire gets out of hand. I am sure you have heard about parents driving 100 miles or so to practices and spending all of their savings to ensure that their child gets a shot for a spot on the Olympic team. The chances of that not happening are very high but they still do it. Parents can be strange bunch. I've seen it all living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or