U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 PM

32,345 posts, read 55,148,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Only SoCal has summer year round. And if you really feel the need to be on the beach, the East Coast has far better winter weather in Florida than anywhere on the West Coast, and FAR better beaches too.
I definitely prefer the weather in SoCal anytime of the year to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 12:25 PM

210 posts, read 1,063,532 times
What I don't like is how people think the west coast is hot all year long, the only part of it that is like that is southern california

Old 07-10-2008, 12:32 PM

15,462 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
What I don't like is how people think the west coast is hot all year long, the only part of it that is like that is southern california
Even then it's not even that "hot" most places. The coast is mild most of the year, not that warm or hot. Inland areas are warmer during the day than the coast but colder at night. The Deserts, while warm during the day in winter, are cold as hell at night as much of Southern CA is.

Southern Fl and parts of Southern TX are much warmer than Southern Ca overall.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 PM

167 posts, read 457,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
i envy the west having summer almost every day of the year

while we are bundled up i wonder what id be like to be at the beach or eating outdoors
I gotta dispel the myth for you, though, because I see your profile saying "LA LA Land soon enough," that we do get really cold days in LA during January-February. I realize that's relative, because the 50s-60s is nothing for someone from the Bronx. But when you've been spoiled for the rest of the year with warm weather, your body does feel it. People will wear coats/jackets, or at the least, sweaters during the nights in these months.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Don't get me wrong here, I love White Castles little gut bombs as much as the next person.

And have to agree, the best Mexican food is NOT found at the big chains, but the little mom & pop shops around. Even better if you grew up like I did with a best friend whose parents were born in Mexico and Mama still makes food the old fashioned way she grew up with. I still like going to their place and talking, over still warm tortillas and NOBODY can match her Tamales. This fall will mark 40 years of eating, laughing, and enjoyment at their home.
That sounds really nice. The place that my uncle/aunt go to is actually of their gardeners', who set up a small Mexican market with an attached tiny restaurant. The food tastes very authentic. So some of the best Mexican I've had... not in the West in California or Texas, but in Philly of all places.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:46 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I definitely prefer the weather in SoCal anytime of the year to Florida.
Winter in Florida is not anything like summer there. Its far drier, a lot sunnier (if thats possible), and unlike CA, its warmer and so is the water. Do yourself a HUGE favor and head to Miami Beach in January, then go to San Diego.... youll be begging to be back in that Florida heat, its really nice. Now, summer in FL? Fuhgettaboudit!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
When you are talking about the west, are you talking about strictly California? There are plenty of other states in the west coast area, but I mainly see people only discussing southern California, whereas when the east coast is mentioned it goes from Florida to New York and all the way up to Maine.
I would consider West coast, but maybe for Eastcoasters, "West" means mostly California, and LA/South California at that.

I was actually going to echo Grindin's post about the greenness of the East, but then I remember how much of that I got visiting Washington and Oregon.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 9,581 times
I agree with Vegaspilgrim, there is really nothing to envy about the east. After moving to the west coast for college, I never wanted to return East. True, it does have more history, but thats about it. Rude, arrogant, New Yorkers are about the worst type of people in the world, and I find it impossible to stomach the domineering and self-centered attitudes of the whole population of the northeast. The west, in contrast, has higher culture, nicer people, better weather, all in a much more beautiful setting.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:33 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,686,021 times
Lived in the East Coast all my life, did a semester in the West (Bay Area) but I transferred back to the East.

I like the West more. Better weather year-round (maybe not "hot" all the time but hey, their winters ARE milder and their summers aren't as horrifyingly humid), more outwardly friendly people, it's beautiful everywhere. A lot more laid-back too. People aren't so career-first (not saying they don't work hard, they don't let it lead their lives). It seems like everywhere besides the East Coast, people would gladly pull you out of the way of an oncoming train, whereas in the East Coast, people would only do it if they thought you might help them career-wise -_-

Old 03-04-2010, 10:30 AM

5,858 posts, read 14,046,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBensteel View Post
I agree with Vegaspilgrim, there is really nothing to envy about the east. After moving to the west coast for college, I never wanted to return East. True, it does have more history, but thats about it. Rude, arrogant, New Yorkers are about the worst type of people in the world, and I find it impossible to stomach the domineering and self-centered attitudes of the whole population of the northeast. The west, in contrast, has higher culture, nicer people, better weather, all in a much more beautiful setting.
So if you are originally from the East, how did you not wind up being "rude and arrogant" and all those other nasty traits you mention? Are your siblings and parents that way? Personally, I think you are stereotyping Easterners to the max and I don't understand how someone who grew up there could do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or