U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,669,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
So if you are originally from the East, how did you not wind up being "rude and arrogant" and all those other nasty traits you mention? Are your siblings and parents that way? Personally, I think you are stereotyping Easterners to the max and I don't understand how someone who grew up there could do that.
thank you.

anyway, my answers are palm trees and warm weather for most of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,496,414 times
I grew up in California, so there's a lot of things I admire and envy, but I do find overall I enjoy life better in the East. I mostly miss palm trees, the more dramatic mountains, and the mixing in of Mexican culture. But none of that beats the gritty urban environment, fast/powerful pace, a rocky Atlantic seashore, or a fresh lobster.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:04 PM

648 posts, read 1,420,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
i envy the west having summer almost every day of the year

while we are bundled up i wonder what id be like to be at the beach or eating outdoors
Miami is on the East Coast.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I could care less about the east coast, let alone "envy" them. I would be perfectly happy if I lived my entire life without ever eating again N.Y. pizza, bagels, and "sliders" (whatever the heck that is). What is there to "envy"?
You are disrespecting East Coast food and yet you are from Reno. What is that?

The East Coast has cheese steaks, chicken wings, pizza, clam chowder, and lobster as their best known food. The West Coast has organics with some Puget Sound fish sprinkled on the menu. That is boring.

What is there to envy? You being from Reno, or Las Vegas, or whatever, maybe reality is what you need a dose of.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 AM

11,777 posts, read 8,342,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Lived in the East Coast all my life, did a semester in the West (Bay Area) but I transferred back to the East.

I like the West more. Better weather year-round (maybe not "hot" all the time but hey, their winters ARE milder and their summers aren't as horrifyingly humid), more outwardly friendly people, it's beautiful everywhere. A lot more laid-back too. People aren't so career-first (not saying they don't work hard, they don't let it lead their lives). It seems like everywhere besides the East Coast, people would gladly pull you out of the way of an oncoming train, whereas in the East Coast, people would only do it if they thought you might help them career-wise -_-
New Yorkers will talk to absolutely anyone, anytime, about anything. You may not want to hear what they have to say, but hear it you will. You also should read these:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/nyregion/03life.html

Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
New Yorkers will talk to absolutely anyone, anytime, about anything. You may not want to hear what they have to say, but hear it you will. You also should read these:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/nyregion/03life.html
Yes, I was saying something similar in a post I deleted earlier. The nicest most down to Earth people I have ever met in my life are blue collar New Yorkers; construction workers, firefighters. Accent can be intimidating for out of staters. Most of my employees are tough looking guys... big, have heavy New York accents, and they look like they are not going to take any crap from anybody... we get to talking and they are funny and they are the nicest guys.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:47 AM

11,777 posts, read 8,342,221 times
^I'm a Boston guy who does environmental consulting for NYSDEC in Nassau County and to me the locals are as cool as the other side of the pillow. Very chatty and very funny.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:53 AM

924 posts, read 1,392,657 times
I live in neither the East nor the West, but the Midwest. Am I allowed to answer this question?

I've only lived out East for a short time in my life, but I have been there plenty of times visiting family and traveling. I can honestly say that there's little there that would convince me to envy it once I move out West. Sure, it has the history as others have said, and people will tout about the nature that it provides (Niagara Falls, etc.) when trying to match it up against the West, but really, that's just East coasters trying to defend their side in all aspects. I think they should accentuate the positives of their side (cities, nightlife, history, etc.) rather than trying to beat the West in natural beauty, as it's pretty obvious the West has the East beat.

Now that I'm done with that rambling, half-coherent statement, I can say that the West just has more to offer all around in my opinion. It's got cities, mountains, beaches, oceans, islands, forests, deserts, nightlife (maybe not as good as the East, but respectable), weather, and a more laid back attitude. The only thing I could think of missing out East when I move West is proximity to family and how that will affect how often I get to visit them. Other then that, it's no comparison for me.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I live in neither the East nor the West, but the Midwest. Am I allowed to answer this question?

I've only lived out East for a short time in my life, but I have been there plenty of times visiting family and traveling. I can honestly say that there's little there that would convince me to envy it once I move out West. Sure, it has the history as others have said, and people will tout about the nature that it provides (Niagara Falls, etc.) when trying to match it up against the West, but really, that's just East coasters trying to defend their side in all aspects. I think they should accentuate the positives of their side (cities, nightlife, history, etc.) rather than trying to beat the West in natural beauty, as it's pretty obvious the West has the East beat.

Now that I'm done with that rambling, half-coherent statement, I can say that the West just has more to offer all around in my opinion. It's got cities, mountains, beaches, oceans, islands, forests, deserts, nightlife (maybe not as good as the East, but respectable), weather, and a more laid back attitude. The only thing I could think of missing out East when I move West is proximity to family and how that will affect how often I get to visit them. Other then that, it's no comparison for me.
Nobody on the East Coast claims that it has better natural beauty than the West. But we know for a fact that we do have surprising natural beauty here.

http://bobgrantphotography.com/images/F-30MT~1.JPG (broken link)

http://www.miami-hotels-fl.us/miami_photos/miami_Beach_florida_resort.jpg (broken link)

http://www.dreamciti.com/photo/maine/thunder_hole_acadia_national_park_1.JPG (broken link)

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 03-06-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM

15,569 posts, read 17,819,214 times
People have different tastes. As a westerner with eastern roots, I will say that most people in the west who have strong anti-East opinions either don't have much experience with the East (except for that one trip to NYC where they smelled urine on the subway and a cab driver was rude to them) or a serious inferiority complex.

If you don't like it, good for you, but I can hear the whine through my computer screen. Tone it down.

I think the west is beautiful albeit way too dry and brown for my tastes excepting the PNW and Cali coast, but nothing will ever beat the East's temperate deciduous forests cladding steep, dark ravines cut with rocky waterfalls, moss-grown stone walls from fields so long fallow that deep forest has grown up on both sides, ruins of tiny stone churches hidden in the woods and the windswept coast of endless sandbars and rocky coves.

This was my stomping grounds within an hour's drive of NYC:

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or