Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 PM

58 posts, read 204,678 times

Advertisements

G'day everyone, I'm new to this forum.
Currently On holidays in Barcelona, Spain, but i live in the infamous Australia.

I was talking to my parents about moving to study and hopefully work in the United States today, there supporting me to go and move on with life.

Next year i will be in the 10th grade, As soon as i arrive back to Australia i plan on going to apply for a student visa to study in the United States.

To the point;
I know no one in the U.S nor do i know much about it, But all of you people live there and live the U.S life. If i go, i have no where to go or know where to go.

I need to know one of the median city's, something not too big and not too small. Good enough for a Teenage boy like me to go to school safely, with good jobs [I'm Good in PC's and General IT], alright climate and a median lifestyle e.g eating out once every 2 weeks etc.

Thanks alot, HH61
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
My first thought was Austin, TX and with the University of Texas there, it might provide some further educational opportunties. But really there is a lot of cities for you, any more specifics on what you might be looking for in a city?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 PM

167 posts, read 492,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH61 View Post
I need to know one of the median city's, something not too big and not too small. Good enough for a Teenage boy like me to go to school safely, with good jobs [I'm Good in PC's and General IT], alright climate and a median lifestyle e.g eating out once every 2 weeks etc.

Thanks alot, HH61

Hey, there. Aussie living in the U.S. here. With the PC and IT skills, you can pretty much go anywhere. If you want to be in one of the hubs, you can't go wrong with San Jose/Silicon Valley, California. San Jose State University is right there. It's about 45-60 minutes south of San Francisco, so you can do a lot of cool things in the city, not too far away.

The only thing is that SJ is rather expensive to live in, as is San Francisco, so you might want to look at places in between them to live in.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:30 PM

I know, But for an average job do you get a good enough income to eat drink pay bills and sleep well?
[in San Francisco or SJ]

Last edited by HH61; 07-09-2008 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Lexington, KY
- 17th safest US city out of 100 largest
- 10th best educated city in US (percent w/ a bachelor's degree= 40%)
- vibrant downtown for a city of 276,000
- home to University of Kentucky
- surrounded by beautiful horse farms
http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/7376046/untitled.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
Hey man, I'm 15 as well.

Anyways, I recommend Alpharetta, GA. It has pretty good schools, and there's lots of things to do, the Georgia State Mall is only about 15 minutes away. People are not racist here so you don't have to worry about that, it's only about 35 minutes to Dwntwn ATL. The climate is OK, it has mild winters with 1 or 2 snowfalls a year, generally about 5-10 degrees cooler at night in winter than Atlanta. And you're also pretty close to the mountains.

Good Luck

Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Oh and I love soccer.

Thanks for all the help, Hopefully people can still help me pick from city's.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH61 View Post
Oh and I love soccer.

Thanks for all the help, Hopefully people can still help me pick from city's.
Yea, every single school has soccer in North GA

Good Luck

Old 07-09-2008, 08:35 PM

139 posts, read 450,876 times
I second Austin and the University of Texas - it has one of the largest international student populations (along with one the largest student populations, in general) and is in a great, vibrant city with an economy built on the IT industry.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,279,857 times
I reccomend Omaha, although there may be a city that fits your desires better, Omaha is a good sampler platter of America. We are a medium/large city in the heart of the nation with a thriving arts scene, and are renowned for our friendly citizens who are overjoyed to see out-of-towners. I would steer clear of any really large city or really tiny town because people in large numbers or tiny groups tend to harbor an aire of exclusivity(not always, but occationally). Omaha and other cities of our size especially in the midwest are likely to be more friendly to strangers. I feel Omaha, Des Mones potentially Witchita would best represent all facets of American culture. A city just large enough to represent our urban culture, but with enough influences to represent our rural culture as well.

If you're also looking for just a plain good place to live, none of these cities fail you either. It just depends on the number of people you want surrounding you. If you want a MEGA city, then none of these places will suit you. You want a cowtown, again you'd be looking in the wrong place. But if you want a progressive medium or large sized city, I'd give Omaha a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.