U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wal-Mart or Target?
Target 90 67.67%
Wal-Mart 25 18.80%
Neither, I hate corporate America! 18 13.53%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 01:18 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,439,584 times

Advertisements

Target.

At least when I leave Target I dont feel like I have to take a sanitizing bath. Wal-Marts are disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 01:31 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,899,724 times
I worked on a public job where I ended up with court appointed volunteers when they got into trouble. One lady had to do 30 hours of community service because she had accidently taken a 17 cent spool of thread from Walmart. I am scared to shop there after hearing her story. It makes me nervous just to go in the store.

She had a child in her cart. She tried to get her husband to keep the child with him in the car while she picked up a couple of things. She bought more than $40 worth of merchandise, but the child kept getting hold of the spool of thread, so she lay it down on her handbag to keep it away from him. He was trying to put it in his mouth. In the confusion of checking out the thread somehow dropped down into the handbag. She was arrested for shoplifting, prosecuted and had to come work for me. She was the best volunteer I ever had. The only joy of this situation is that her husband had to keep the child while she did the community service. He got what he deserved.

When I ended up with shoplifters, I had to watch them pretty good. I never felt that anything was in danger with this person. I felt so bad for her having to go through this experience. I stopped shopping in Walmart for years and have only recently gone back a couple of times.

We will soon have a Target at Wesley Chapel, which is only five miles from my home. I am so looking forward to the end of July when it opens. I will probably be waiting outside when that happens.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:35 PM

12,448 posts, read 31,544,117 times
Target prices are higher than Walmarts! And they both deal with China!

Old 07-12-2008, 03:36 PM

343 posts, read 846,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Sorry, but I think your wrong. My town has 2 WalMart's and no Mpm N Pop stores have closed due to WalMart being in town. The C o C in there investigation found that the Mom N Pops were floundering before WM showed up and had poor business plans.
My argument was not that Wal-Mart causes all 'Mom and Pop' shops in the vicinity to go under. But certainly competition from a company as large as Wal-Mart is difficult for smaller businesses to contend with. Do you perhaps think that looking just at your town is a convenient and non-random sample of the process.

Still, my point was that Wal-Mart must take at least SOME responsibility for the closure of local businesses that can't compete. Do you disagree? If so, argue against this, not the former point.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:49 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,754,949 times
I think it's Wal-Mart's fault. Wal-Mart could have a whole lot more decency in it's business practices. For example, instead of building monstrous buildings out on the edge of small towns, like they always do, why didn't they build, move into, or remodel existing buildings in the commercial areas (downtowns, obviously) that were already there? That way, they could do their business without pulling all the shoppers away from areas where small businesses were already in place. Instead, they promote even more nationwide retailers to move in next to their stores, in shopping centers that mom & pop's simply can't afford the leases on.
And of course, there's the acres upon acres of former Wal-Mart buildings, left behind by expansion, that blight many communities that don't know what to do with them.
Just scratching the surface of what bothers me about Wal-Mart.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,865 times
Default Wal-mart, let me tell you why

If you would have asked me this question last year, it would have been Target, without question. I didn't even shop at Walmart in the past for many reasons (quality of products, that dirty feeling, business practices) and loved, loved, loved, Target.

Things changed about 7 months ago. Last year I was pregnant with twins and registered for my baby shower at Target. Target was the only place I registered, so most of the guests at my two showers bought gifts from there. I estimate that my family and friends spent $1 - 2k on gifts for me and the babies at Target.

Unfortunately I went into pre-term labor and my boys were born at 27 weeks old. One of my sons had health problems and ended up passing away after 10 days. My husband and I were devastated.

Fast forward a month or so, and my husband and I take a trip to Target to return some of the items that we would no longer be needing (extra bouncy chair, high chair, baby papasan chair, etc). We had to return these items without a receipt, because 1) some people didn't attach a gift receipt and they should have or 2) people did not know we would have to be returning half of everything we got.

Well, long story somewhat short, the service desk says no to the returns because you guessed it, there was no receipt. After explaining the situation, they still could not get the approval from the corporate office and said no again. By this point I was crying, this was hard enough as is and Target was putting us through un-needed crap. It didn't matter that my registry SHOWED that the gifts were bought there or that they had Target tracking stickers on them and were unopened. They couldn't go off of the registry because as of August 1st 2007, they changed their policy on that to apparently screw over more customers.

I went home and cried, then fumed. I could not believe how we were treated. I called the 800 cust. service line and after 2 hours going through the customer service transfer loop, I spoke with a supervisor who agreed to send out gift cards for the amount of the items and apologized. While I appreciate the apology, what we went through is unacceptable.

So stinky/dirty, bad business policy, cheap Wal-Mart it is. Oh well, I'm sure they'll appreciate the $400 or so that I throwdown every month for misc. groceries, baby items and other household items. Target sure didn't. But in this economy, who needs a loyal customer who likes to spend money, right Target?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:40 PM

11 posts, read 31,409 times
Target! It's cleaner and has better quality merchandise than Wal- Mart.
Wal-Mart use to promote Made in USA but as soon as Sam Walton died that went straight out the window.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:50 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,051,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanCubfan View Post
If you would have asked me this question last year, it would have been Target, without question. I didn't even shop at Walmart in the past for many reasons (quality of products, that dirty feeling, business practices) and loved, loved, loved, Target.

Things changed about 7 months ago. Last year I was pregnant with twins and registered for my baby shower at Target. Target was the only place I registered, so most of the guests at my two showers bought gifts from there. I estimate that my family and friends spent $1 - 2k on gifts for me and the babies at Target.

Unfortunately I went into pre-term labor and my boys were born at 27 weeks old. One of my sons had health problems and ended up passing away after 10 days. My husband and I were devastated.

Fast forward a month or so, and my husband and I take a trip to Target to return some of the items that we would no longer be needing (extra bouncy chair, high chair, baby papasan chair, etc). We had to return these items without a receipt, because 1) some people didn't attach a gift receipt and they should have or 2) people did not know we would have to be returning half of everything we got.

Well, long story somewhat short, the service desk says no to the returns because you guessed it, there was no receipt. After explaining the situation, they still could not get the approval from the corporate office and said no again. By this point I was crying, this was hard enough as is and Target was putting us through un-needed crap. It didn't matter that my registry SHOWED that the gifts were bought there or that they had Target tracking stickers on them and were unopened. They couldn't go off of the registry because as of August 1st 2007, they changed their policy on that to apparently screw over more customers.

I went home and cried, then fumed. I could not believe how we were treated. I called the 800 cust. service line and after 2 hours going through the customer service transfer loop, I spoke with a supervisor who agreed to send out gift cards for the amount of the items and apologized. While I appreciate the apology, what we went through is unacceptable.

So stinky/dirty, bad business policy, cheap Wal-Mart it is. Oh well, I'm sure they'll appreciate the $400 or so that I throwdown every month for misc. groceries, baby items and other household items. Target sure didn't. But in this economy, who needs a loyal customer who likes to spend money, right Target?
Target policy was recently reverted to included gift registry logs as returnable reciepts.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:04 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,344,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
Target policy was recently reverted to included gift registry logs as returnable reciepts.
That's good to hear. Sorry you had to go through that, ShanCub.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 AM

18,589 posts, read 19,564,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
My argument was not that Wal-Mart causes all 'Mom and Pop' shops in the vicinity to go under. But certainly competition from a company as large as Wal-Mart is difficult for smaller businesses to contend with. Do you perhaps think that looking just at your town is a convenient and non-random sample of the process.

Still, my point was that Wal-Mart must take at least SOME responsibility for the closure of local businesses that can't compete. Do you disagree? If so, argue against this, not the former point.
I understand what your saying, I just don't completely agree. The rants against WalMart are the same ones heard when KMart, Sears and JC Penny came to town yet the business climate is still pretty good not just in my town but in the entire region. Sometimes it's the area and the people that live there.

I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else on this subject as it is just a waste of time and bandwidth. If you search just CD for WalMart you will notice the battle has been going on for a long time. The debate is never ending and futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.