U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 AM

18 posts, read 51,481 times

Advertisements

...because I apparently cannot read. This is where this post should be, mea culpa.

I'm a 33 year old woman who is, to be blunt, effing bored. My friends have all moved away or were never close in proximity in the first place. Many are in partnerships or married, and not exactly folks I can move in with, nor do many of them live somewhere I want to move to. All but a couple are more than 200 miles away. I have a job, but it's not what I want to be doing, and what I want to be doing allows me to travel AND is a fantastic job---so you see my dilemma in having to put it on hold for a bit.

Anyway, I live in a small town in northern New England, and while it's gorgeous, I'm so bored I want to cry on a daily basis. While I keep active and busy and outside, it gets pretty boring doing it alone. I'm ready for a change. A new life, fresh start, clean slate kind of thing.

The roadblocks are as follows:
--the fam. Well, the parents, as they're the only fam I have, but we're really close. I don't want to be so far from them I can't get home in a day--they are on the VT/NH border.
--the pets. My dog and cat are both elderly. Still kickin', for sure, but definitely into the two digits on age. I've owned them almost their entire lives, and love them more than most people I know. I also don't want to move THEM too far from the parents, as they adore them AND take care of them when I travel for work or for anything else for that matter. When I lived out West, it was a lonnnnnnnng year without built-in petsitters, let me tell you. Also, the pet-friendly apartment war is so, so painfully tiring.
--the money. My madre is, as well as I am, concerned about the economy being so much a mess. I don't have a huge amount in savings, but unlike the last move when I went West, I don't have too much debt either. And I mean too much by MY standards. Although I guess I am well below the American citizen standard! Still, it's awfully scary to think about. That said, I do NOT need a M-F corporate gig. As long as I can pay the bills, swinging coffee would be fine (I know, it won't pay the bills, but you get what I mean)---and less permanent is actually better for the way my other job goes.
--Small issue. I, erm, don't know where I want to go. Yeah, I know. I've moved many times before, lived in the southeast twice, midwest twice, west coast, east coast...but this time I'm older and more (ew) aware of the need to stay somewhat close to the family.

I would love:
*A smaller city (40-75k) with a vibrant downtown
*As close to the coast as possible. The ocean is my therapist. If not on the coast, large lakes will do.
*Easy walking/biking
*The possibility that a 33 year old moving into town knowing no one might be able to wrangle herself up a social life.
*Within 2-ish hours of a major airport would be optimal.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Burlington, VT is too expensive to do alone, and I've lived there, so I'd like to try elsewhere. Rent should be no more than (I hope) $800 for a one bedroom, but that's pushing it.

Portland, ME? Providence, RI? Argh!

got the urge for going,
Mollie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM

10,736 posts, read 31,792,495 times
Mollie, I love your choice of words "The ocean is my therapist". I feel the same way. I am never more happy then when I can be near the ocean, smelling it, hearing the sound of the waves on the sea and picking up little treasures it leaves behind.

I don't know where you should move, I just wanted to wish you good luck.

Have you thought about Cape Cod or some of the Islands there, like The Vineyard?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 AM

29,910 posts, read 8,618,255 times
I think Portland is just right for you, right next to the ocean, lots of outdoor activties, not that expensive, not as cold in winter as places in northern New England, and the population is 64,249

good luck

Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 AM

18 posts, read 51,481 times
Thanks Lindsay and dxiweodwo! The Cape is just a little too "can't get there from here" for me, and MV is obviously much the same.

I have to admit Portland has been on my mind a lot. I was once upon a time considering it for a move as well, it just never manifested. I ended up in Burlington, and I LOVE Burlington...but it is simply almost impossible to find a well maintained reasonably priced one bedroom. It's simply appalling, really. And I'm loathe to re-visit the living with a flatmate I don't know thing.

I may even take my chances (and hopefully one of the few friends I do have around here) and hop in the car---head to Portland for the weekend. I need to really immerse myself to know, I think.

Any other suggestions? I do wish I could be more open to where I land, but I fear that ship has sailed...but hey, I was on it several more times than most people ever get to experience!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,161,688 times
I agree with Portland, or maybe Portsmouth (which might be a little too small though). Providence is much larger than the range you stated. It's the heart of a metro of 1.7 million. It's a very nice city though.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 AM

29,910 posts, read 8,618,255 times
^^
I was about to say Portsmouth, NH as well but the pop is only 20, 784, and she was asking for 40k-75k.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,145 posts, read 3,432,558 times
Like to suggest the shoreline towns of Connecticut just east of New Haven, such as Branford or Guilford.

-Ocean - you'll see it everyday
-small towns of 20k, but 15 mins from a city of 120k with a major college and reasonable nightlife, 90 min - 2 hr train ride to NYC if you ever feel the urge to see a big city
-straight shot up 91 to western Mass and eastern VT/western NH to see mom and dad
-much, I mean much, cheaper than the NY suburb towns of Westport and Darien, just 35 miles to the west, lifestyle east of New Haven is far more small-town New England than to the west of the city

Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 PM

4,102 posts, read 7,366,005 times
Portland, Maine; Asheville, NC

Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 PM

32,376 posts, read 55,173,351 times
I think its beautiful how you want to be near your parents. What a wonderful daughter you are. Some kids just grow up, move on and dont give their parents a second thought. I mean, dont get me wrong, spreading ones wings is a good thing, its how we become our best selves. But let's not forget those you taught us how to fly.

I came back home to the Bay Area after nearly a decade of moving around the world when I realized that my parents needed me. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:03 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,254,045 times
Sounds like Portland would be a perfect fit for your needs.

Ocean therapy is the absolute best, isn't it? This is my 3rd Summer away from Maine and "my" beloved coastline. I thought living near Lake Michigan would be a suitable substitute...not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.