U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you respect los angeles
yes: i respect los angeles 35 45.45%
no: i don't give a **** about L.A. 33 42.86%
Or: I think it has munch potenial before it earns my respect 9 11.69%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2008, 06:13 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,573,169 times
Reputation: 2829

Advertisements

because of the Galaxy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2008, 06:35 PM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 10,394,274 times
Reputation: 4228
I tihnk its a very unique city. A great addition to this country. It dances to its own tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 06:40 PM
 
2,502 posts, read 8,050,128 times
Reputation: 885
I respect every US city.

That said, aside from traffic and high costs of living, LA is actually a really nice place. Great homes, great beaches, great food, lots of sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Where you wish you lived, LA
304 posts, read 829,034 times
Reputation: 136
jealousy


they hate the fact we live in a summer atmosphere all year

they hate that every time they turn on their tv they see our city and have to hear the way we talk

they hate the fact that alot of people just live life and flaunt money instead of being boring


they hate the fact our girls are hotter, and that hot girl you wish you had in your wack city probably wishes she could live in our city


they hate our diversity....they hate that we are different and isolated from most of the country in terms of culture

they cant imagine such a dominant force since L.A runs the west coast and the east/south/midwest all have a bunch of cities clumped together


theyve never been here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
 
2,502 posts, read 8,050,128 times
Reputation: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
jealousy


they hate the fact we live in a summer atmosphere all year

they hate that every time they turn on their tv they see our city and have to hear the way we talk

they hate the fact that alot of people just live life and flaunt money instead of being boring


they hate the fact our girls are hotter, and that hot girl you wish you had in your wack city probably wishes she could live in our city


they hate our diversity....they hate that we are different and isolated from most of the country in terms of culture

they cant imagine such a dominant force since L.A runs the west coast and the east/south/midwest all have a bunch of cities clumped together


theyve never been here
You know that you're provoking people, right?

I'm not too bothered by it, because I enjoy hearing the diverse opinions of others (even if I disagree).

But I can guarantee that somone on here is going to get angry. Just a heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 391,092 times
Reputation: 41
I love me some Los Angeles.

A great city, though I do enjoy San Francisco maybe a little better (transit and scenery), but it's probably a tie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,956 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
jealousy
Jealous of what? Los Angeles is a dumpy craphole.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
they hate the fact we live in a summer atmosphere all year
I'm sorry, but I hate living in hot weather all year round. I much prefer the weather in San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
they hate that every time they turn on their tv they see our city and have to hear the way we talk
Huh? Quite contrary, every time I turn on "Hollywood" (TV and movies) all I see is NYC (even if it really isn't NYC and just an "NY street" back lot) I guess NYC is "in" and Hollywood is "out", right? How sad. Why is that? Could it be that nobody gives a crap about LA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
they hate the fact that alot of people just live life and flaunt money instead of being boring
Flaunt money? To me, there is nothing wrong with flaunting money. What annoys me is how Los Angelenos flaunt fake money while floating on credit cards all while digging themselves into debt to pay for their auto leases and their Hollywood'esque "rich and important" facade, when in reality they're mostly poor and live in ****ty apartments. If you weren't aware, Los Angeles metro average/median income is shockingly low, (much below San Fransisco/NYC/Chicago/DC/Houston) so I don't know where all posing comes from.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
they hate the fact our girls are hotter, and that hot girl you wish you had in your wack city probably wishes she could live in our city
How nonsensical (and ironically, very Los Angeles of you). I'm not even going to waste my brain cells responding to this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
they hate our diversity....they hate that we are different and isolated from most of the country in terms of culture
If you call a city that's 60%(?) Mexican "diverse", then you can have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
they cant imagine such a dominant force since L.A runs the west coast and the east/south/midwest all have a bunch of cities clumped together
I'm not going to deny it. Economy wise, LA is a dominating force with but it's a dump. The jewel of the West Coast is San Francisco.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
theyve never been here
I've been there too many times and my lungs still hurt. What a nasty place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 08:50 PM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 10,394,274 times
Reputation: 4228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
jealousy


they hate the fact we live in a summer atmosphere all year

they hate that every time they turn on their tv they see our city and have to hear the way we talk

they hate the fact that alot of people just live life and flaunt money instead of being boring


they hate the fact our girls are hotter, and that hot girl you wish you had in your wack city probably wishes she could live in our city


they hate our diversity....they hate that we are different and isolated from most of the country in terms of culture

they cant imagine such a dominant force since L.A runs the west coast and the east/south/midwest all have a bunch of cities clumped together


theyve never been here
Partially joking...they hate LA because of that attitude.

I like LA however, but I'm not naive enought to believe that LA is the best city for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,720,963 times
Reputation: 5347
Actually, I can't think of a single thing that you absolutely, postively can only find in Los Angeles and nowhere else:

Great weather, beaches, mountains and scenery-- San Diego absolutely trumps L.A. in all of these departments. I just went down to San Diego last weekend; it's not even a comparsion; the physical landscape on which San Diego sits is so much nicer than pretty much anything in the LA basin or valleys. Only when you get south enough to Laguna beach or northwest enough to Malibu are the beaches/mountains a comparison to what San Diego offers.

Ethnic diversity, great food-- This is definitely a card that LA has up its sleeve. But then again, so does New York City. While LA's sheer level of diversity is hard to match, many cities in the middle of the country are actually surprisingly diverse, too. Houston, TX, for one. Immigrants are no longer going only to LA and NYC to live in; increasingly they are spreading out into cities all over the country. I hear a false impression often on this forum that it's either live in LA or live in a 100% white city with no diversity; it just simply isn't like that. Even in Denver and Phoenix (the two cities I've lived, not that these two cities are anything special in this regard) you can find representational samples (some bigger, some smaller) of just about any nationality in the world.

The stereotypical LA style of having well defined areas of ethnic enclaves (Koreatown, Chinatown, Little Armenia, Little Ethiopia, etc) can be found in minature version in tons of other cities, often visible in old strip malls in inner-suburban areas. HUGE, growing, and diverse Latin American populations can be found in dozens of cities all over the country. And just having diversity is one thing; having different ethnic groups well integrated across society is a whole different thing altogether. I don't really see any evidence that different ethnic groups in LA mix and mesh together all that smoothly face to face with one another. What I see are a whole of "---towns" and "Little -----'s." I'd also be curious to know just how much of the familiarity people have with other cultures extends beyond the level of food. I've been to several Japanese markets here in LA, and have had some pretty good udon noodle soup-- but does that mean I know anything about the Japanese culture?

One other thing, LA does have a LOT of good food, but it's not like every restaurant in this city is spectacular. It's really just like everywhere else; masses of places that range from absolute crap to mediocre, and some real gems that stand out above the rest. I still cannot, for the life of me, figure out why Yoshinoya is so popular here; I tried it once and it was the worst crap fast food I've ever had. It's like you took Arby's roast beef (except that Arby's beef is superior) and threw it on top of rice. I've also had some great Japanese fast food, but the number of people who eat at Yoshinoya is just astounding.

Nightlife, glitz, and glamor-- Las Vegas, not Los Angeles is the country's premier destination for living up the high life. LA has several entertainment districts, but no one cool street in LA can compare to the Las Vegas strip. Even off-the-strip Las Vegas includes some pretty spectacular places.

Economy-- Greater Los Angeles, despite having over 17 million people in a five county area, is actually underpowered, given the city's immense city. Greater NYC has only a few million more people and it is exponentially more important of a global business center than LA. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and San Francisco/ San Jose have almost as many fortune 500 companies as LA, despite having millions less people.

Access to the back country-- California is an absolutely spectacular state to explore. The problem is, it takes almost two hours of driving just to get out of the greater LA sprawl before you get into the wide open desert, and the most spectacular mountains in California with *good* skiing are a good 6 hour drive away. Other than access to beaches, LA has nothing over cities in the Mountain West and Desert Southwest when it comes to diversity of exotic terrain to explore within a few hours' drive of the city.

Modern arts and culture, fashion, trends and style-- Perhaps this is what makes LA truly unique. LA is definitely a trend setter, rather than a trend follower. But so what? Some of the things that are so popular here I just can't see the point-- like Pinkberry. And all these "frozen yogurt" places everywhere, like frozen yogurt is some exotic 21st century invention. And a million different kinds of "[insert adjective here] bars" (juice bars, oxygen bars, tea bars, wine bars, coffee bars... basically everything except the meaning of "bar.") Okay, I'll give L.A. the winner in this department. I still fail to see though how life was any worse before the invention of the Pinkberry. Maybe keeping up with the latest fads makes people feel good about themselves?

What else am I forgetting that can only be found in LA and nowhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2008, 08:32 AM
 
149 posts, read 154,860 times
Reputation: 37
I don't really like LA.

There's nothing special about it. It's just another city to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top