U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you respect los angeles
yes: i respect los angeles 35 45.45%
no: i don't give a **** about L.A. 33 42.86%
Or: I think it has munch potenial before it earns my respect 9 11.69%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,215,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjames05 View Post
los angeles has had a continuous increasing population since its incorporation over 120 years ago, unlike some other major cities in the U.S. even with all the smog, gang activities, endless traffic, celebrities, etc., people still move here. doesn't that say something?
Yep. It says "Hollywood". Before y'all jump on me, NO this isn't a diss to L.A., but a big reason why people move to L.A. is because it's one of the main cities in this country you can make it big. There are alot of good jobs there, too, but no other city has Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 05:02 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,235,657 times
L.A. is the youngest city out of the big three so it beginning to get ore buildings and better public transportation. But Seriously Chicago and new York are the best cities in Americia. L.A. Skyline looks like ****. But L.A. has more to offer than Chicago like the Beaches,Mountains,Entertainment, Universal Studios, Etc. And If we were comparing L.A. Suburbs Vs Chicago Suburbs We all know This Answer.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:44 PM

48,331 posts, read 45,615,702 times
Sure, Los Angeles did look good back in the 1950's and 1960's. Warm weather, beaches, palm trees, "the good life". So many people wanted it and went to LA in droves. LA became very overcrowded. The images of LA as palm trees, good looking women, swimming pools, and easy life. All of these seemed archetypal. Well, this is what happened. In the 1990's LA began to show it's age and it's problems. The crack epidemic, high crime rates, pollution(in the air and on some beaches) police issues, race riots, earthquakes, floods, wildfires, and high cost of living. LA's image was somewhat soiled. Many people started to lose respect for LA. Now people are headed for places like Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte,etc. Some people feel like beaches, sunny weather, and palm trees aren't worth the cons of LA. Now I see commercials trying to promote California(Arnold Schwarzenegger and Vanessa Williams are in them). LA looked very good in the 1980's. The 1984 Olympics, 1981 World Series(and 1988). Many things were going on. Then the 1990's showed LA from it's dark side. I am seeing somewhat of a similar pattern with Atlanta. Atlanta looked very good during the 1990s. The Braves won the 1995 World Series, Atlanta hosted the 1996 Olympics, And metro Atlanta was experiencing rapid growth. Atlanta was seemingly a world class city. It was also touted as the "Black Mecca" of America. Well, Atlanta is still comparatively cheap compared to most cities, relatively no so crowded, but crime and pollution are big problems in Atlanta. Now Atlanta's image is slowly starting to unravel. A water crisis, courthouse shooting, and now a gas crisis in Atlanta, well, things aren't looking that nice in Atlanta. Atlanta has managed to stay under the radar, until now. I think Atlanta will look bad for SOME of the same reasons LA started to look bad.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,235,657 times
It's simple It's a City that America can Survive without.LA Is Not Important to the U.S.,It's a City that people Love To Hate.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 AM

795 posts, read 2,190,049 times
Honestly, I'd rather live in Cleveland than L.A. At least I will know the people are real there.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 AM

735 posts, read 1,450,200 times
I love LA. I also hate LA. I was not born out here but grew up in the LA suburbs. After the military, I was on the east coast and couldn't wait to get back to the land of wonderful weather, diverse culture and a place where you can find almost anything you want, almost any time, day or night.

After 20 more years, I still love all of those things, but I am ready to hit the road and maybe go back East. There are way too many people out here now. You can't go anywhere at any time now without the odds of hitting traffic, and the drivers are so inconsiderate. I wonder how many of them are native Californians and how many are from the other 49 states who have transplanted like my parents did.

When I leave, I will miss the weather, the culture, being able to find great quality authentic ethnic food of any kind, the beaches, the mountains, the forest, and close to the deserts, the canyons, the redwoods. There is so much here. More, I think than any other single location, but the crowd is pushing me out. I'm getting too old for this.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,688,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
I love LA. I also hate LA. I was not born out here but grew up in the LA suburbs. After the military, I was on the east coast and couldn't wait to get back to the land of wonderful weather, diverse culture and a place where you can find almost anything you want, almost any time, day or night.

After 20 more years, I still love all of those things, but I am ready to hit the road and maybe go back East. There are way too many people out here now. You can't go anywhere at any time now without the odds of hitting traffic, and the drivers are so inconsiderate. I wonder how many of them are native Californians and how many are from the other 49 states who have transplanted like my parents did.

When I leave, I will miss the weather, the culture, being able to find great quality authentic ethnic food of any kind, the beaches, the mountains, the forest, and close to the deserts, the canyons, the redwoods. There is so much here. More, I think than any other single location, but the crowd is pushing me out. I'm getting too old for this.
I dont think culture, quality authentic ethnic food of any kind, beaches, mountains, and forest are hard to find on the east coast depending where on the east coast. Youll find these things on the Big North East. The beaches may not be the same and the forest may not be the same but youll should be able to feel no difference.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:53 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,597,719 times
I respect LA but not for it's stereotypes. I respect it for the many facts about it that are little known (even by most of it's residents) and buck the stereotypes.

Myth: LA is and always has been dominated by the Movie industry.

Fact: LA was one of the first cities Henry Ford had Model Ts built in back before the 20's and until recent decades was the biggest auto producing city in America outside Detroit.
LA also was the home to many airplane pioneers as far back as before WWI. And during WWII LA produced more bombers, fighter planes, and transport planes used to win the war than any other city. It's aircraft industry was humongous until the 1970's.

LA also has thriving Oil, clothing, fashion, banking, and shipping industries and has for a very long time. (longer than it's had the Movie industry).

Myth: LA is a sprawling low density city.

Fact: LA is a sprawling higher than average density city. At 8,000 per square mile that's more density than many big Mid Western and East Coast cities.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 AM

22,249 posts, read 23,760,468 times
LA was blessed a lot of things--good government and planning were not amongst them. It's pretty much why I left the place.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:43 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,638,729 times
Back in the 60s and 70s LA and the whole of southern California was seen as some type of promised land. It was glamorized constantly in the media. I think it was pretty nice then, but that was a long time ago. Now all I think of is heavy duty traffic congestion, crime, high population density, illegal immigration and an out of control cost of living with high taxes and excessive regulation.

However, I do like the freeway system, but it needs to be expanded to accomodate the increases in population. I was in the bay area in 2006 and and southern California about 5 years ago. Back in the late 70s when I first visited southern California, I really liked Orange county and the Anaheim area.

But I could never live in California. Too many negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.