U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 PM

28 posts, read 77,902 times

Advertisements

My retired cousin and his wife will be relocating to one of the following areas:

Columbia, SC
Harrisburg, PA
Nashville (northern suburbs), TN
Richmond (probably suburbs), VA

If you've been to or lived in most of these, which one(s) do you prefer? Which one do you think would be the best place to live?
Any views you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ElliottW; 07-10-2008 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,028,637 times
I thought Richmond was a very appealing city.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:36 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,631,825 times
Richmond sounds like it's the best. It has hot, humid summers, but nothing compared to Columbia, SC. And has about 9-14 inches of snow a year. I think Nashville is pretty cool also....

Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,415,679 times
I grew up near Nashville and now live in Chicago. Nashville is a very cool city that marches to its own beat. It has great entertainment, some great restaurants, cool neighborhoods, a nice weather.

I've traveled quite a bit and Nashville holds its own with cities much larger than it.

I can speak of the other cities but I don't think you can go wrong with Nashville...plus your close to Chicago (7 hours), Atlanta (3 hours), Birmingham, Memphis (2 1/2 hours), Louisville (3 hours).

Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 PM

11,907 posts, read 32,978,930 times
Those are all nice cities.

Tennessee has the lowest state and local tax burden of those states you have listed.

Nashville is a great city. Interesting you want its northern suburbs. Any particular reason? Hendersonville is on the northern edge of Nashville and is a nice suburb (as far as suburbs go) of about 50,000 people. It's right smack on a big huge lake but is only 20 minutes from downtown Nashville. Hendersonville is next to Nashville's RiverGate shopping mall district.

Nashville is also a hub for Southwest Airlines, so flying all over the country is relatively less expensive and more convenient out of Nashville compared to those other cities you mentioned.

I think Columbia SC is also a nice place. It's a bit more hot and humid than Nashville.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,058,050 times
I would pick Nashville. It seems like the most interesting. And very affordable.

Richmond is cool too, but more expensive.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:10 PM

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:56 PM

From my own experiences the comments about the heat and humidity in SC are correct. SC has a rich history and culture, but it may be one of the the hottest places I've ever been, and that's saying a lot. However, heat doesn't bother my cousin (who's considering moving there), and the Columbia area is apparently quite affordable.

@ JMT:

"Nashville is a great city. Interesting you want its northern suburbs. Any particular reason?"

They visited the Nashville area a few months ago and their favorite areas were Franklin/Williamson County (which they found somewhat expensive) and Gallatin/Sumner County. Most likely they'd move to the Gallatin area. They liked the entire Nashville area, though, and they're also considering the Hermitage area (which I know nothing about).

Any other comments are appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or