U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:09 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
New York City is the "Gotham" of which you speak.
Its filmed in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 05:12 PM

187 posts, read 477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
New York City is the "Gotham" of which you speak.
LOL! The filmmakers of the last two movies seem to disagree! I wish I could translate the Jokers laugh to print. How about HA HA HA HA! That's the best I can do.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 PM

15,466 posts, read 25,409,755 times
NYC has always been referred to as "Gotham City", the two recent Batman movies don't change that b/c a lot of people don't even realize it's Chicago. Probably filmed there b/c it's cheaper and easier than NYC.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Tell them it's usually not wise to judge a place from a TV series. They select a few footage's which may not be representative of the city.
I would like to think so. However, there was a column in the Sun-Times a few days ago wondering if Chi was returning to the moniker "Beirut by the Lake"(although it turns out that moniker had nothing to do with the murder rate), due to our murder rate(which is up 13% in the last 6 months, but way down compared to historical numbers). There seems to be a O.K Corral rep. especially in the U.S.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
NYC has always been referred to as "Gotham City", the two recent Batman movies don't change that b/c a lot of people don't even realize it's Chicago. Probably filmed there b/c it's cheaper and easier than NYC.
Perhaps, although a lot of movies, including the Spidermans, film here(parts of) because of the downtown L among high-rises. Also, lower wacker drive which is why they film the batmans here(batcave location). So they say.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
The perception of Chi seems to be that it's much grittier than NYC, how can this be possible? Is it true?
And exactly who are these people of which you speak? I've never met anyone with that perception.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
And exactly who are these people of which you speak? I've never met anyone with that perception.
Go stand in Millennium Park and ask foreign tourists. Maybe it's just my experience when talking to foreigners.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:52 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,134,668 times
Let's put an end to these BS Chicago vs. New York threads.

Both cities rule. Okay???? Settled.

Back to the topic, I have never heard the term grittier be described when comparing New York to Chicago. I usually only hear the words "smaller" and "colder".

If you're thinking of gritty the way I'm thinking of it, both cities seem equally gritty to me.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post

Back to the topic, I have never heard the term grittier be described when comparing New York to Chicago. I usually only hear the words "smaller" and "colder".

If you're thinking of gritty the way I'm thinking of it, both cities seem equally gritty to me.
Why does everyone act like NYC/CHI comparisons is like the East Coast/West Coast gang wars. LOL. It's not that big a deal.

I'm not sure what gritty means either. But hold on tight to your purse and don't go out at night alone, I guess.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:15 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,762,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post

agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.