U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race are you?
White 120 57.69%
Black or African American 35 16.83%
Hispanic or Latino 18 8.65%
Asian 10 4.81%
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander 2 0.96%
Some other races or Two or more races 23 11.06%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 AM

517 posts, read 1,155,500 times

Advertisements

Mexican, Portguese, Hawaiian.

Dad is Mexican
Mom is Portuguese and Hawaiian.

I find it confusing when I am asked what race I am. I am Hispanic but however I am Portguese too which falls in line with more European/White but then I have the Hawaiian mix up in there too....gives me a headache thinking about it. In high school during testing I just found it easier to answer Hispanic when asked. Most of the time no one has a clue what race I am, my last name suggests I am Mexican but if you didn't know it you would probably have a hard time guessing.

My boyfriend likes to call me a Pork n Bean lol =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 AM

152 posts, read 170,753 times
Iam Kurd so Caucasian (white)

Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
My boyfriend likes to call me a Pork n Bean lol =)
haha that's pretty funny.

Does Irish count as white? If so, that's what I am. Plus a little Dutch I guess.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:51 AM

11,290 posts, read 7,875,247 times
I hope its realized that when one sais Asian it means from Turkey east on to Japan. That would include the middle east!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,275,927 times
Super Saiyan

Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 AM

388 posts, read 1,437,723 times
White.

Czech / Austrian descent.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,467,083 times
I am a Soul Brotha...

and where's the option for Native American?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:31 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,829,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Spanish people from Iberia are white. The are also Hispanic people in south - and Central America of entirely Spanish descent. Americans are sometimes somewhat confused because of the term Hispanic.
I think it is confusing to many Americans and that depends on the physical characteristics of what they are used to. When most people think hispanic they seem to automatically think Mexican or "mestizo" which is really a combo of native Indian people of Mexico & Central America and/or white Spaniards.

I am a hispanic but we can be of any race and the term hispanic is really used to define people who are of Spanish speaking descent. I'm of Cuban descent but unless I said something I would be considered just white. My grandfather & older brother have blue eyes and blond hair yet people can't believe he is hispanic and that he speaks Spanish.
Even the cultures between hispanics are vastly different. If I rememeber correctly I think it was the US Census Bureau who pushed the term hispanic onto the national pysche.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:04 PM

985 posts, read 3,261,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I think it is confusing to many Americans and that depends on the physical characteristics of what they are used to. When most people think hispanic they seem to automatically think Mexican or "mestizo" which is really a combo of native Indian people of Mexico & Central America and/or white Spaniards.

I am a hispanic but we can be of any race and the term hispanic is really used to define people who are of Spanish speaking descent. I'm of Cuban descent but unless I said something I would be considered just white. My grandfather & older brother have blue eyes and blond hair yet people can't believe he is hispanic and that he speaks Spanish.
Even the cultures between hispanics are vastly different. If I rememeber correctly I think it was the US Census Bureau who pushed the term hispanic onto the national pysche.
What Americans call "race" is actually a grouping containing a mix of ethnicities, physical characteristics, cultures.

Each "race" is diverse in itself.

There are enough Blacks who have strong European physical characteristics, and people from Ethiopia, Namibia, Madagascar, Burkina Faso, and a dozen of other countries look vastly different from each other. Not to mention the different cultures, languages, ethnicities.

The same goes for Asian. One just needs to go to three countries: China, India, and Indonesia to see how diverse Asians are.

As for Whites, there are large differences in physical appearance, cultures, languages, etc. between people in Iceland, Macedonia, Estonia, Jordan, Morocco, etc.

So Latino is not the only one-size-fits-all classification as many would like to believe.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:40 AM

32,342 posts, read 55,131,075 times
I'm the only Native Hawaiian/ Pacific Islander...LOL

Actually I'm Tongan and Irish(Actually Irish who migrated to the UK) but much more Tongan than Irish as both my parents are from Tonga-my dad happens to be half Irish. So as a result I have a lighter skin than most Polynesians, green eyes and a little red in my hair.*smiles*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.