U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:05 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,069,456 times

Advertisements

Wow look at the usual culprits and benefactors of globalization. Most of the time a lot of those cities are competing for the best sellout title. The wealth shifts around, cities jockey with each other and effectively gang up on poor cities. Imperialist cities keep their foot on all of the others and use them as farm cities. Yea call me bitter about it. So what. We should have never had a country that turns its back on its own cities and lets them rot away. The cities that are experiencing the most predominant growth, not completely linked to their climate, are the obviously most clueless cities because this is the age of selling out the nation. So take it to the bank while you can. More backbone jobs will be lost every single year than created. What was done to Ohio, awaits ever single one of your states. Hope you're ready to fight over crumbs. You all got fifty years tops. Book it.

Last edited by the_pines; 07-29-2008 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,759,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
That's ridiculous. There's no reason to prefer In-State sources. Simply because an organization exists within california, does not mean the demographic methods are better. In fact, the demography practiced at the US census bureau is more respected by academic demographers.
I can't comment on this particular instance, but the Census Bureau's methods of estimating urban populations across America are quite flawed. This is why cities like San Francisco and Saint Louis challenge new estimates, and have the proof to back it. This isn't a private firm, these are the city and county governments in and near major cities.

County Challenges Initial Census Figures - New York Times

Press Release - New York City Department of City Planning

St. Louis: Census Bureau's numbers don't add up - AOL News

Arlington Disputes 2005 Census Bureau Population Estimate for County : Newsroom : Arlington, Virginia
(two years running in Arlington, oops)

U.S. Mayor Article | 2010 Census Workshop Focuses on Equipping Mayors to Challenge Low Census Estimates (July 14, 2008)

I'll use the example of my hometown. The 1990 census put Minneapolis at 368,000. Subsequent estimates came in lower every year for the next eight years. They ultimately estimated Mpls. at 360,000 in 1998. Curious, though, how when the next actual census is taken the numbers for the City come in at over 382,000. According to the Census Bureau, 22,000 people suddenly moved to Minneapolis between 1998 and 2000! Now the Census Bureau is doing it again. According to their numbers, my city has dipped back below 380,000 since 2000. (For the record the MetCouncil, a state-run body whose sole purpose is to study and respond to the needs of the Mpls. metropolitan region, estimates the City to have over 400,000 people) Excuse me if I think the Census Bureau is wrong, again.

http://censtats.census.gov/data/MN/1602743000.pdf

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/cped...population.pdf
(page 2)

While these obvious and numberous errors may change the estimates that everyday people like to analyze for fun, telling a city that it is declining (when it is actually growing) hurts public perception of a place and costs municipalities billions of dollars a year in aid. Unfortunately, people give the Census Bureau undeserved credibility. People put trust in an organization that cannot perform its duties because it is backed by the Federal government or is endorsed by 4 out of 5 "academic demographers" (I wonder where a majority of "academic demographers" work, by the way.) It is blind faith and it obfuscates the truth.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,179,496 times
Comments on Houston:

- Unlike someone said, Houston has not been hit hard by the housing crisis. Not sure where that came from. The housing market is actually quite good in comparison to much of the rest of the country because the local economy is doing so well right now

- Also unlike someone said, the recent population gains are not from Katrina evacuees. That happened in 2005, and many of them have already gone back or relocated elsewhere

Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 PM

980 posts, read 2,909,538 times
Hey did the population in Chicago go up!!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM

4,909 posts, read 12,529,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

And honestly I think the Census likes to screw CA. They split the Bay Area up into two metro regions as well as the LA/OC/Inland Empire/Ventura metro area into several metro regions to for god knows what reason.
Get a grip chief.

The census bureau didnt split the Bay Area metro up.Rather The Bay Area decided in order to play with the big boys it needed a self appointed ficticious title. Wahla and we will call this sprawling disjointed 100 mile long domain"The Bay Area"

I mean give me a break. Metro Philaldephia has counties 15 miles away from Center City Philadlephia that dont get counted in its metro, excuse me for not shedding a tear that the census bureau isnt playing along with your game.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:26 PM

866 posts, read 3,826,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Get a grip chief.

The census bureau didnt split the Bay Area metro up.Rather The Bay Area decided in order to play with the big boys it needed a self appointed ficticious title. Wahla and we will call this sprawling disjointed 100 mile long domain"The Bay Area"

I mean give me a break. Metro Philaldephia has counties 15 miles away from Center City Philadlephia that dont get counted in its metro, excuse me for not shedding a tear that the census bureau isnt playing along with your game.
Can't the census bureau just make a metro area as big as they want to. In Metropolitan Detroit there are three counties that they consider "the metro area" ( Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb) funny because this was the same metro area in Detroit in 1970. The area has grown a lot in 38 years, while the center city of Detroit has shrank in that time period. When metro Detroiters say "Metro Detroit" they mean Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Livingston, Washtenaw, and St. Clair counties. My main point is that the census bureau can make a "metro area" as big or as small as they want to.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:40 PM

980 posts, read 2,909,538 times
You know something i noticed is that LA's population is falling from that of the 2006 estimate.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:46 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,846,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
Can't the census bureau just make a metro area as big as they want to. In Metropolitan Detroit there are three counties that they consider "the metro area" ( Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb) funny because this was the same metro area in Detroit in 1970. The area has grown a lot in 38 years, while the center city of Detroit has shrank in that time period. When metro Detroiters say "Metro Detroit" they mean Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Livingston, Washtenaw, and St. Clair counties. My main point is that the census bureau can make a "metro area" as big or as small as they want to.
They could, but in order to have meaningful comparisons they apply a certain definition to "metropolitan area." This definition is based on commuting patterns and the level of cultural and economic exchange. Just because people informally refer to places as such and such metro area doesn't mean that it meets the census bureau definition.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 PM

134 posts, read 113,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
You know something i noticed is that LA's population is falling from that of the 2006 estimate.

You ever notice people from Chicago are obsessed with Los Angeles, and people from Houston are obsessed with Chicago? Then you have people from New York and Los Angeles who both don't really seem to care...

Old 08-01-2008, 09:57 PM

30,222 posts, read 67,365,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingthecow View Post
You ever notice people from Chicago are obsessed with Los Angeles, and people from Houston are obsessed with Chicago? Then you have people from New York and Los Angeles who both don't really seem to care...
I'm obsessed with Scranton. Do they have a pill to cure that yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or