U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 AM

101 posts, read 348,460 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.. I need a little help as I am driving my husband nuts. We were planning on moving next March. At first we wanted to move to NC, then MIL didn't want to move there and talked us into GA, Then we changed our minds about that and was looking at Dallas, Then I changed my mind about that started looking back to NC, then to TN, and VA and back to NC. Im driving my husband bonkers. I need help with a city place that would fit for what we are looking for.

1. Affordability like $160k and below. Want a house with a garage and a yard. We could possibly swing more if it had a mother in law suite. Want to live comfortable on a combined income of $60k
2. Jobs. Im a property manager for a HOA. But have also been a PM for a rental community. I also can do admin work very easily but the pay has to be right. Husband I believe is going to telecommute with his current job so that is not an issue.
3. schools - have a 14 month old son and need a place with decent schools.
4. family friendly.
5. low crime
6. weather - my husband says he won't go further north then NC and TX was just to far west for him. We are looking for something that does not have harsh winters but has change of seasons. The summers anywhere is better then S. FL so that doesn't matter.

Am I asking for too much? Does such a place exist? Every week its something different. Our big problem is with MIL we like NC but she won't move there due to an ex husband which I think is just totally stupid. Anyway any help you can give I would appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,258,336 times
NC seems to fit your criteria. Not sure why your MIL is dictating where you move to???

Old 07-11-2008, 10:26 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,566,223 times
BacktoNE that is a very good question.

I'd pick NC just cuz my MIL won't move there.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,657,904 times
I agree that NC sounds like it might be a good move for you. You guys seem to keep coming back to it as an option. Plus, it will somewhat appease your MiL because NC is a close, neighboring state to Georgia (closer than TX and VA, which you also seem to be considering).

Old 07-11-2008, 10:37 AM

101 posts, read 348,460 times
Family is very important to me. I don't think it would be such a big deal if I didn't have my son. I want the grandparents to play a very big role in his life. But trying to make everyone happy is proving to be impossible. Thanks everyone for the responses. I think we need to stick to our orginal choice, but was just wondering if there was anywhere else that fit our description.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:49 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,566,223 times
Have you looked into Chattanooga Tn? It's a lovely city and in a great location.
They have done a lot of rebuilding in the downtown area. It sits right in the middle of Nashville and Atlanta. Birmingham isn't all that far either. It might be a good solution for all.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:59 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,258,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearns View Post
Family is very important to me. I don't think it would be such a big deal if I didn't have my son. I want the grandparents to play a very big role in his life. But trying to make everyone happy is proving to be impossible. Thanks everyone for the responses. I think we need to stick to our orginal choice, but was just wondering if there was anywhere else that fit our description.

So MIL won't be living with you, it's just a matter of her visiting? If NC meets most, if not all of your criteria, and it certainly seems to, then move there for the good of your DH, yourself and your son. MIL will either get over it, or not. If she refuses to deal with NC because her ex-husband lives there, that is her issue not yours. Don't mean to sound harsh, but seriously, you cannot give up your dream location because of one personal issue with your MIL.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,629,650 times
TN, sounds like it's good for you, how about someplace like Crossville? very nice place

good luck!!

Old 07-11-2008, 03:26 PM

9,896 posts, read 21,176,302 times
Tennessee has the 5th highest crime rate out of the 50 states.

North Carolina has major overcrowding problems in their schools.

Kentucky would seem to be a great fit for you, as it is the 6th SAFEST state, and has a good economy with a more moderate growth rate. KY's house prices are ALREADY rebounding while the nation as a whole continues in a downward spiral.

pictures of KY

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/Picture_1280.jpg (broken link)

You might look in Oldham or Shelby County outside of Louisville, or Woodford, Scott, and Jessamine Co outside of Lexington.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,629,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Tennessee has the 5th highest crime rate out of the 50 states.

North Carolina has major overcrowding problems in their schools.

Kentucky would seem to be a great fit for you, as it is the 6th SAFEST state, and has a good economy with a more moderate growth rate. KY's house prices are ALREADY rebounding while the nation as a whole continues in a downward spiral.

pictures of KY

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/Picture_1280.jpg (broken link)

You might look in Oldham or Shelby County outside of Louisville, or Woodford, Scott, and Jessamine Co outside of Lexington.
I agree but her husband, is not willing to go further north than NC. But Kentucky is very nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.