Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Poor and black doesn't equal ghetto.
The Mississippi Delta region is extremely crime-ridden, and one of the poorest parts of the country.
White, black... doesn't matter. Nobody has money there. Glad I escaped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 12:28 AM

45 posts, read 196,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
The Mississippi Delta region is extremely crime-ridden, and one of the poorest parts of the country.
White, black... doesn't matter. Nobody has money there. Glad I escaped.
Uh, you're right about it being poor. But trust me, there are people with money. And lots of it. Old Southern money.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
sw louisiana small towns, speaking the language is not the issue.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Pine Ridge, and a few other Indian reservations, I think would come about the closest to being a literal rural ghetto. It has the poverty and the social problems. It's also a tiny bit like the original meaning of ghetto ie a place where you segregate or wall-off an unwanted minority.

Otherwise Walterboro, South Carolina seems to be a medium-smallish town in a pretty rural county. It has both plenty of crime and poverty.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Walter...-Carolina.html

Perry, Florida seems to be the only town in its county. It's population is 6,804 with plenty of crime and above average poverty.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Perry-Florida.html

Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,583 times
I know I'm stepping into this way after the fact but I have to comment. Rural Ghetto's are out there. My friends and I call them dumptowns because they are the places suburbia dumps it's ****. Often literally. These are the places where medical waste, toxic waste and **** that no one wants in their backyard ends up. I grew up thirty minutes from Times Square but I went to college in Ohio. I met my wife there and she was appalachian ghetto. Her hometown is on the Ohio river just above Steubenville and it's the real thing. This place has problems beyond the fact that the towns biggest employer is a toxic waste incinerator. They have crack, crystal meth, oxycontin, babies in four-day old diapers playing in the streets, thirty year old grandmothers, hookers, truck stop hookers, thugs, security cages in gas stations, guns everywhere, a ridiculous murder to population ratio, an even higher suicide rate and generational poverty. My wife even has the ghetto mindset "everything you got you had to fight for so give nothing back and don't let anyone get the better of you." You better believe there are rural ghetto's because you can get off of the highway at the wrong spot in the middle of the night and find yourself in a bad way. If you don't believe me just take 7 north out of Marietta. Your nose will know when your in the right place.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:56 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Appalachia and the mississippi delta region contain 80% of the poverty in the USA. They also only get 20% of federal assissatnce for poverty because of politics. That said they probably don't get much because they don't tend to riot as much as urban american. Really a shame in a country like ours.
Also because they vote for people who don't believe in helping the poor. When was the last time you saw a progressive in office in those places?

Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Much of Western Mississippi is represented by Bennie Thompson, a founding member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus. West Virginia's 3rd district is represented by a social conservative, Nick Rahall, but he apparently supported elements of health care reform. Both of West Virginia's Senators are Democrats.

Not that I'm progressive or think that poor people should vote as such.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
I grew up on a dead end county road. At the bottom of the hill there is a small village with a trailer park where my cousin got murdered about 15 years ago. Definitely ain't a place to be messin around. This was in SE Missouri.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,104 times
As far as rural ghettos the western upper peninsula is in the running for all time records. As a matter of fact the entire U.P. is pushing double digit unemployment rates for 4 solid years. You can't blame that on the auto industry. The crime rates are soaring to horrifying rates. Now a Canadian mining company has moved in to the area and are pulling guns on the locals. Healthcare facilities are refusing patients. Condemned buildings and thwarted businesses are being placed in tax auction. The states answer to all this tragedy is Medicaid.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Also because they vote for people who don't believe in helping the poor. When was the last time you saw a progressive in office in those places?

It's not because they "don't tend to riot". There are no riots in city poverty pockets any longer. Just apathy and drugs.

Same as with rural pockets of poverty.

The main difference is that the country folks tend to vote for the party of large corporations and big business - the Republicans. The only part of the platform that matters to them is the part about being anti abortion. Oh and pro gun.

They don't realize that they are voting against their own self interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.