U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 PM

18,633 posts, read 23,219,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadistheCaptain View Post
I know I'm stepping into this way after the fact but I have to comment. Rural Ghetto's are out there. My friends and I call them dumptowns because they are the places suburbia dumps it's ****. Often literally. These are the places where medical waste, toxic waste and **** that no one wants in their backyard ends up. I grew up thirty minutes from Times Square but I went to college in Ohio. I met my wife there and she was appalachian ghetto. Her hometown is on the Ohio river just above Steubenville and it's the real thing. This place has problems beyond the fact that the towns biggest employer is a toxic waste incinerator. They have crack, crystal meth, oxycontin, babies in four-day old diapers playing in the streets, thirty year old grandmothers, hookers, truck stop hookers, thugs, security cages in gas stations, guns everywhere, a ridiculous murder to population ratio, an even higher suicide rate and generational poverty. My wife even has the ghetto mindset "everything you got you had to fight for so give nothing back and don't let anyone get the better of you." You better believe there are rural ghetto's because you can get off of the highway at the wrong spot in the middle of the night and find yourself in a bad way. If you don't believe me just take 7 north out of Marietta. Your nose will know when your in the right place.

I live in North East Ohio. If I drive away from my middle class suburb into a town that is not anchored by a college and is rural - I will and have found the same thing.

Dilapidated trailer parks and run down houses greet you as you drive in. The area is dotted by an enormous amount of fundamentalist churches that all have the same look - a stubby aluminum steeple set on top of an undistinguished squat building or modular church.

These churches preach Hell Fire and brimstone while pushing the Republican agenda.

Teen mothers are everywhere as is Oxycontin and morbid obesity. Make no mistake about it these people are white.

Not putting down Ohio. You can find the same thing in rural NY State - both up state NY and Eastern Long Island in a place called Mastic Beach. "Google Mastic Beach NY and you'll see what I mean.

Rural Pennsylvania is notorious for areas like that.

It's sad but these people are all so suspicious of outsiders and brainwashed by their churches that I do not see any help in the near future.

The inner city poor are far more likely to go to community college. In part because you don't need a vehicle in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 12:03 AM

296 posts, read 537,986 times
Some parts of Polk County, FL. Good Times.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 AM

2,958 posts, read 3,816,032 times
The rural parts of California are pretty ghetto. High crime and drug abuse.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:40 AM

389 posts, read 355,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadistheCaptain View Post
I know I'm stepping into this way after the fact but I have to comment. Rural Ghetto's are out there. My friends and I call them dumptowns because they are the places suburbia dumps it's ****. Often literally. These are the places where medical waste, toxic waste and **** that no one wants in their backyard ends up. I grew up thirty minutes from Times Square but I went to college in Ohio. I met my wife there and she was appalachian ghetto. Her hometown is on the Ohio river just above Steubenville and it's the real thing. This place has problems beyond the fact that the towns biggest employer is a toxic waste incinerator. They have crack, crystal meth, oxycontin, babies in four-day old diapers playing in the streets, thirty year old grandmothers, hookers, truck stop hookers, thugs, security cages in gas stations, guns everywhere, a ridiculous murder to population ratio, an even higher suicide rate and generational poverty. My wife even has the ghetto mindset "everything you got you had to fight for so give nothing back and don't let anyone get the better of you." You better believe there are rural ghetto's because you can get off of the highway at the wrong spot in the middle of the night and find yourself in a bad way. If you don't believe me just take 7 north out of Marietta. Your nose will know when your in the right place.
Where exactly above Steuby are you talking about? I lived in the Steubenville area before, and as much as I hate that area, I can't completely agree with you on the picture you're painting, "the towns main employer is a toxic waste incinerator"? As far as I know, the area doesn't really have a main employer anymore, the main industry in that area used to be the steel industry, but the mills already closed by the time I lived there. "They have crack, crystal meth, oxycontin..." I only met one crack addict there, and I never met anybody on Crystal meth, PERIOD. There is a huge prescription pain medication problem there, people selling and buying it, but not oxycontin, more like Percasets and Vicadins . "Babies in four day old diapers playing in the streets"? Not that I ever saw. "Thirty old Grandmothers"? Never met one. Hookers? Yes. I have seen prostitutes working a certain street corner in downtown Steubenville at night. "truck stop hookers"? IDK if there's even any truck stops there, let alone truck stop hookers. Thugs? Not that I've ever seen, THANK GOD, but I did here that recently there's been an influx of gang members from NYC, Chicago and Detroit. "Security cages in gas stations"? Not that I've seen. " a ridiculous murder to population ratio"? Where'd you get your numbers on that? Is there actually a study that's been done on that? I mean, I guess I could believe it, what with the reported influx of gang members, and the fact I read somewhere on the internet before that Steubenville's nickname is crime capitol of the world, or is it crime capitol USA? One of the two, I forget which one. Honestly though, I find that hard to believe, cause like I said, I never saw any thugs, and I know some ppl there who think PGH is dangerous! A high suicide rate? That's a new one. Generational poverty? Except for a minority of ppl in that area who are middle class or wealthy everyone else is pretty much broke as a joke, yes, so am I though, and I live in PGH.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:06 AM

389 posts, read 355,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
60% White is extremely low compared to most rural Michigan towns. I'm guessing most are well into the 90's.
%60 white leaves a remaining %40 of the population who are black that means there are more white ppl who live there than black.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:26 AM

144 posts, read 145,112 times
Ford Heights, IL. Although, it's techincally a suburb of Chicago, the community has a very rural feel to it. The town resembles something you might find in rural Mississippi as oppose to suburban Chicago.

Another example would be Sauk Village, IL. It's basically a larger, "slightly better" Ford Heights.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:12 AM

7,812 posts, read 12,316,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
They don't get the money because they live in states that do relatively little for their poor, not because cities riot. Poor in downstate Illinois or upstate New York get about the same amount of government help as someone from Chicago or New York City -- there are fewer charities and private institution at play in rural areas, but the government helps the same.
I think its because urban states and urban area dominate Congress so they divert all the money to themselves. I live in West Virginia and the government takes our federal gas taxes and sends them to California and New York to build their fancy mass transit lines that get approved immediately while we are still trying to finish the Coalfields Expressway through rural southern WV which will help alleviate poverty in the region and attract more business. Also I think due to the Obama administration's partisan politics, Republican states in the south get less federal dollars. I think there is a also a racial bias where particularly it would behoove Obama to give more money to black communities vs poor white ones.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:34 AM

56,503 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think its because urban states and urban area dominate Congress so they divert all the money to themselves. I live in West Virginia and the government takes our federal gas taxes and sends them to California and New York to build their fancy mass transit lines that get approved immediately while we are still trying to finish the Coalfields Expressway through rural southern WV which will help alleviate poverty in the region and attract more business. Also I think due to the Obama administration's partisan politics, Republican states in the south get less federal dollars. I think there is a also a racial bias where particularly it would behoove Obama to give more money to black communities vs poor white ones.
This doesn't make sense, as CA and NY put in more than they get back.

Also, there are plenty of poor rural Black people in the South. So, this partisan thing that you mentioned also doesn't make sense.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:53 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,284,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
You certainly have some gall talking about people ripping off West VA when Robert Byrd has been bringing home fat slabs of pork for 40 yrs from rich liberal states. What's next, going to get mad at Hugh Hefner for not giving enough to his sugar babies?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
A member in the NYC forum mentioned that he was born and raised in Appalachia and that there were some pretty mean areas in parts of Appalachia where an outsider would feel very uncomfortable.

Can anyone recount a time they found themselves in the rural ghetto. How were they treated? How bad was it?
Chloride, AZ and Bacliff, TX are two places that immediately come to my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.