U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should names and locations of sex offenders be made public?
Yes. They are special menaces to society 20 51.28%
Yes, but only the ones that abuse young children or are convicted of violent rape. 13 33.33%
No, if they have served their time, they have served their debt to society. 4 10.26%
No, not unless murderers and other violent criminals are treated the same way. 5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,872,427 times

Advertisements

I wonder why sex offenders get listed but murders, aggravated batterers, and other felons get a pass. Somehow it seems to come back to a salacious morbid curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,872,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Me too but just the female ones.
Haha. eros.com!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:03 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,008,329 times
I'm good with them doing this, but probably not if their offense is just soliciting a prostitute or having sex with a 15-year-old girlfriend at 18. (I consider both very wrong, but different than rape or molestation) Sex crimes are particularly severe crimes.

Although I can see the logic in doing this with people who committed any assault. Going by the actual statistics assault actually has the highest recidivism rate of violent crimes. And sometimes what counts as "assault" causes permanent brain damage or disability. (I know this from family experience) Murder, oddly, has a somewhat low recidivism rate. Often/usually the person had someone in mind they wanted to kill and once they killed them they don't really have an urge to kill again. That's weird I admit, but it seems to be born out by the stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or