U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is California the best state?
Yes 41 42.27%
No 56 57.73%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:25 PM

22,405 posts, read 27,650,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
smog was still a very big issue for LA even back in the 50's, it's cleaner cars and environmental regulations that have helped give it cleaner air than in decades past. Some of the worst smog in LA occurred in the 1970's.
True. The air quality is much better now than in the '70s.

Quote:
Also prop 13 LOWERED taxes and property taxes were much higher before it was passed. You can blame part of CA's downfall on Prop 13, the worst public policy decision ever in CA
Well, prop 13 saved my parents from having to sell the house. The property tax would have almost doubled (and there was no reason for that to happen).
I remember they even had a "for sale" sign on the front lawn just before prop 13 passed. Fortunately, we never did have to sell the house thanks to prop 13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 PM

571 posts, read 926,958 times
No... that's why we are moving in a few months!

Old 07-13-2008, 06:07 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,937,713 times
California is coming to a state near you.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated !

Old 07-13-2008, 06:49 PM

5,233 posts, read 11,700,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
True. The air quality is much better now than in the '70s.
Yes, the air quality is one reason why my family left CA in the late '70s. Just kick me, please.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,720,543 times
No state is the best state, everyone has a different opinion so there is none.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:36 PM

415 posts, read 392,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYGA View Post
why did you do this now we stoop to TX level as in optimisic about there own state because another state had a natural disaster making everybody suposedly go to their state
What?

Old 07-13-2008, 11:46 PM

521 posts, read 1,493,777 times
Absolutely it is.
People always ask: If CA is so great, why do alot of people move out? Answer: Because California doesnt like excess fat. Not everyone can afford Utopia. So they move to states like Texas.
CA is constantly the leader in national trends, whether that be environmental policies, or fashion.
Best universities in the Country - CalTech, UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, USC, etc.
The economy of California is often cited for how it would compare to other countries if California were an independent nation. The statistic quoted varies widely, usually placing it between rank 6th and 10th, depending on the source
Hottest women
We've got the ocean, the mountains, valleys, the deserts, the rivers, the forrests.
The weather is the greatest in the country as well. If you like snow, go to the mountains. If you hate the snow, there are plenty of areas where winter is in the low 60's.
And to dispel everyone's biggest problem, that is overpopulation. There are a ton more areas other than San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County that you can live in, so pick a spot.
The California empire has already extended to Nevada and Arizona, so either ways, everyone will be living the California lifestyle soon.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 AM

538 posts, read 1,663,555 times
I think it really depends on what is important to you.

I do believe that CA offers the most diversity in one state. If you want heat go south, cold go north, but each has it's own vibe and culture, almost like two different states. There are many great things about California but there are most likely many people out there who love where they live and would probably say their state is best, it is all relative.
Right now because I am trying to raise a family I would say no, CA is not the best state, it is too expensive. When I was in college I would have said h*ll yes this is the best state, sunshine, snow, plenty to do.
Not sure what I will think in the future, or if I will even be living here. If I knew that I wouldn't be on this site trying to figure out whether to move.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 AM

415 posts, read 392,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Absolutely it is.
People always ask: If CA is so great, why do alot of people move out? Answer: Because California doesnt like excess fat. Not everyone can afford Utopia. So they move to states like Texas.
CA is constantly the leader in national trends, whether that be environmental policies, or fashion.
Best universities in the Country - CalTech, UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, USC, etc.
The economy of California is often cited for how it would compare to other countries if California were an independent nation. The statistic quoted varies widely, usually placing it between rank 6th and 10th, depending on the source
Hottest women
We've got the ocean, the mountains, valleys, the deserts, the rivers, the forrests.
The weather is the greatest in the country as well. If you like snow, go to the mountains. If you hate the snow, there are plenty of areas where winter is in the low 60's.
And to dispel everyone's biggest problem, that is overpopulation. There are a ton more areas other than San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County that you can live in, so pick a spot.
The California empire has already extended to Nevada and Arizona, so either ways, everyone will be living the California lifestyle soon.
I laughed out loud, especially at the bold part.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:52 AM

3,904 posts, read 4,898,434 times
Default San Francisco

California has everything. I live in San Francisco. The neighborhood I live in has everything. You can walk to anything you want. It is very scenic here. People have a tolerant attitude for their fellow members of the human race and I understand we were voted the most animal friendly city.
That doesn't surprise me. I take my dog everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or