U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Kentucky or Tennessee?
Kentucky 32 21.92%
Tennessee 71 48.63%
I love/like them equally 25 17.12%
I hate/dislike them equally 3 2.05%
Who cares? 15 10.27%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Middleton, Wisconsin
4,229 posts, read 15,405,231 times
Reputation: 2294

Advertisements

I know Pikeville isn't much on the population doesn't it have a college and medical center? I know that doesn't make it a big city but it does have a few of those amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2008, 08:31 PM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
7,402 posts, read 12,937,864 times
Reputation: 30933
Pikeville had an 8 year period when they got all their "amenities". Then Gov. Patton (from Pikeville) left office!

I've lived in Kentucky all my life (so far! lol) . As far as I'm concerned I'll be here till I take my last breath! Tennessee is nice and I enjoy the Smokies and all that area. But Kentucky has it's share of good places too! Did you know the Land Between the Lakes has more tourists visit than the Smokies? My vote went to Kentucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2008, 09:13 PM
 
Location: The City of St. Louis
938 posts, read 3,128,136 times
Reputation: 770
Kentucky!

I like both states, though. East Tennessee is gorgeous, but pretty populated and touristy. The Great Smoky Mountains are beautiful, but surrounded by all the tourist traps in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, major-yuck. I've driven through quite a bit of Kentucky, and it really has a lot of the true down-home country feeling still, and just feels real, a lot like where I grew up in the Ozarks. No where near as much tourist crap. I even like western Kentucky, a really cool drive is on US 60/62 from Paducah to Charleston, MO....awesome pair of twin two-lane bridges spanning the Ohio River and the Mississippi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 PM
 
11,871 posts, read 32,899,856 times
Reputation: 8616
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Kentucky!

I like both states, though. East Tennessee is gorgeous, but pretty populated and touristy. The Great Smoky Mountains are beautiful, but surrounded by all the tourist traps in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, major-yuck. I've driven through quite a bit of Kentucky, and it really has a lot of the true down-home country feeling still, and just feels real, a lot like where I grew up in the Ozarks. No where near as much tourist crap. I even like western Kentucky, a really cool drive is on US 60/62 from Paducah to Charleston, MO....awesome pair of twin two-lane bridges spanning the Ohio River and the Mississippi!
I can't stand the touristy areas of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, either, and it makes me sick to my stomach to see how congested they've become in the last 20 years.

But that's just a miniscule fraction of the total area in East Tennessee. The overwhelming majority of the mountain towns in East Tennessee are small and very non-touristy. Most of the mountain counties in East Tennessee are covered by national forests, state forests and other protected areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2008, 09:30 PM
 
Location: The City of St. Louis
938 posts, read 3,128,136 times
Reputation: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I can't stand the touristy areas of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, either, and it makes me sick to my stomach to see how congested they've become in the last 20 years.

But that's just a miniscule fraction of the total area in East Tennessee. The overwhelming majority of the mountain towns in East Tennessee are small and very non-touristy. Most of the mountain counties in East Tennessee are covered by national forests, state forests and other protected areas.
Good point. I've only really been through Tennessee on I-24, I-40, and I-81 (in addition to crossing through Great Smoky Mountains National Park), whereas I've taken the parkways though Kentucky, and some two-lane backroads. I would really like to see some more of both states though, and do some hiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 PM
 
11,871 posts, read 32,899,856 times
Reputation: 8616
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Good point. I've only really been through Tennessee on I-24, I-40, and I-81 (in addition to crossing through Great Smoky Mountains National Park), whereas I've taken the parkways though Kentucky, and some two-lane backroads. I would really like to see some more of both states though, and do some hiking.
Here are a few pics I found on Google Images of some of the more remote areas of East Tennessee:

Watauga Lake

http://i.pbase.com/o6/23/766423/1/77...yfy.lakesm.jpg

http://www.askjohnsontnus.com/busine...lorful_300.jpg (broken link)

Tellico Lake

http://www.housebutton.com/Lakes/history_img1.jpg

Chilhowee Lake

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2417/...589873.jpg?v=0

Watts Bar Lake

http://www.privatecommunities.com/im...devistabay.jpg

Cherokee Lake

http://k41.pbase.com/v3/77/567677/2/...G_0058copy.jpg

Nickajack Lake

http://www.wataugalaketennessee.com/...he-Harbour.jpg

Lake Norris

http://www.cabinonnorris.com/images/lakeaerialview.jpg (broken link)

Douglas Lake

http://web.cn.edu/foreignlanguages/douglas.jpg

Lake Ocoee

http://www.tnbirds.org/IBA/images/Ch...f%20resize.jpg

South Holston Lake

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/15/21...709ea1.jpg?v=0

Hiwassee River

http://www.greatcarolinaproperty.com...ssee-river.jpg

Nolichucky River

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?p...hoto_id=270005 (broken link)

French Broad River

http://www.rockytophousehunters.com/...stenhanced.jpg

Cherokee National Forest

http://www.telliquah.net/images/cherohala.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 11-08-2014 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Middleton, Wisconsin
4,229 posts, read 15,405,231 times
Reputation: 2294
Awesome Pictures JMT! What I hate is how much developments I'm finding here on the internet in Tennessee. In the mountains in East Tennessee there is subdivisions with golf courses and 500K houses. I think that ruins the landscape. I don't see so much development in Kentucky.

I still say they are both beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 12:47 AM
 
167 posts, read 457,691 times
Reputation: 91
Kentucky for bourbon, and Tennessee for whiskey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 04:54 AM
 
6,351 posts, read 19,343,335 times
Reputation: 9919
Tough one for me; I think both are equally beautiful and would consider both if I were relocating. BUT, because I deliver there frequently, I REALLY like Metro Louisville a lot, so maybe I'll give a slight nod to KY. I like what I see in NKY next to Cincinnati (especially that gorgeous view coming down I-71/75's Cut in the Hill!!!) as well, so, KY is it for me (right now, anyway)

And thanks for the GREAT photos, JMT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,927 posts, read 7,572,134 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Both have beautiful spots, both have ugly spots. Where I lived in TN was the ultimate pits, but Eastern TN is verrrrry beautiful, more so than all the places Ive seen in KY. Both are cheap to live in and have similar weather for the most part... my vote goes to TN, slightly.
And what about the horse farms in KY? TN does not have that, at least nothing as nice as KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top