U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kentucky or Tennessee?
Kentucky 32 21.92%
Tennessee 71 48.63%
I love/like them equally 25 17.12%
I hate/dislike them equally 3 2.05%
Who cares? 15 10.27%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:46 PM

9,433 posts, read 18,334,943 times

Advertisements

Nashville + the Smokies make Tennessee a winner for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,513,264 times
I voted for Kentucky.

Lexington wonderfully combines artsyness, bookishness, and sophistication in one cute, hip, classy town.

Louisville offers impeccable, high-end, farm-to-table Southern cuisine. I love wondering around, gazing at the mansion of Old Louisville or getting lost in Germantown, discovering neat hole-in-the-wall bars, bookstores, or music venues.

Kentucky bourbon trumps Jack Daniels any day. Angel's Envy is my favorite. I also prefer Loretta Lynn to Dolly Parton.

Kentucky-style mutton barbecue is a real treat, not to be missed. Not as sweet as Memphis style.

(Albeit still a slave state,) Kentucky was Union; Tennessee was part of the Confederacy.

I know discussion of skylines has been banned, but the view of Cincinnati's skyline from Covington, Kentucky is one of my favorite skyline views in the country.

Derby pie. I could eat it everyday. A la mode.

Yeah, there's not much completion here. Kentucky is the bomb-digity.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:29 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,542,550 times
Kentucky.
Tennessee has greatest scenery in the middle part of the nation, but the 'vibe' is just different, in a way that is not appealing to me. Im sure living there would be different, though. I do love The Grand Guitar

Old 11-09-2014, 02:39 PM

15,512 posts, read 17,740,343 times
Kentucky.

I love the Ohio River valley.

The Appalachians seem a little less developed (although that comes with downsides as well).

I like the folk culture, food, and Bourbon.

The Horse country and college towns are nice.

I like the Midwestern-Appalachian combo more than the Southern-Appalachian vibe.

I prefer Kentucky's cities and towns by a mile (though I think I would like Knoxville).

Old 11-10-2014, 01:28 AM

215 posts, read 296,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I've never been but they both seem pretty nice and looks like they have some nice scenery.

And they are the #2 and #3 Top Marijuana producing states in the nation after CA , which gets points in my book , so I voted them equally. Not sure what the quality is like there though......
just as good and even better than half the weed in CA or the west coast

you really dont know what you're missing out on

come to TN!

P.S. Kentucky is also basically the hemp capitol of the western world, since colonial times to today.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I like the folk culture, food, and Bourbon.

you would hate it in Tennessee, then.

Although Jim Bean is welcome here anytime, we don't have Bourbon.-we have whiskey!

and back long ago if you called Jack Daniels a bourbon you would get shot. Now you just get sued, LMAO

Old 11-10-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Dude, how many times do we need to tell you this is not the case.

On further reflection: let's corral all the Tourists into the Gatlinburg area and leave the rest of the mountains deserted for those of us who live here.

Works for me!
take all the tourists out of Nashville, while you're at it.
They are pretty cheesy.

btw, NO ONE in Nashville goes around wearing cowboy boots. ONLY the tourists and those trying to make money off of tourists do.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:25 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,597,814 times
Tennessee, for a wide variety of reasons.

1. I've been to Tennessee and not Kentucky, so I'll take the known for the unknown...especially if I had to live in one. I have a pretty positive opinion of Tennessee. I am neutral on Kentucky.
2. Tennessee's culture fits me better. Numerous decent to somewhat large cities (Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, and Chattanooga). Kentucky's bluegrass music culture is awesome, but I prefer Nashville's reputation as Country Music's capital.
3. I live in North Carolina and West Virginia. I prefer the former, and Tennessee fits more with NC while Kentucky has more in common with WV (especially eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia).
4. Tennessee has a better economic picture right now.
5. Both are pretty Republican, so I'm fine with either on that front.
6. Both Tennessee and Kentucky have small Jewish populations, unfortunately, but Tennessee definitely seems better for a Jew like me. Especially Memphis' suburbs where there is a decent Jewish presence in comparison to the rest of TN or all of KY.

I have nothing against Kentucky, but I also don't know much about it. I do know a decent amount of Tennessee.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:42 PM

15,512 posts, read 17,740,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn82 View Post
you would hate it in Tennessee, then.

Although Jim Bean is welcome here anytime, we don't have Bourbon.-we have whiskey!

and back long ago if you called Jack Daniels a bourbon you would get shot. Now you just get sued, LMAO
Oh, I don't think I would hate it, I like Tennessee whiskey, too. I am very open minded in that way :-)

Old 11-10-2014, 02:04 PM

645 posts, read 611,047 times
I thought this to be a debate about bourbons!

Since I haven't been to both places, Kentucky for me! Makers Mark>Jim Beam>JD. Although all three are crap! But MM, is still a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or