U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2008, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Tijuana Exurbs
4,002 posts, read 10,452,658 times
Reputation: 4730

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Central to what? Jobs? Nope. You should try gaining a better understanding of cities and metros beyond "OH LOOK IT HAVE BIG SKYLINE."
I don't know what to make of this post. You've quoted me in blue up above, as though you were responding to me, but you have then quoted someone else entirely within your message. It's certainly not worth my time looking through all of the previous posts to discover who you intended to quote. I'm sure you weren't trying to falsely insert words into my post which I at no time actually wrote. I would like to believe deceit is not a hallmark of your argument style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:17 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,577,242 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I don't know what to make of this post. You've quoted me in blue up above, as though you were responding to me, but you have then quoted someone else entirely within your message. It's certainly not worth my time looking through all of the previous posts to discover who you intended to quote. I'm sure you weren't trying to falsely insert words into my post which I at no time actually wrote. I would like to believe deceit is not a hallmark of your argument style.
You said that SF was the "central city," did you not? Well, I argue that it's central mainly to people of Marin and the upper peninsula but not the whole Bay Area. Your views are apparently rooted firmly in aesthetics alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Northern California
935 posts, read 1,716,607 times
Reputation: 644
San Francisco to me is the downtown of the Bay Area. SJ is nice city, but I hardly go to SJ. For what? Eat at Applebee's or shop at one of the many malls, or the Winchester Mystery house. Ooooo, how exciting....I'm happy staying in The City and I really don't venture out of the city except for Berkeley and occasionally, Oakland. I'll take Berkeley over SJ anyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,433,843 times
Reputation: 8936
I really don't like feeding the ego's of San Franciscan's b/c they're already too big and annoying (like Pistola's comment), but SF is the historical,cultural, and financial center of the Bay Area. San Jose does have more people and lots of good, high paying tech jobs but SF is the city that defines the Bay Area more so than anywhere else. But that doesn't mean it's the only important city in the BA or the only one that matters. SF, Oak, and SJ are all important cities but SF will always be the dominate one for many reasons and will be the one that is the main defining city of the Bay Area. SF is a great city it's just too bad so many people there are completely snobby and arrogant and live in their own little bubble, but luckily there's the east and south bay for the chill, down to earth people and the REAL Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,909 posts, read 12,531,405 times
Reputation: 2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
The fact that San Jose is not part of the SF MSA is an artifact of Census Bureau methodology that will not allow a suburb to be larger than the central city in an MSA.This caused the Bureau to put San Jose into its own MSA when in fact anyone who lives in the Bay Area or has travelled through it, knows that it is one metropolitan area. The 50 miles of separation between SF and SJ is one continuous stretch of block by block urban sprawl.
Theres 300 miles of continuous urban development between DC and NYC along I-95(40 M people). Philaldephia is right in the middle of it but you dont see Philly attempting to use some gimmick to inflate it's ego and economic data.


Quote:
There are no parks, farms, mountains or other natural barriers anywhere going down the bayside of the peninsula between SF and SJ.
But plenty of water. Like 1500 sq miles of it. Theres more sailboats,seals,sharks and squid between SF and SJ than there are people. Cry me a river with the census being Oh so harsh on SF. Philadlephia has some of the wealthiest counties in the usa within 40 miles of its city limits and they get counted in a metro 2x as far away because of political clout(not commuter patterns). Pardon me if I dont shed a tear for Santa Cruz which is 80 miles from SF being counted in seperate msa's.


Lets face it gang metro SF is a bit player on the national scene, it needed a PR ploy like a self appointed merge with areas 50-60-70 miles away. Wa lah we'll call it the Bay Area. Well I'm not buying that contrivance and more importantly either is the census bureau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,577,242 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
San Francisco to me is the downtown of the Bay Area. SJ is nice city, but I hardly go to SJ. For what? Eat at Applebee's or shop at one of the many malls, or the Winchester Mystery house. Ooooo, how exciting....I'm happy staying in The City and I really don't venture out of the city except for Berkeley and occasionally, Oakland. I'll take Berkeley over SJ anyday.
How do you constantly defend Sacramento and then come back with this stupid **** about SJ? You're trying way too hard to be San Franciscan. You make jabs about chain stores and such, but then you all pile into your friend's car (the one friend who didn't revel in getting rid of a car) and make your biweekly trips to Target in Daly City or Ikea in Emeryville. You act like the rest of us but keep up a much different facade.

By the way, last time I was there, someone made the same formulaic comment as you but they subbed in Olive Garden for Applebee's. This time, just as then, there's exactly one location in this city. Do some research before being a smartass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I really don't like feeding the ego's of San Franciscan's b/c they're already too big and annoying (like Pistola's comment), but SF is the historical,cultural, and financial center of the Bay Area. San Jose does have more people and lots of good, high paying tech jobs but SF is the city that defines the Bay Area more so than anywhere else. But that doesn't mean it's the only important city in the BA or the only one that matters. SF, Oak, and SJ are all important cities but SF will always be the dominate one for many reasons and will be the one that is the main defining city of the Bay Area. SF is a great city it's just too bad so many people there are completely snobby and arrogant and live in their own little bubble, but luckily there's the east and south bay for the chill, down to earth people and the REAL Bay Area.
Why does there have to be one "center" versus another? There are three in total, not three battling for one spot. I know SF defines the Bay Area in many minds. That doesn't bother me or most people outside that city. Creating a distinct identity is apparently viewed as declaration of war, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Northern California
935 posts, read 1,716,607 times
Reputation: 644
^
Because Sac is my hometown. You defend your city, I'll defend mine. I wasn't bashing SJ. I like the city. There is great weather, nice people and cool things to see. I'm simply saying if I want to hang out an some hip restaurant or cafe or museum in SJ, I can do that here in SF. When I'm in Sac, I don't venture out to Rocklin, Roseville, or Elk Grove. Why? Because there isn't anything for me to check out. I stay within the City of Sacramento.
Now there are many dislikes I have with SF, the weather, the attitude, homeless, etc. But there are more things that I like about the City than dislikes. That's why I enjoy living here.
There are many Californian's that bash Sac, but I don't get offended. They don't need to tell me what they hate about it because I know what I like. I'm sure there are plenty of things u dislike about Sac. It's your opinion. I know what mine is.
Back to SJ, I don't own a car nor do I want to, but the minute they build a Bart station down there, I'll probably go more often and check out a Sharks game.
But for now, everything I do is centered around SF, Oak and Berkeley.

About you calling me a smart ass. Thanks for the compliment. I like talking about the good of a city rather than the bad. In fact, I've defended SJ in other threads, but you keep it up, then I might have to print Anti-SJ t-shirts.

Here's to you SJ, I love you! Cheers.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,577,242 times
Reputation: 2829
So then your whole mini-slur was rooted in the fact that you perceived my comments to mean I thought SJ was the center of the Bay Area? I don't think anyone would argue that.

And I was not ripping Sac, merely implying that it is very much like SJ. Extremely differing opinions on the two would not make much sense in my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 04:02 PM
 
Location: New England & The Maritimes
2,116 posts, read 4,204,762 times
Reputation: 1114
can you move your whine-fest to the cali forum?

Sacramento and San Jose aren't even on this list..... obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Northern California
935 posts, read 1,716,607 times
Reputation: 644
^
Yeah I got all rattle up there. What is this thread about again? US vs the World. I'll take the world.

All that I'm reading is whether SJ is included in the Bay Area metro.....which it is. SF Bay Area is much bigger than Philly's. Tho some say they're separated...which is absurb. I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top