Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,016 times

Advertisements

MasterCard has recently named 75 most influential world cities that drive the global economy. The United States has 11 cities on the list. New York & Chicago are the only two North American cities in the top 10 globally.

Overall, this study indicated a drop in rankings for most US cities since 2007 with the exception of New York, Philadelphia & Dallas. Philadelphia (#18), a rising star in global commerce could surpass Los Angeles (#17) and become the third most important economy center in America after New York and Chicago.

This Worldwide Centers of Commerce study is led by a panel of leading experts in economics, finance, urban development, consulting, and social science from many institutions around the world.

Overall 2008 Rankings

1 London United Kingdom
2 New York United States
3 Tokyo Japan
4 Singapore Singapore
5 Chicago United States
6 Hong Kong Hong Kong
7 Paris France
8 Frankfurt Germany
9 Seoul South Korea
10 Amsterdam Netherlands
11 Madrid Spain
12 Sydney Australia
13 Toronto Canada
14 Copenhagen Denmark
15 Zurich Switzerland
16 Stockholm Sweden
17 Los Angeles United States
18 Philadelphia United States

19 Osaka Japan
20 Milan Italy
21 Boston United States
22 Taipei Taiwan
23 Berlin Germany
24 Shanghai China
25 Atlanta United States
26 Vienna Austria
27 Munich Germany
28 San Francisco United States
29 Miami United States
30 Brussels Belgium
31 Dublin Ireland
32 Montreal Canada
33 Hamburg Germany
34 Houston United States
35 Dallas United States
36 Washington D.C. United States

37 Vancouver Canada
38 Barcelona Spain
39 Dusseldorf Germany
40 Geneva Switzerland
41 Melbourne Australia
42 Bangkok Thailand
43 Edinburgh United Kingdom
44 Dubai United Arab Emirates
45 Tel Aviv Israel
46 Lisbon Portugal
47 Rome Italy
48 Mumbai India
49 Prague Czech Republic
50 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
51 Moscow Russia
52 Budapest Hungary
53 Santiago Chile
54 Mexico City Mexico
55 Athens Greece
56 Sao Paulo Brazil
57 Beijing China
58 Johannesburg South Africa
59 Warsaw Poland
60 Shenzhen China
61 New Delhi India
62 Bogota Colombia
63 Buenos Aires Argentina
64 Istanbul Turkey
65 Rio de Janeiro Brazil
66 Bangalore India
67 St. Petersburg Russia
68 Jakarta Indonesia
69 Riyadh Saudi Arabia
70 Cairo Egypt
71 Manila Philippines
72 Chengdu China
73 Chongqing China
74 Beirut Lebanon
75 Caracas Venezuela

http://www.mastercard.com/us/company...eport_2008.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
This report is very misleading and actually counts such things as five-star hotels and restaurants as more important than real trade and commerce. More of a "best places for people in banking to travel to" list. Funny and inconsistent at best.

First of all,
There is absolutely, unequivocally no way in bloody hell that Philadelphia is anywhere near as important as Los Angeles, economically or otherwise. LA is in the highest echelons of world cities and Philadelphia, quite frankly is not.

Stockholm and Singapore above LA?????

Excuse me dimwits at MasterCard, but LA is the center of SoCal's $1 Trillion economy, that's far more important imo than how many five-star hotels there are in Hong Kong.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 PM

Oh,
and San Francisco is not beneath Philadelphia, Atlanta or Boston economically. What a crazed thing to even suggest.

The Bay Area makes mince meat out of all those places with no effort whatsoever. Trade and Commerce? Finance? Globalization? Technology? As a magnet for talent from around the world? Even in total Gross output and so on.

Now that I think about it, The Bay Area is probably on par with Chicago and LA in its influence over the world these days.

Sorry guys but no.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
I was going to disagree with this list,but I knew people would say how us Texans always expect to be the best lol.

I'd expect Houston to be much higher and above Philadelphia,Miami,ATL,and maybe Boston.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I was going to disagree with this list,but I knew people would say how us Texans always expect to be the best lol.

I'd expect Houston to be much higher and above Philadelphia,Miami,ATL,and maybe Boston.
If a real study where conducted, I suspect that economically, Houston would be in the Top 5 US Cities alongside NY, LA, SF and Chicago.

Its Energy industry is vital to the national economy.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:51 PM

I guess you're bitter because SF ranks way down the list, huh? The way you have responsed tells me you did not read the report thoroughly.

People could care less about SoCal's $1trillion economy because its role in driving global economy is not that significant. The economy of LA is important for the SoCal region, but has little impact to the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This report is very misleading and actually counts such things as five-star hotels and restaurants as more important than real trade and commerce. More of a "best places for people in banking to travel to" list. Funny and inconsistent at best.

First of all,
There is absolutely, unequivocally no way in bloody hell that Philadelphia is anywhere near as important as Los Angeles, economically or otherwise. LA is in the highest echelons of world cities and Philadelphia, quite frankly is not.

Stockholm and Singapore above LA?????

Excuse me dimwits at MasterCard, but LA is the center of SoCal's $1 Trillion economy, that's far more important imo than how many five-star hotels there are in Hong Kong.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
I guess you're bitter because SF ranks way down the list, huh? The way you have responsed tells me you did not read the report thoroughly.
Sorry,
ButI read this report a few months ago and its total tosh. You cannot convince me that Philadelphia is above LA or SF. That's absurd and nonsensical.

Quote:
People could care less about SoCal's $1trillion economy because its role in driving global economy is not that significant. The economy of LA is important for the SoCal region, but has little impact to the world.
What a crock. Los Angeles is an absolute trendsetter in fashion, music and entertainment which equates to massive influence in the spending habits of hundreds of millions of consumers around the world on a daily basis.

I love how that is seen as insignificant. Puhleeze.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 PM

I did not say Philadelphia is above LA, at least ..not yet. However, Philly has a shot at it.

Again, we're not talking about "size" or "Hollywood" crap here, ok?

I am not trying to convince you about anything. That's the job of these people

The Panel

Dr. Michael Goldberg
Professor Emeritus
Sauder School of Business
University of British Columbia, Canada

Dr. Yuwa Hedrick-Wong
Economic Advisor
MasterCard Worldwide
Asia/Pacific Region, Singapore

Mr. Manu Bhaskaran
Partner/Head
Economic Research
Centennial Group, Singapore

Professor Fan Gang
Director
National Economic Research Institute
Beijing, China

Dr. Maurice Levi
Bank of Montreal Professor
of International Finance
Sauder School of Business
University of British Columbia, Canada

Dr. Anthony Pellegrini
Partner/ Director of the Urban and
Infrastructure Policy and Finance Practice
Centennial Group, Washington, D.C., USA

Professor Saskia Sassen
Helen and Robert Lynd Professor of Sociology
Committee on Global Thought and
Department of Sociology
Columbia University

Professor Peter J. Taylor
Co-Director, Globalization and World
Cities Research Group and Network
Loughborough University, UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry,
ButI read this report a few months ago and its total tosh. You cannot convince me that Philadelphia is above LA or SF. That's absurd and nonsensical.

What a crock. Los Angeles is an absolute trendsetter in fashion, music and entertainment which equates to massive influence in the spending habits of hundreds of millions of consumers around the world on a daily basis.

I love how that is seen as insignificant. Puhleeze.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:20 PM

140 posts, read 562,710 times
Yeah.
Southern California's Entertainment Industry has not only been the envy of the world.
But has greatly, greatly influenced the world as well.
But, I can't see how movies contribute to globalization.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Philadelphia had its shot at surpassing LA like a hundred years ago.

Not now. Sorry.

And its not just Philadelphia. Among the Top 20, Id only place London, NY, Tokyo and possibly Paris above LA. Nowhere else.

I dont mean to be a LA booster cause I dont even live there, but sometimes these sorts of rankings are sooo off the mark that they have to be called out for their BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.